DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Chigusa Nagayo had a press conference today.  She's producing a new show, which will feature KAORU's return from a 3 year absence AND a Chigusa vs Dump reprisal (you didn't really think Chigusa would never wrestle again, did you?  I think her middle name is "Funk").  I could see people like Kagetsu and Takumi Iroha being Chigusa's lieutenants.  I wonder if they'll dig up some old-school AJW heels to team with Dump.  Bull Nakano would be awesome for nostalgia and she was at the press conference, but my guess is that she won't actually work the match.

Isn't Ota Ward Gym a pretty big building?

Anyone that understands and can translate spoken Japanese would be loved!

CHIGUSA NAGAYO PRODUCE "Marvelous Night VI: That's Women's Pro-Wrestling" March 22, 2014

Tokyo Ota Ward Gymnasium

1. Chigusa Nagayo, X, & X vs Dump Matsumoto, X, & X

2. Sakura Hirota vs Eiger

3. X, X, & X vs X, X, & X

4. DIANA Offer match: Kyoko Inoue & Sareee vs Yumiko Hotta & Mima Shimoda

5. DASH Chisako & Sendai Sachiko vs Natsuki*Taiyo & Io Shirai

6. Shinobu Kandori, Meiko Satomura, & X vs KAORU, Takako Inoue, & Ayako Hamada

Thanks, 1Joshi. I thought it had to be something like that. I think she definitely could have gone somewhere after JWP went into hibernation, had she not retired due to injuries.

On a similar tangent, does anybody know why they had a bunch of their young stars (Kanako Montoya, Tomoko Miyaguchi, Reiko Amano) change their ring names (Kana Mizaki, Ran Yu-Yu, and Carlos Amano, respectively) in the late 90's?

So, Sunday night was a big night for JWP, as Arisa Nakajima won the title from Kana, and the Sendai Sisters beat Ray and Leon to win both of JWP's tag belts.

Did anybody go to the show? I have to imagine the Arisa/Kana match had a real "big match" atmosphere to it. Did anything else of note happen?

Someone on another board went and called the JWP show "fun" but didn't really elaborate on it.

STARDOM is running two year end show, one at IMP Hall in Osaka and the other at Korakuen.  The Osaka show has Kaori Yoneyama vs Yuhi for the High Speed title and Nanae Takahashi/Miho Wakizawa vs Kyoko Kimura/Act Yasukawa for the tag titles.  Korakuen has Kimura/Alpha Female/Female Predator "Amazon" vs Wakizawa/Hiroyo Matsumoto/Mayu Iwatani for the trios titles, Act vs Kelly Skater for the "white belt", Yoneyama vs Natsuki*Taiyo in a match that will be for the High Speed title if Yone still has it, a generational battle with Nanae & Meiko Satomura vs Yoshiko & Kagetsu, and a title unification match between red belt holder Io Shirai and the new JWP champ Arisa Nakajima.  That match has "time-limit draw" written all over it--I don't think either one is going to hold both titles.

• 2 weeks later...

As was likely expected, Io Shirai and Arisa Nakajima went to a time-limit draw at STARDOM's show on Saturday. At that same show, Natsuki Taiyo beat Kaori Yoneyama to win the High Speed Title for the second time. Looked like a good show, and they reportedly had a decent gate. So that's good.

What's the backstory to the Kudo/Ozaki feud from 97?

I know they had 2 matches (which don't hold up that well), the street fight from JWP with Ozaki teaming with Rieko Amano and Kudo teaming with RIE and the no rope barbwire death match from FMW.

Aside from that, I haven't seen any other matches between them.

What's the backstory to it though? Were they just fighting for the queen of hardcore title or something?

What's the backstory to the Kudo/Ozaki feud from 97?

I know they had 2 matches (which don't hold up that well), the street fight from JWP with Ozaki teaming with Rieko Amano and Kudo teaming with RIE and the no rope barbwire death match from FMW.

Aside from that, I haven't seen any other matches between them.

What's the backstory to it though? Were they just fighting for the queen of hardcore title or something?

Kudo was the biggest women's star at the time and wanted to do a bunch of dream matches before she retired. Everyone drew some good houses and interest so everyone won.

