DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

As far as i'm aware its still considered a muscle buster. There is the suplex variation and that one. Shame that it was botched. Hope Kagetsu will be ok.

The have seven titles at the moment. Two of them are held by Utami who broke her finger in training and had to forfeit the rest of her GP matches.

I guess that's who came out beforehand to apologize for getting hurt and changing the card around.

2 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I guess that's who came out beforehand to apologize for getting hurt and changing the card around.

That would be correct. Shame you missed out on seeing her wrestle. She isn't quite the super rookie they push her as, but the potential is definitely there. Her GP matches up till then were pretty nice.

Just saw the muscle buster that was referenced. It didn’t look like a botch, and I think Kagetsu was extra selling to put over the move. This actually looked like the safe way this move is executed. With the person executing the move letting lose at the end, and the wrestler slipping out before getting crunched on the shoulder. 

Correct, if I’m wrong. Isn’t the first time she’s won a match using the Kinniku Buster?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just saw the muscle buster that was referenced. It didn’t look like a botch, and I think Kagetsu was extra selling to put over the move. This actually looked like the safe way this move is executed. With the person executing the move letting lose at the end, and the wrestler slipping out before getting crunched on the shoulder. 

Correct, if I’m wrong. Isn’t the first time she’s won a match using the Kinniku Buster?

It is. She debuted it against Kagetsu in their World Of Stardom Title match, but she had yet to put anyone away with it in her other big title matches (vs. Momo & Arisa).

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I guess this was the death sell. I hope this means Kyona is getting the big push she’s deserved for some time now.

Would be nice, but I don't see it happening though it would make sense with her having beaten the most recent red belt champions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Guilia from ice Ribbon jumped to Stardom. The situation looks bad since no onein IR but it's president knew she was leaving, and it sounds like she might have done so earlier than she was supposed to due to the cancelled show where she was supposed to make her announcement being rescheduled. 

Edited by Eivion

Ice Ribbon gave an official statement that YAPPY translated. If they are telling the truth Giulia basically sprung this on everyone on the 13th and then rushed to get hired by Rossy who was an idiot and didn't do his due diligence in checking up on her contract status properly. Giulia and Ice Ribbon are trying to work things out now according to Stardom though just reading the twitter responses via goofle fans are kind of pissed Stardom is putting all of the negotiation on Giulia after claiming her as their own.

Everything is happening. I would love it. Hopefully they can bring it to a broader audience, pump some money into presentation, and get fans that aren't 58-year-old preverts wearing wife beaters (yes this is a gross generalization but you get my drift. It's a dirty feeling I get watching a lot of joshi because of how gross the fanbase is compared to the golden days). 

If it were to happen, do you think they would revamp Stardom World or would they offer it as part of NJPW World and perhaps make less money but increase its viewership? 

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

I guess it should be worth mentioning the Bushiroad buying Stardom rumors floating around.  I'm not sure how it would work, but if true that would shake up the joshi scene even more for sure.

This feels unlikely. I have trouble seeing Ogawa selling.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

This feels unlikely. I have trouble seeing Ogawa selling.

He probably isn’t. The thing is, isn’t the ultimate goal for a Japanese promotion to get a company to invest in your promotion? Like, it’s not like New Japan became a different wrestling company when Bushiroad bought them. They just got more money pumped into them to promote themselves, and in infrastructure. So if Bushiroad gets Stardom, I don’t see Rossy going anywhere. Even Ogawa once said “I’m here to make money... Mother fuckers!”

Funny, I just guessed that was the big news coming out of Japan. But it makes so much sense with all these talent signings. With how cheaply Stardom has been run, I see no way that Stardom can lure these women away unless they recently got a major backer.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Funny, I just guessed that was the big news coming out of Japan. But it makes so much sense with all these talent signings. With how cheaply Stardom has been run, I see no way that Stardom can lure these women away unless they recently got a major backer.

Stardom is one of, if not, the biggest money making joshi promotion in Japan. They run the most shows and have consistently solid-good attendance. They got into streaming before the others, and the ROH relationship along with Kairi and Io joining WWE actually grew their subscribers by a wide margin.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Stardom is one of, if not, the biggest money making joshi promotion in Japan. They run the most shows and have consistently solid-good attendance. They got into streaming before the others, and the ROH relationship along with Kairi and Io joining WWE actually grew their subscribers by a wide margin.

He still cheaply runs the promotion. All of a sudden Rossy decides to pony up for talent. Somethings up, dudes. Hat Man can’t afford a bigger hat wardrobe with just money made from selling Hana pillow dolls. He needs that trading card money.

...And Giulia is all “I’m KENTA now. What’s an Ice Ribbon”. Somethings up!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He still cheaply runs the promotion. All of a sudden Rossy decides to pony up for talent. Somethings up, dudes. Hat Man can’t afford a bigger hat wardrobe with just money made from selling Hana pillow dolls. He needs that trading card money.

They were never able to not afford talent. Its not the easiest convincing people to join. Their general success has just made them more appealing. You have to remember Io and Kairi took pay cuts joining NXT. If it feels like Rossy has gathered more than usual that is likely because one of his goals was to increase the roster to 30 by the year's end.

We've now entered that confusing territory where Japanese wrestling news twitter is quoting Meltzer about stuff happening in Japan which sort of mucks up searching for news in Japan. It now looks like "everyone" in Japan is talking about the NXT Japan and Stardom rumors but everything is coming from that one source (Meltzer). I'm not saying he is wrong but this is taking everyone everywhere by surprise, I assume.

• Like 1