DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

16 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Kairi's situation is different than the wrestlers in the CWC, since she has already signed a three year contract. Even if its not officially an NXT tournament, I'm not sure if they have announced that, either way we know she is going to NXT afterwards. But I have no doubt she isn't going to the main roster, the main roster has a healthy women's roster at the moment and I don't think she'd do as well if she randomly debuted on RAW without some buildup. Even Shinsuke took a stint in NXT, I think part of the reason is in training they also give lessons on English which is something important to WWE for the main roster.

80% sure that if Io was leaving in time for the tournament in July we'd know about it by now, (or really soon) it takes time to get visas and what not and Meltzer probably would have known about it since Stardom defections is the only Joshi related information he really ever reports on. As I've mentioned, Kairi needs to hope that Io isn't coming at the same time as if one of them got lost in the shuffle I think it would be Kairi. Expecting WWE to push three Japanese wrestlers in the same division at the same time would be asking a lot, unless they pushed Asuka up to the main roster first.

They never announced it as an NXT tournament, just a Women's tournament. Shinsuke was more about timing and getting him used to the style. He already speaks solid English. The main rosters are not healthy. SDL uses what they have well, but both divisions are on the small side with only so much depth. That said, I still agree that Kairi wouldn't be heading there since they would have no real reason to fast track her before other signings who have English as a first language or the current women in NXT. I would be somewhat surprised if Asuka is still around by the fall. She will either be on the main roster or on her way there.

Considering WWE doesn't let the women have more than one program at once, maybe two on a good day, Dana/Fox/Mickie/Nia/Sasha/Bayley/Bliss on RAW is plenty while Charlotte/Carmella/Lana/Naomi/Natalya/Tamina/Becky on SD is probably excessive. Not counting wrestlers like Summer Rae that are rarely seen or Emma as she seems to have gotten hurt again. Fans of women's wrestling may not find it to be enough or may think the talent isn't good enough, but for WWE's structure it is a satisfactory number and doesn't require rushing someone up that they aren't sure is ready.

Big Dave is reporting Io has signed with WWE, but with 'more details' behind a future paywall. There was a several month gap between when he announced Kairi signed and when we assume she will start in WWE (likely June), so I still don't expect Io to be in the tournament since that is in less than two months. But it depends on if Io signed awhile ago and Dave just found out now, or if she literally signed this week and now they have to start the visa process.

That isn't surprising seeing as how she showed up at that training camp. The setup from the last Stardom show made it even more obvious. I think she makes it in time for the tournament though she might still be finishing up some Stardom dates at that point.

Yea not surprising, I assumed it would be this year sometime, it was more a matter of when. I admit that I don't know how visas work but they seem to take a good bit of time. From when Kana announced she was taking a "hiatus" to when she joined WWE was about three months, Kairi will be a bit longer than that, and Kris is currently renewing hers while she wrestles in the UK for a month. But Nakamura seemed to go faster.

I think, I'm not sure though, that most foreign wrestlers signing with the WWE are applying for an O visa, which covers athletes and entertainers.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

Did Kana go over with anyone? As in an agent or staff or something? If they needed a visa that's another thing that needs to be handled.

43 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea not surprising, I assumed it would be this year sometime, it was more a matter of when. I admit that I don't know how visas work but they seem to take a good bit of time. From when Kana announced she was taking a "hiatus" to when she joined WWE was about three months, Kairi will be a bit longer than that, and Kris is currently renewing hers while she wrestles in the UK for a month. But Nakamura seemed to go faster.

It was two months, and she timed her last match/show in Japan the same month she was debuting in NXT.

So If this is true ( which seems likely) if your Stardom how long do you run with Mayu as double champ (assming she beats Io which also seems likely if Io is in the tourney) ?

One one hand the white belt has just had two relatively long runs , and the red belt obviously is currently in the middle of a year + Io reign so shorter reigns for Mayu would make sense . On the other hand if Stardom intends to push Mayu as the top star of the promotion they can't really have her lose either belt too quickly , or to, too low a rank wrestler.  

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It was two months, and she timed her last match/show in Japan the same month she was debuting in NXT.

Yea, so that would be cutting it really close if she applied recently, I imagine they want the tournament wrestlers locked in without a risk of visa issues. Not that its impossible of course, I'd put it at 50/50 which is all anyone can guess right now. Honestly, Io doesn't need the tournament. If she has signed a contract, let the tournament make a star, Io already is one and will be the first time she has a match in NXT. It wouldn't hurt her of course, but I think she'll be at the top of the division shortly one way or the other and another wrestler could probably use the rub more.

In a recent periscope, Kris Wolf mentioned Asuka stopping by the Stardom Dojo, which implies terms aren't as bad as some (including myself) assumed. We'll know real soon if there is any heat between Io and Asuka as there would be no way to keep them apart if both are in NXT for at least the rest of the year.

8 minutes ago, Dshuks said:

So If this is true ( which seems likely) if your Stardom how long do you run with Mayu as double champ (assming she beats Io which also seems likely if Io is in the tourney) ?

One one hand the white belt has just had two relatively long runs , and the red belt obviously is currently in the middle of a year + Io reign so shorter reigns for Mayu would make sense . On the other hand if Stardom intends to push Mayu as the top star of the promotion they can't really have her lose either belt too quickly , or to, too low a rank wrestler.  