Ah yes, totally forgot it was around the time of her retirement, but I had no idea it was part of her retirement tour. Thanks for clearing that up.

Upon re-watch now a days, those matches between Kudo and Ozaki don't really hold up that well.

The original plan was to have Kudo/Ozaki in an exploding barned wire match if I recall, but Ozaki wasn't available for the retirement show so they slotted in Shark instead. I think that's what either Zach or Lorefice wrote

James

Which would've been a much better match imo.

Kudo got a decent match out of Shark of all people iirc, though that match may also be in for a re-watch. Either way, getting anything good out of Shark is praise worthy in itself as Shark was pretty horrible.

I don't think there's a better heel in Japanese wrestling history than Dump Matsumoto. She couldn't rock the mat like Yoshida, throw stiff strikes like Aja or have cool suplexes like Manami, but she could brawl, was a great base for opponents offense and no one could work a Japanese crowd like her which is all that she needed and was required from her.

Her matches with the Crush Gals namely the hair matches with Chigusa and the matches with the Jumping Bomb Angels are matches that hold up very well to this day and are still some of the best matches I've ever seen.

Credit to Zenjo though for giving her taylormade opponents who meshed well in the ring with her.

The original plan was to have Kudo/Ozaki in an exploding barned wire match if I recall, but Ozaki wasn't available for the retirement show so they slotted in Shark instead. I think that's what either Zach or Lorefice wrote

James

Never heard that story before anywhere and it wouldn't have made any sense at all from a significance stand point. Shark was Kudo's career long rival, OZ was someone she'd had no prior history with beyond them thinking it'd be a cool dream match to get in before she retired and both were known for hardcore brawling. 

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of random thoughts:

80's Joshi is really overlooked. I think more people should check out more 80's Joshi. It just seems that whenever someone's talking about Joshi, they just mostly focus on the highly praised great 90's matches, but oversee the greatness that was there in the 80's.

The 80's had great matches which hold up a lot better now than a lot of the great 90's matches. The 80's had stuff like Jackie Sato vs. Monster Ripper which was good aside from the crappy ending, Dump & Crane Yu vs. Devil & Jaguar from 8/84, Dump vs. Jaguar from 10/84, Dump & Bull vs. the Jumping Bomb Angels series from 85, the Dump vs. Chigusa series including both hair matches, the great Devil vs. Lioness match and Jaguar vs. Chigusa match from 8/85.

The atmosphere in the 80's was a lot better than the atmosphere in the 90's too. 

Also Devil and Jaguar's comeback punches are amazing.

I re-watched some of the 90's matches that are on Ditch's site and they don't really hold up as well as the 80's matches. Once I get done watching the tons of 80's AJW classics I have listed up, I'll re-watch some of the highly praised 90's matches like the Hokuto vs. Kandori series, some of the highly praised inter promotional matches and some other matches like Toyota vs. Yamada hair match and the Toyota & Yamada vs. Kansai & Ozaki series.

I think outside of the Chigusa/Dump Hair matches my favorite Joshi match ever is that Jumping Bomb Angels v. Dump/Bull match from 1/9/87with the great post match brawl, with Tateno and Yamazaki just throwing themselves at Dump over and over again because they are so royally pissed off at how they got screwed over. The whole vibe is so "Fuck no we're not going to stand for this bullshit!" and they just go Type A crazy on, what I think is, one of the Matsunaga Brothers demanding some Goddam JUSTICE!~!

James

I think outside of the Chigusa/Dump Hair matches my favorite Joshi match ever is that Jumping Bomb Angels v. Dump/Bull match from 1/9/87with the great post match brawl, with Tateno and Yamazaki just throwing themselves at Dump over and over again because they are so royally pissed off at how they got screwed over. The whole vibe is so "Fuck no we're not going to stand for this bullshit!" and they just Type A crazy on, what I think is, one of the Matsunaga Brothers demanding some Goddam JUSTICE!~!

James

Co-signed. That match is dooooope just by how crazy it is. I also like the first Devil Masami vs. Chigusa Nagayo match (I think it's their first), I can't recall the date, but close to the finish is basically the two of them just trading punches.