DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

9 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

In today's Observer Dave says Mary has moved her family to Japan and will start with Stardom herself this week. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she will be involved with training Stardom's youngsters. IIRC her father was a trainer for Arsion wasn't he?

Mari is here for 3 months. She hasn't moved here.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 7/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, Norwegian Rudo said:

In today's Observer Dave says Mary has moved her family to Japan and will start with Stardom herself this week. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she will be involved with training Stardom's youngsters. IIRC her father was a trainer for Arsion wasn't he?

I think it was Gran Hamada that was an ARSION trainer (and with the original JWP before then, too, I think?). Apache went there a couple of times and once reffed a match in a sheer shirt, which was odd.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, Norwegian Rudo said:

I think it was Gran Hamada that was an ARSION trainer (and with the original JWP before then, too, I think?). Apache went there a couple of times and once reffed a match in a sheer shirt, which was odd.

15 hours ago, Sasha said:

Hamada was the original JWP trainer and a referee for them too. He and Gran Apache were over there but from the footage I've seen, they mostly focused on trained their daughters together. It's pretty cool seeing Ayako Hamada training with Gran Apache if you find it.

I agree with Kevin that hopefully for the next three months, Mary helps trains everybody cause she was looking like Stan Hansen at the last Korakuen show. Xia and Gabby was doing the Wayne's World "We're not worthy" bows to her after the match. 

Does anyone have any advice on quitting following Joshi cold turkey. I just  haven't been enjoying  any of the shows or matches . there's no story lines, barley any feuds, and the innovation that I use to associate with Joshi just isn't there anymore.  My problem is that t was such  big part of my wrestling fandom it's hard to stop and not check in on it.  But really I watch a show and feel as though I've wasted 1-2 hours on something pointless.    

14 minutes ago, Dshuks said:

Does anyone have any advice on quitting following Joshi cold turkey. I just  haven't been enjoying  any of the shows or matches . there's no story lines, barley any feuds, and the innovation that I use to associate with Joshi just isn't there anymore.  My problem is that t was such  big part of my wrestling fandom it's hard to stop and not check in on it.  But really I watch a show and feel as though I've wasted 1-2 hours on something pointless.    

... why are you asking fans of joshi how to stop watching joshi? If you don't want to watch, then don't, no one will stop you. Its not cocaine, you aren't addicted. Watch some TV. Adopt a kid. Run a marathon. Whatever floats your boat. People post the strangest things.

• Like 1

I just noticed Michiko Ohmukai worked a Stardom show. Was this just a one time thing or is she back?

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

I just noticed Michiko Ohmukai worked a Stardom show. Was this just a one time thing or is she back?

I read recently that her daughter(s) were big fans so she took them to a training session and Stardom invited her to work a show so they could see her.

I assume she wasn't as hurt as feared. It explains why the left a spot for the 5*GP open. They must have been waiting to see if she was healthy enough for it. She also invited Viper to QQ again which Viper accepted this time.

Full blurb from dave

In a big surprise, at the 7/30 Stardom show in Shinkiba, Io Shirai returned. Shirai who many considered the top woman wrestler in Japan, had done her farewell there and was to start here. There was an issue with a neck injury when WWE did their testing of her several months back, which led to her announce she was taking time off for the neck injury and that was the reason she gave for leaving Stardom. WWE hadn’t finalized the deal, and wrestlers are not allowed to say they publicly they are going to WWE until the company announces it first (hence Adam Cole disappearing off the face of the Earth and I have no evidence he’s working these days as an astronaut nor that he was actually poisoned to death as the Young Bucks have implied on “Being the Elite”) so she couldn’t say at the time she was leaving for the U.S. even though most knew it. After a three-way main event, Shirai hit the ring and attacked Oedo Tai and asked Viper (who was in the Mae Young Classic) to join her as a tag team in the Queen’s Quest group. Viper agreed. Shirai announced her return on 8/13 at Korakuen Hall, and that she would also be in the upcoming Five Star Grand Prix tournament (which is their version of G-1, and Jim Cornette should be proud of that name). She also issued a challenge to Team Jungle for the Artist of Stardom championship. This is because she’s not coming to WWE after all. She contacted Rossy Ogawa and Stardom on 7/28 and said that she was ready to return full-time. Nobody has publicly said WWE changed their minds at bringing her in, but obviously that is what happened. The phraseology being used for Japan is that she got some bad news and told Ogawa she was ready to come back. Nobody has directly said that WWE decided against offering her a contract due to her neck issues that they found in her physicals, but they had stalled on offering her a contract months ago when they found out about the injury while she did her medicals in the U.S. After she did her medicals, WWE wanted her to take time off to rehab her neck. She did that and was just cleared by doctors to return to the ring after her therapy. Then WWE seemingly decided against offering her the deal. While every case is different, WWE has had a general rule of not wanting to bring in new talent that either has concussion issues or neck issues. It also could be that with Kairi Hojo and Asuka they already have two Japanese women and had discovered more women from other nationalities that they wanted to sign from the Mae Young Classic. Even though most would say Shirai was better than Hojo or Asuka, timing is everything in this business

Dave has been all over the place with his Io scoops, likely because his source is someone in WWE so he only knows their side of the discussions. She never did her farewell in Stardom, and Kairi Hojo has had issues with concussions and still was brought in. I generally trust Dave more than most but there is just a fair amount of that that either seems to be assumptions on his part or is factually incorrect. The issue is that he admits that if you read carefully "obviously that is what happened" "seemingly" but people will still report every word as fact and not Dave theorizing based on rumors he heard.

