DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s the difficulty? Is it translating the promos? Editing the footage together? They need to find an easier process, and maybe also get permission to use the Samurai TV footage.

Translating, editing, etc. Keep in mind that is all still being done by one guy. Really they need to hire someone to work with him. He does too much as it is. They will never get Samurai TV footage, and I'm entirely sure why you think they would need it. Keep in mind with them trying to be timely it wouldn't be the best idea to wait for it anyways (it too them 3+ months just to get the Fite footage for the US show).

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They will never get Samurai TV footage, and I'm entirely sure why you think they would need it.

I’ve seen their Samurai TV taped shows. They look so much better than the handheld footage that they put on there own streaming service. It’s like if New Japan still used the tripod cam for their G1’s. You do things like that to make the product look professional. I like Stardom, but their streamed shows look like a Smart Mark produced show circa 2006 without commentary.

On the matter of waiting, I’ve noticed All Japan have been able to air their Samurai TV footage up live, and day of taping. So it shouldn’t be hard to get that stuff quickly for them. If they feel it will hurt their TV ratings, then offer it only for international streaming customers. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Translating, editing, etc. Keep in mind that is all still being done by one guy. Really they need to hire someone to work with him. He does too much as it is. They will never get Samurai TV footage, and I'm entirely sure why you think they would need it. Keep in mind with them trying to be timely it wouldn't be the best idea to wait for it anyways (it too them 3+ months just to get the Fite footage for the US show).

It took 3 month because of the contract they had with Fite (they got 3 month exclusive streaming rights). 

First two matches from the first night have been uploaded (Utami/Jungle and Kagetsu/Komani) and both are pretty great.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve seen their Samurai TV taped shows. They look so much better than the handheld footage that they put on there own streaming service. It’s like if New Japan still used the tripod cam for their G1’s. You do things like that to make the product look professional. I like Stardom, but their streamed shows look like a Smart Mark produced show circa 2006 without commentary.

On the matter of waiting, I’ve noticed All Japan have been able to air their Samurai TV footage up live, and day of taping. So it shouldn’t be hard to get that stuff quickly for them. If they feel it will hurt their TV ratings, then offer it only for international streaming customers. 

Keep in mind that NJPW has way the hell more money to use than Stardom.

No idea how deals with Samurai tv work, but I don't think such a thing is possible with Stardom at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

It took 3 month because of the contract they had with Fite (they got 3 month exclusive streaming rights). 

Yes, that was kind of my point.The footage Samurai shoots is technically owned by Samurai. Even if they were able to make a deal for it, it would be delayed.

Yeah, apparently the guy that was editing and translating their shows was getting pushed out, but it looks like the uproar (the last show upload had pretty bad, misspelled translations) made them change their minds and put him back in charge starting in a week or so.

Yeah he won't go into to full details, but it sounds like someone on the corporate side has an issue with gaijins and might have used the chance for when he was out of the country, for a funeral no less, to try and ice him out. He mentioned he would return either today or tomorrow so I expect uploads to resume by the weekend's end.

Edited by Eivion

But they sure love gaijin gals.

How about hire two guys to translate, hire two guys to edit, and hire a guy to do graphics. Like an assembly line. That way everything doesn’t take weeks to be uploaded. They’ve been doing this for a while now, so they have no excuse for this kind of stuff to happen. 

The Japanese twitter runner did some uploads but the subs were piss poor. And unless you know their finances there is no real way to know if what you're asking for is cost-effective. It would be nice for us, but it may hurt finances.

Edited by Eivion

From what I remember reading, a bunch of the parents of the younger wrestlers help out at running shows so I don't imagine they're exactly the biggest organization.  I know the shows I went to last year, it wasn't hugely staffed.  Some trianees were ticket takers for example.

Just an update: while uploads could start again before then, it looks like Sonny (the guy running the English twitter, adds subs, and uploads vids to Stardom World) won't be back in Japan until Thursday (Wed. night in the US).

Aside from NJPW and Dragon Gate most groups in Japan rely on their rookies and undercard people to run things, it seems like. And even Dragon Gate had Anthony Mori working the ticket window  at the Kokusai Center in Hakata.

And hiring two translators would be a big cost. No one who can do it who is in Japan is going to give up other work (editing research papers and the like) that can definitely get them more money.

• Like 1

Stardom right now is that moment in time when the rights to Dragonball Z’s American distribution were up in the air, so re-runs always ended on the episode where Burter, and Jeice discover that Goku was dodging them with super speed, but looking like he was standing in place.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Went to the Stardom show at Shin-Kiba today. They rushed thru the show because of the tourney matches and the typhoon incoming. Some interesting tourney results: Azumi beat HANA (who then beat the hell outta Daichi), Hazuki beat Iwatani and Jungle Kyona beat Kagetsu. The Kagetsu/Jungle match was possibly newsworthy. Jungle hit Kagetsu with a Rainmaker-->Tombstone-->Powerbomb combo that should have been the finish. (Not the least reason being it looked like a deadly combo) But she ended up hitting Kagetsu with a Muscle Buster type move, had the Muscle Buster set-up, but dropped straight down on her ass for like a neckbreaker type move. I'm sure there's a name for it but I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, it looked like Kagetsu slipped out of Jungle's grip and fell right on her head. She got tended to, rolled out of the ring and walked to the back but looked to be in pain. Have to watch the replay to see if it was as bad as it seemed.

It's been a while since I've seen any Stardom but it's good to know they still have so many titles that half the wrestlers don't even bother to bring them to the ring.

BTW, Is Bea Priestley's name really pronounced press-lee? If not, she better tell Rossy.

Edited by Trocar Slush Weasel

On 9/1/2019 at 2:43 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But they sure love gaijin gals.

How about hire two guys to translate, hire two guys to edit, and hire a guy to do graphics. Like an assembly line. That way everything doesn’t take weeks to be uploaded. They’ve been doing this for a while now, so they have no excuse for this kind of stuff to happen. 

or just hire 1 additional person to reupload all the archives that were previously on Stardom World in the interim.

2 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Went to the Stardom show at Shin-Kiba today. They rushed thru the show because of the tourney matches and the typhoon incoming. Some interesting tourney results: Azumi beat HANA (who then beat the hell outta Daichi), Hazuki beat Iwatani and Jungle Kyona beat Kagetsu. The Kagetsu/Jungle match was possibly newsworthy. Jungle hit Kagetsu with a Rainmaker-->Tombstone-->Powerbomb combo that should have been the finish. (Not the least reason being it looked like a deadly combo) But she ended up hitting Kagetsu with a Muscle Buster type move, had the Muscle Buster set-up, but dropped straight down on her ass for like a neckbreaker type move. I'm sure there's a name for it but I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, it looked like Kagetsu slipped out of Jungle's grip and fell right on her head. She got tended to, rolled out of the ring and walked to the back but looked to be in pain. Have to watch the replay to see if it was as bad as it seemed.

It's been a while since I've seen any Stardom but it's good to know they still have so many titles that half the wrestlers don't even bother to bring them to the ring.

BTW, Is Bea Priestley's name really pronounced press-lee? If not, she better tell Rossy.

As far as i'm aware its still considered a muscle buster. There is the suplex variation and that one. Shame that it was botched. Hope Kagetsu will be ok.

They have seven titles at the moment. Two of them are held by Utami who broke her finger in training and had to forfeit the rest of her GP matches.

Edited by Eivion