DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Nanae Takahashi dove off of a ladder at the WAVE show on Sunday straight on her head. She was stretchered off. Today's report is that she did not break any bones and has no nerve structure damage, but does have some paralysis/numbness and all future bookings are in question.

• Sad 1

I've been loving Kaho for the last couple of years. Started in 2013 for Tajiri. Small girl. Her matches are one of the highlights of any show she is on. She is moving up the cards and has held various junior and tag belts. I especially liked her tag team with Kagetsu, if you want to look for matches to watch. This is her second trip to Mexico.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

What can you fine folks tell me about Kaho Kobayashi, who is coming to CMLL? 

I'll add that I think Kaho stayed with Ricky Marvin's family the first time she went to Mexico. Totally agree that she's awesome and this match was one of my favorites of hers in 2017: her & AKINO vs Syuri and Hikaru Shida. It's also one of Syuri's last matches before going to the UFC. https://rutube.ru/video/823ccbd8bf60dc634fcf1e567d4d0425/?pl_type=user&pl_id=1067514

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

What can you fine folks tell me about Kaho Kobayashi, who is coming to CMLL? 

I love her as a feisty undersized wrestler, she is tiny but she is a lot of fun to watch. Most of her matches are midcard/tag matches but here is a longer match of hers against Shida from last spring: http://dai.ly/k4xxt869jAjgaHnsnIr

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

America isn't ready for Hana.

I'll give it two more years before WWE will start looming in terms of her future. Even if they revert back to the Divas era direction for the women, Hana would fit in. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Eivion said:

I see a Himeki Arita debuted for AJPW today against Natsumi Maki. Did AJPW train her or is she from somewhere else?

She is listed on the Actwres girl'Z website under their roster so I assume she at minimum trained there. Whether or not she is still represented by them or is a Freelancer I am not sure.

• Like 1

Himeka, by the way. It's because the idol group she belongs to has (or had) a tie-up thing going on with All Japan. I think they may have performed at some shows or something.

Edited to add: It looks like she'll be wrestling for Actwres from now as she was on their card last night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally finished the Seadlinnng 1/14 show, thought it was good. Nakajima and Ohata was the best match of the night. Hamada/Yoshiko was good but it didn't reach the next level of great I thought it would. It's something that you could apply to both with their recent matches even though Hamada/Taya was great

I think some of the old school posters have talked about her before, it flew under the radar a bit but Debbie Malenko had a match in November at Mariko Yoshida's retirement show. Aside from an exhibition match in 2001, this is the first official match I can find of her since her injury in 1993. She still looked really good, all things considered, I have no idea if she still trains just for fun but she still was crisp in everything she did. It caught me really off guard as I assumed she'd just stay on the apron and do a few moves here and there but she worked a good percentage of the match. A really pleasant surprise.

I did a quick compilation from of the match of her in action:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Kevin Wilson you're JoshiCity? Nice. The Stardom info is very helpful for a Stardom noob like me. :D

I used to watch Debbie's early-90's matches back when I was heavily into joshi, around 2009-10. She was always dependable for a good performance, and I liked her a lot. Nice to know she's around a bit. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

@Kevin Wilson you're JoshiCity? Nice. The Stardom info is very helpful for a Stardom noob like me. :D

I used to watch Debbie's early-90's matches back when I was heavily into joshi, around 2009-10. She was always dependable for a good performance, and I liked her a lot. Nice to know she's around a bit. 

Yep that's me. I figure if I am on the Internet anyway I may as well be useful.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

For 20 years now I've been saying I'm going to get into Joshi and I still haven't.

Start with AJW in the mid 80s or early 90s though if you are willing to pay money Stardom World is a good place to start with modern stuff.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

For 20 years now I've been saying I'm going to get into Joshi and I still haven't.

For classics, look for Akira Hokuto, Aja Kong, and Bull Nakano to start. They won't steer you wrong, and they'll introduce you to some other great workers. 

ClassicsPuro83's videos are all great quality on youtube.