They're about 6 months late on that push Mayu as a top star and not distant 2nd thing and no they don't need more double champion messes existing, but sure.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

In a recent periscope, Kris Wolf mentioned Asuka stopping by the Stardom Dojo, which implies terms aren't as bad as some (including myself) assumed. We'll know real soon if there is any heat between Io and Asuka as there would be no way to keep them apart if both are in NXT for at least the rest of the year.

The heat was between Asuka & Nanae. Asuka & Io are supposedly still good.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Big Dave is reporting Io has signed with WWE, but with 'more details' behind a future paywall. There was a several month gap between when he announced Kairi signed and when we assume she will start in WWE (likely June), so I still don't expect Io to be in the tournament since that is in less than two months. But it depends on if Io signed awhile ago and Dave just found out now, or if she literally signed this week and now they have to start the visa process.

If they really want to they could probably get her a short term visa, like they got for all the Progress people, that would allow her to do the tournament tapings while waiting for the proper visa.

There is still a process, sure WWE may be able to get it faster than Mom's Cookie Shop but its not instant. Don't forget that Wade Barrett and Drew McIntyre both (briefly) missed time in WWE due to visa issues, some things even WWE aren't above.

Course we are all debating a hypothetical that no one actually knows the answer to and will probably be officially announced within a month, but that's what message boards are for ;) 

This is the full Meltzer post

Io Shirai, one of the biggest women's wrestling stars in Japan, has accepted WWE's offer to join the company, our Dave Meltzer reports.

Shirai, 27, is considered one of the top wrestlers in the Stardom promotion. She had previously attended a Performance Center tryout back in March, though WWE quickly wiped out all mentions of her in an accompanying article.

This would be a big blow to Stardom, with both of their top acts in Shirai and Kairi Hojo departing the company. Both had previously considered staying in Japan after receiving interest from WWE late last year, but it seems that both have now changed their minds.

Hojo announced her departure from Stardom earlier this month, and is expected to start at the WWE Performance Center shortly. As of right now, there is no start date for Shirai to come in.

More information concerning Shirai’s status will be in this week's edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

On the radio show last night - he said the plan is that both Io and Kairi will be in NXT

Assuming I can get tickets, which I know is no easy feat for events like this, I'd probably make the trip down to FL for the Women's Tournament if both of them are in it, along with other wrestlers I like such as Newell and Evie. Ideally, I'd rather spend money to see Asuka vs. Io (and I probably still would if it happened), but I'd cross that bridge when I got there.

From what I've seen(which admittedly isn't much) I think Hojo would be the perfect opponent for Asuka's current character. She's just a naturally great underdog face. I get why Io vs Asuka is the dream match, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hojo vs Asuka ends up the better matchup.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Assuming I can get tickets, which I know is no easy feat for events like this, I'd probably make the trip down to FL for the Women's Tournament if both of them are in it, along with other wrestlers I like such as Newell and Evie. Ideally, I'd rather spend money to see Asuka vs. Io (and I probably still would if it happened), but I'd cross that bridge when I got there.

I'm in Orlando in late July, is that when they're planning the tourney?  How many tapings were there for the CWC?

Who wants to set the over/under on when Rossy panics and books a Seaaaadddddllllinnnng invasion?

6 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I'm in Orlando in late July, is that when they're planning the tourney?  How many tapings were there for the CWC?

Who wants to set the over/under on when Rossy panics and books a Seaaaadddddllllinnnng invasion?

I'd love a SEAdLINNNG invasion, immediate storylines and it would be a hot crowd. But... I don't see that happening, Rossy doesn't seem to be the type that rebuilds burned bridges. No reason to get desperate yet anyway and they have other options to fill up the cards.

I've seen it reported that the first two tapings of the tournament are July 13th and July 14th, with the final being live on August 29th. So I assume there would be other dates between them, just not announced yet. 

I am finally starting my dive in GAEA, wrote a brief (as brief as I get) history for the promotion the best I could. I won't start a new thread or anything for it but I plan on posting my favorite match from each show on my DM account, so I'll link that over in the Matches folders as I go. Even finding a high quality picture logo of the promotion is hard, its crazy.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I think that's the case with a lot of groups that died out in 2005 or earlier. I'd love to see more about the original JWP, or the revived JWP from 1992 to 1999, but information is incredibly scarce about the former and hard to find about the latter. Even relatively recent promotions like Arsion or Jd' are difficult to find information on, unless you know old URLs and that the Wayback Machine has something captured.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am finally starting my dive in GAEA, wrote a brief (as brief as I get) history for the promotion the best I could. I won't start a new thread or anything for it but I plan on posting my favorite match from each show on my DM account, so I'll link that over in the Matches folders as I go. Even finding a high quality picture logo of the promotion is hard, its crazy.

The GAEA website is still up if you haven't checked it out yet.  http://gaea-inc.com/gaeajapan/index.html

46 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

The GAEA website is still up if you haven't checked it out yet.  http://gaea-inc.com/gaeajapan/index.html

Yea, that is where I stole those itty pictures from. But it doesn't have as much actual information as I would have hoped, considering someone is still paying for the domain/content to stay up 12 years later.