DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I would guess the foreigners they have been working with.  I mean Toni Storm is already signed with WWE, right?  And Xia Brookside has a pretty significant in with WWE.

I can't remember if WWE has an issue with hiring people before they turn 21 or putting them on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up not getting an offer for a couple of years, unless they park her in NXT.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they offered something to Bea Priestley to try and lure Will Ospreay in.

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

I can't remember if WWE has an issue with hiring people before they turn 21 or putting them on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up not getting an offer for a couple of years, unless they park her in NXT.

They really try not to

They did it with Paige and a lot of the reasons why they try to avoid having people that young work the main roster popped up.

That being said... Paige didn't have her Dad working in the company

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen Toni Storm before now, and I was just settling in for a 2017 red belt title match between her and Mayu. Match started off looking like it was going to be pretty solid, and then Mayu appears to have legit f***** up her elbow. 

Storm definitely seemed unhappy about winning that way. 

What came of that? Did they ever get to have a legit rematch? I'd like to watch it.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I have not seen Toni Storm before now, and I was just settling in for a 2017 red belt title match between her and Mayu. Match started off looking like it was going to be pretty solid, and then Mayu appears to have legit f***** up her elbow. 

Storm definitely seemed unhappy about winning that way. 

What came of that? Did they ever get to have a legit rematch? I'd like to watch it.

The rematch was April 1st.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2017 at 1:38 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm watching a bunch of older Kana matches as part of a project for my site, and man she was always so good. The DVDs start in early 2008, soon after she recovered from her health issue. But she must have been training, not a ton of her matches from 2004 to 2006 made tape since AtoZ either didn't film or didn't release a lot of their events from that time period, but from what I have seen she was much better after her return. Her move set is much deeper (she does a cross-legged Cutie Special, more hip attack variations, a modified STF, etc.), since it was before she really had her set style she was just throwing out more of a variety.

I mean she already was one of my favorite wrestlers so I probably went in with a slight bias, but I expected a slower rise to her getting good, not to be immediately impressed.

When the joshifans forum was a thing 9 or 10 years back, KANA was always a favorite of mine. She was such a badass.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:17 AM, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Tokyo Sports is saying that Meiko Satomura is going to be in the Mae Young Classic. (I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere)

For her part, Meiko is denying this. At least, she is if I understood her Facebook post about the story correctly.

I got to meet Hana, Kagetsu, Hazuki, and Mayu last night at the ROH show. All were really friendly and seemed appreciative to have some fans around (it didn't hurt I had on a Kris Wolf shirt which got reactions from all of them). Aside from them all being nice the most notable thing to me was I had no idea that Hana Kimura speaks English so well. Not just on an entry level but she was able to have actual conversations which none of the others were. For example, she unprompted asked my brother to take a video of her (which he did) in perfect English. I'm not much of one for wrestler's personal lives but I'd have to assume that Hana has been hearing/learning English from a young age to be so efficient at just 20 years old.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I got to meet Hana, Kagetsu, Hazuki, and Mayu last night at the ROH show. All were really friendly and seemed appreciative to have some fans around (it didn't hurt I had on a Kris Wolf shirt which got reactions from all of them). Aside from them all being nice the most notable thing to me was I had no idea that Hana Kimura speaks English so well. Not just on an entry level but she was able to have actual conversations which none of the others were. For example, she unprompted asked my brother to take a video of her (which he did) in perfect English. I'm not much of one for wrestler's personal lives but I'd have to assume that Hana has been hearing/learning English from a young age to be so efficient at just 20 years old.

Her mom can speak some English. (At the least, she fakes it well)

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ayako Hamada was sentenced to 18 months in prison per Yahoo Japan

Reading a different report (via Strigga translating) - she was actually sentenced to three years but half of the sentence is on probation.

Hamada also announced her retirement

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reading a different report (via Strigga translating) - she was actually sentenced to three years but half of the sentence is on probation.

Sad to hear, one of the all time greats. She was awesome everywhere. Absolutely loved her Impact and Shimmer runs in 2010-2011. She was a showstealer on Impact in 2-3 minute matches against Sarita & Taylor Wilde and also killed it in longer matches against Roxxi & ODB. Excellent matches in Shimmer with Madison Eagles, Nicole Matthews, Kurihara, Del Rey, etc in addition to all her Japan/Mexico work.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Read about Ayako earlier. Only heard the 18 months sentence before now. That is about the same as what Arashi got back in 06. The retirement stuff feels slightly off. Makes me wonder if she just pissed off enough people in the joshi scene that she is unofficially blackballed.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Retirements rarely stick anyway. I like Ayako and hope she cleans herself up, but I have a feeling she'll be back when she finishes up her sentence.

On 9/30/2014 at 8:56 PM, mco543 said:

I love Kana to death, she's not only my favorite joshi wrestler but one of my favorite wrestlers period, but I think her going to WWE has less than a chance of ever happening. I think it would end up disastrously although I can't imagine going to WWE is a goal of hers for a wide variety of reasons.

On 9/30/2014 at 11:39 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Kana is one of my favorites too, I notice I tend to enjoy just about any match she is in.  She has a lot of that in-ring charisma that you can't teach.  But I wouldn't have any faith in WWE knowing what to do with her, not the way they handle the women's division.

Interesting takes

We are smart people. What's funny is that they did a great job with her in NXT so its not that they aren't capable overall, but on the main roster they struggle with putting wrestlers in the best position. Its not just with Kana, its a promotion-wide issue. I mean as long as she has having a good time and making some money, I'm cool with it, but the last few months have been rough as far as entertainment value.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, they are not fucking around with the Japanese talent this time. Good for them and good for Matsumoto! I hope she gets a win and a showcase in the second round at least before dipping out. Ideally, Io goes over her in the 2nd or 3rd round and they tear the place down.

Do we know when it starts streaming?