DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

4 hours ago, AverageKong said:

Arisa Hoshiki kept her momentum rolling from the Cinderella tourney and pinned Momo Watanabe for the Wonder of Stardom title.  

Wasn't happy about to read this one. Arisa was nowhere near as over as Natsuko or Konami during the Cinderella tournament, and Momo had one of the biggest the white belt runs ever. This really should have gone to Kyona or Hazuki. Feels like Ogawa trying to backtrack to plans he had years ago.

Arisa just signed full time and apparently has a singing career they're trying to sponge off of so it's not a big surprise.  Figure Momo's in line to win the 5 Star Grand Prix and get the Red Belt.  Might be pretty in the long run to move the White Belt back to the mid card since Momo pretty much went thru the whole roster.

Yeah it seemed like they're investing a little extra energy into Arisa for some reason. I do feel she needs this more than Kyona and Hazuki because she isnt as popular at the moment. I dont mind her, in fact I rather like Arisa, but they're going to have to be careful with how they continue to push her.

Well the cards for next weekend's shows are up and they have Arisa tagging with Saki and kid to take on Momo and Bea. Could just be that whatever might have happened changed with several people being out, but it could also be them build to either a rematch between Momo and Arisa or a red belt match between Bea and Arisa.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, nofuture said:

Arisa just signed full time and apparently has a singing career they're trying to sponge off of so it's not a big surprise.  Figure Momo's in line to win the 5 Star Grand Prix and get the Red Belt.  Might be pretty in the long run to move the White Belt back to the mid card since Momo pretty much went thru the whole roster.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if this doesn't happen quite yet if only because of Momo's white belt reign. She ran through nearly all of the orster. The only solid names she hadn't defended against were Bea and Konami. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might be my favourite of all the ones I’ve watched. That said, all of them are fascinating, honest and well researched. I’m still marveling at the sight of Jun Kasai cradling his newborn whilst his wifo makes razor boards for him

Edited by matwarz

On 6/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, Eivion said:

I heard they tried to ask AZM a bs question about being an idol with her avoiding the bait. Is that true?

Not quite.  The segment more dealt with Japanese culture in relation to the "Idol" movement and how that effects Stardom. The question was more about the pressure to perform up to the "expectation" of the fans and how that correlates to merch sales.  Rossy pretty much comes out and says that even though AZM is young, she acts older which doesn't translate to merch sales compared to someone like Starlight Kid who sells a lot more and is more popular.

I though the documentary was pretty well made and fair, well worth checking out.  Some pretty great profiles on Mayu and Kris Wolf.  Rossy does come off very cold and more a business man that only care about money than the wrestlers.

Edited by nofuture
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Not quite.  The segment more dealt with Japanese culture in relation to the "Idol" movement and how that effects Stardom. The question was more about the pressure to perform up to the "expectation" of the fans and how that correlates to merch sales.  Rossy pretty much comes out and says that even though AZM is young, she acts older which doesn't translate to merch sales compared to someone like Starlight Kid who sells a lot more and is more popular.

I though the documentary was pretty well made and fair, well worth checking out.  Some pretty great profiles on Mayu and Kris Wolf.  Rossy does come off very cold and more a business man that only care about money than the wrestlers.

Might have to check it out then.

Not surprised about Rossy. The general stuff you hear about him and how he acts gives the impression he doesn't want to deal too much with the personal side of things since it would affect how he runs his business. It doesn't sound like he is completely cold despite this. I heard something about him taking care of Mayu after a bad incident.

He’s clearly a very serious fan just like you and me. But, he’s a business man who runs his business as such. The minute you do otherwise you lose money like water.

Mayu features extensively in the doco. She has had and continues to have her issues. It’s well worth 45 mins rather than me writing it down here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kasey Owens is out of the 5*GP due to visa issues. AZM will be replacing her. I don;t watch watch the Owens enough to know how they are usually, but I've never been impressed with them so this is a good upgrade to me. AZM is so darn good at her age. She will win practically nothing, but I'm ok with that.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:22 AM, Oyaji said:

I am having a panic attack over Stardom replacing their intro. I need that old song in my life. ?

I’m more bothered that they don’t just fucking upload the show in one fucking file so I won’t have to sit through a goddamn intro 300 times!