• Like 1

I think it makes the most sense to let Kairi get established for a while in NXT, and then bring Io in if her medical issues are cleared up. I don't care how impressive any of the women in the MYC were I seriously doubt any of them could make WWE say "yeah that Io Shirai is ok, but so and so is really great".

I realize I am slightly more insane than most but I figured someone may want to know - Marvelous, which doesn't make TV very often and doesn't sell most of their events on DVD, have a streaming service. It is 600 yen a month, the quality is so so and its just from a hard cam, but since its the only way I know of to watch their events it is better than nothing: https://freshlive.tv/marvelous

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I realize I am slightly more insane than most but I figured someone may want to know - Marvelous, which doesn't make TV very often and doesn't sell most of their events on DVD, have a streaming service. It is 600 yen a month, the quality is so so and its just from a hard cam, but since its the only way I know of to watch their events it is better than nothing: https://freshlive.tv/marvelous

How did you make payment? Are credit cards from gaikoku land OK?

I didn't look back to see if it is their biggest event ever in regards to attendance, but Pro Wrestling WAVE popped a massive attendance on the 12th with 2,187 announced for their big anniversary show. WAVE typically draws the worst of all joshi promotions that run regularly so its nice to see people show up for their big event. Here was the card, I didn't spoil it as hopefully its added to the WAVE  Network.

• Exhibition Match - Chigusa Nagayo vs. GAMI
  • WAVE Tag Team Championship: Cherry & Kaori Yoneyama vs. Hiroe Nagahama & Kaho Kobayashi
  • Dick Togo & Keisuke Goto vs. Kendo Kashin & TAKA Michinoku
  • Fairy Nihonbashi, Hibiscus Mii, Kyusei Ninja Ranmaru, & Sakura Hirota vs. Hana Kimura, Hikaru Shida, Mio Momono, & Rin Kadokura
  • Aoi Kizuki & Nagisa Nozaki vs. Mika Iida & Yuki Miyazaki
  • Y Dress Battle Royal with Akane Fujita, Heidi Katrina, KAORU, Natsu Sumire, Manami Toyota, Maya Yukihi, Mima Shimoda, Miyuki Takase, Moeka Haruhi, Natsumi Maki, SAKI, and Yako Fujigasaki
  • Exhibition Match - Chigusa Nagayo & GAMI vs. Dump Matsumoto & Zap T
  • Ayako Hamada, Meiko Satomura, & Nanae Takahashi vs. Chihiro Hashimoto, Satsuki Totoro, & Takumi Iroha
  • Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. Misaki Ohata & Ryo Mizunami
  • Exhibition Match - Chigusa Nagayo vs. GAMI
  • Regina Di WAVE Championship: Rina Yamashita vs. Yoshiko 
  • ASUKA vs. Yumi Ohka

• 3 weeks later...

There were a ton of big Joshi events from mid to late August, and some of them have now made TV. Here are some of my favorite matches from the set:

I think that Hiroyo Matsumoto is having the best year of any Joshi wrestler, most would lean towards Io Shirai due to visibility (and the fact she is great) but Hiroyo has done so much this year against a wider variety of opponents. And people into attendances, four promotions had events with 1K+ announced attendances in August, which is always a good thing: WAVE, OZ Academy, PURE-J, and Ice Ribbon. Its nice to see multiple promotions at least drawing for their big events.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sareee announced she is leading SEAdLINNNG next month. Never really understood why she joined the "promotion" in the first place as it seems like somewhere you would just Freelance anyway. Speculation of course is that she is going to WWE since Regal was at a SEAdLINNNG event last spring. Which is definitely possible, she is a quality young wrestler that should be the type that WWE is interested in. Guess we'll find out next month.

According to the We Are Stardom guy on reddit Sareee didn't have a choice in the matter. Diana and SEAdLINNNG are owned by the same company and she was transferred there. I'm guessing her contract is up and she is taking the chance to bolt in general.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:36 PM, Eivion said:

According to the We Are Stardom guy on reddit Sareee didn't have a choice in the matter. Diana and SEAdLINNNG are owned by the same company and she was transferred there. I'm guessing her contract is up and she is taking the chance to bolt in general.

Yesterday, Sonny (Stardom Admin) on Reddit alluded to why Sareee is leaving as it pertains to Nanae & Yoshiko's treatment of younger wrestlers in a comment. 

Sareee is going back to Diana somewhat hurts her visibility but she can be the lead there. 

Also, Toni Storm winning the 5 Star GP today is something as she's been splitting time with WWE, PROGRESS and Stardom. I don't see Rossy putting the red belt on her but stranger things have happened.