DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

On 6/23/2017 at 8:25 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I never thought she'd be in the tournament, but I still don't know what level of 'work' this is. Is it legitimately bad enough she needs a break, or does she want to heal up before going to WWE? WWE doesn't really mess around with head and neck injuries, so if its serious it may jeopardize her going to WWE. This is a bit of a 'lull' for Stardom in their schedule leading up to the GP, in fact Io did the exact same thing last year, taking July off due to injury. My guess would be she could wrestle if needed, but wants to let some lingering issue clear up.

Haven't listened to it yet myself, but apparently Meltzer said on last night's podcast that the problem was discovered during her WWE physical, and that she was still expected to be signed later.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently watching some older REINA shows and I'd love to know what happened backstage there. I know they started phasing out the Luchadoras, and that makes sense to save money. But their Ace left last year and never wrestled there again except I think once (Syuri), then they lost their best young wrestler who also never wrestled there again (Konami). They used to use bigger Freelancers sometimes but now its mostly lower level indie wrestlers. It may be strictly a money issue as the wrestlers they use now are definitely cheaper than who they used two years ago, but they quickly dropped to the bottom of most visible promotions. I used to buy DVDs from their website but they haven't added any since January, not sure if they are even taping their events anymore.

Oh for those not active on The Twitter, Nico Pro now is available on Youtube for $5 a month. Looks like they will have everything their online channel in Japan has, including live streams. They air lower-end shows from Stardom, SEAdLINNNG, and OZ Academy plus events from Tokyo Joshi Pro, Ice Ribbon, Pure Dream, and Sendai Girls'. Easily worth the $5 to me, and the quality is a lot better than what people could snatch from the Japanese channel.

• Like 1

Stardom's Korakuen Hall event this weekend will be an interesting gauge to see what we may expect in the short term post Kairi/Io era. Mayu/Yoko should be a good main event but there wasn't a lot of build for it, so it doesn't really have that emotion/storyline that generally helps. Kyona/HZK vs. Oedo Tai is too weird for me to get behind but should be a fun match, everything else is pretty average. It may show the baseline of how many hardcore fans Stardom has, as it has been mentioned before, promotions in Japan tend to have their own fanbase that only goes to that promotions events so if they get 750 for example, that is probably going to be the low end of what they'll always get there unless something else drastic changes.

I wish them the best of course and they still have many wrestlers I like, it will just be a rough next six months or so (similar to what happened in mid-2005) while they build up Konami/Kagetsu/Kyona/HZK a bit so it isn't just Mayu and Yoko as A Level wrestlers. And Toni when she is around. I'll probably end up dropping Stardom World for a few months though since I can watch most of their events on Nico Pro or Samurai TV, I am spending too much on wrestling subscriptions :(

22 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Stardom's Korakuen Hall event this weekend will be an interesting gauge to see what we may expect in the short term post Kairi/Io era. Mayu/Yoko should be a good main event but there wasn't a lot of build for it, so it doesn't really have that emotion/storyline that generally helps. Kyona/HZK vs. Oedo Tai is too weird for me to get behind but should be a fun match, everything else is pretty average. It may show the baseline of how many hardcore fans Stardom has, as it has been mentioned before, promotions in Japan tend to have their own fanbase that only goes to that promotions events so if they get 750 for example, that is probably going to be the low end of what they'll always get there unless something else drastic changes.

I wish them the best of course and they still have many wrestlers I like, it will just be a rough next six months or so (similar to what happened in mid-2005) while they build up Konami/Kagetsu/Kyona/HZK a bit so it isn't just Mayu and Yoko as A Level wrestlers. And Toni when she is around. I'll probably end up dropping Stardom World for a few months though since I can watch most of their events on Nico Pro or Samurai TV, I am spending too much on wrestling subscriptions :(

Are you using a VPN to access the Samurai TV shows?

Sounds like just one, although obviously a win would be impressive and help her get her foot in the door. Pretty sure she has said in the past that fighting in the UFC is her goal, awesome that she will get a chance to. She is going against 19 year old Chan-Mi Jeon, who is supposed to have a lot of potential but has no notable wins yet early in her career.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

That explains why she came to Japan. Nice that she trust Stardom enough to train her.

i hope she gets some lucha training too, could be another Hamada type hybrid wrestler. Although Hamada has/had elite level athleticism + Mariko Yoshida and Aja Kong as her Japanese trainers .

Sorry for being gossipy, but did we ever find out who Natsumi "Apache"'s father was? I just remember Mary Apache out of nowhere had to cancel her dates with ARSION and it was announced she was pregnant. Was it someone in the business or outsider? Regardless, it's cool that she's coming in following in the family footsteps. Hope she'll be taken well care of by Ogawa and the rest of the people at Stardom.

2 hours ago, PUNQ said:

Sorry for being gossipy, but did we ever find out who Natsumi "Apache"'s father was? I just remember Mary Apache out of nowhere had to cancel her dates with ARSION and it was announced she was pregnant. Was it someone in the business or outsider? Regardless, it's cool that she's coming in following in the family footsteps. Hope she'll be taken well care of by Ogawa and the rest of the people at Stardom.

From this interview, she married a Japanese wrestler and had the two children but she divorced him and he doesn't wrestle anymore. I didn't realize she was in Japan for 6 years. http://micromanfever.tumblr.com/post/157033203214/los-reyes-del-biutiful-muelasdegallo

Ice Ribbon has had the press conference full of apologies, but did not name Tsukushi because she is a minor, her parents need to be consulted with and such. I came here to find out more. I had not heard Meltzer's story. Shit. Two of the best right now.

On 7/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, Eivion said:

That explains why she came to Japan. Nice that she trust Stardom enough to train her.

In today's Observer Dave says Mary has moved her family to Japan and will start with Stardom herself this week. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she will be involved with training Stardom's youngsters. IIRC her father was a trainer for Arsion wasn't he?

She already has done a few shows and was set up for a High Speed Title match with Shanna. I figured she would be staying with Stardom to keep up with her daughter's progress. I only hope it means she helps with others training as well.

A solid veteran hand around both in the ring and in the training room never hurt anyone. Maybe she can help train them on being more snug, most the trainees these days wrestle pretty soft. Except Kyona, Hiroyo rubbed off on her a bit.