DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I'm really surprised that Chihiro already won the belt back from Aja Kong, since she just lost it to her less than three months before. I figured that was the eventual story but it happened a lot faster than I was expecting, I thought at the earliest it would be at their big November event later this year. Not sure where they go from here with her, I guess she will beat Hiroyo but its been so long since someone as new as her had so much success against seasoned vets its hard to predict what direction she will go in.

Wow, I need to pay more attention to results. I had no idea she won it back. That just makes the original loss seem pointless. Also didn't realize Hiroyo pinned Meiko. When would her challenge to Hashimoto be happening? I have trouble seeing Oz Academy be ok with their current champ losing.

6 hours ago, JML said:

I don't see Hiroyo losing here either especially if she's still the Oz Academy Champ. I expect it to go to the 30 minute time limit. 

Yea I think that would be the most likely result. I would like to think something changed "behind the scenes" in the last few months as it almost feels like Sendai Girls' is resetting what they did in January. Satomura has been losing a lot lately (since October she has lost singles matches to Hashimoto, Kong, Syuri, and Matsumoto), if she wasn't the owner of Sendai Girls' I'd be looking further into that but it still is unusual. 

51 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I think that would be the most likely result. I would like to think something changed "behind the scenes" in the last few months as it almost feels like Sendai Girls' is resetting what they did in January. Satomura has been losing a lot lately (since October she has lost singles matches to Hashimoto, Kong, Syuri, and Matsumoto), if she wasn't the owner of Sendai Girls' I'd be looking further into that but it still is unusual. 

I agree and even though the ominous "Tournament" looms over the landscape with Joshi, I think Meiko is doing the right thing here with pushing Chihiro as the present and the future while easing down the card to let her shine. 

I do remember the criticisms of Meiko as a booker when she started Sendai Girls in terms of making new stars. Those criticisms can be validated as former wrestlers have left to become names elsewhere but this time around Meiko has done it right. Even though it's small, they have a roster of really good wrestlers with different looks and personalities. I haven't seen the 12 year old that debuted cause I haven't seen the new Korakuen show (and I can't believe I'm saying that cause I don't like watching or reviewing kids wrestle) but that might be a fad cause of the teamDATE stable with the 12 year old that won a MMA fight. 

Other than that, having Chihiro, Dash and Cassandra on your shows is pretty good by themselves let alone adding Meiko. 

Its tougher to pick this year since we don't know the status of some of their bigger stars (or if it matters since the title challenge doesn't have to wait very long). The Over The Top rules gives them an "out" to have someone like Io lose when normally she is unbeatable, making it even harder to guess. I'll think about it harder this weekend and do a more full analysis, but my early prediction is Toni Storm. She has probably one of the best win percentages in Stardom and they may be looking to help make new bigger stars if others are leaving. Course that is assuming Toni is sticking around short term, haven't heard any rumblings about her joining NXT but I'm not too privy to insider information.

It is not unfathomable that someone like Io could win, thus far Stardom hasn't used this tournament to put over younger talent but rather as just a storyline mechanism. That would be silly of course but they do silly things sometimes. I'd pick Yoko Bito in a heartbeat if she wasn't injured and not in the tournament, she's the perfect type they'd have win.

Buying directly from Sendai Girls' is way too expensive but I had to.

f9IwU6I.jpg

I don't think Sendai Sachiko's full retirement show ever aired so I had to get that, and the "Best Of" DVDs both have matches that never made air, like Io and Meiko's first singles match.

I was watching a Sendai Girls show from 2014 and Chigusa Nagayo was in the corner for Kagetsu, even though she was at that time still a Sendai Girls' wrestler. While looking through this thread, back then someone mentioned after Chigusa Nagayo started her new promotion, that Iroha and Kagetsu would likely be two of her wrestlers since they were known to be connected (they had teamed together on a spot Marvelous show in early 2014).

This was all before I was fully engrossed in Joshi, so I really don't know the backstory of what happened with Kagetsu. She left Sendai Girls' in December 2014 to become a Freelancer, but while Iroha did in fact join Chigusa Nagayo in Marvelous as someone here predicted, Kagetsu did not. In fact, Kagetsu hasn't had a single match in Sendai Girls' nor Marvelous since then. Does anyone know why Kagetsu left Sendai Girls'? Or why she never wrestled for Chigusa Nagayo, or was that all storyline that never came to a conclusion? if @1JoshIis still around, hopefully he or someone else can fill in the gaps.

1 hour ago, zev said:

When did this Kagetsu match take place, if not mid 2016?

From her outfit you can tell that isn't post 2015 as she changed her attire when she left Sendai Girls'. But without more of the match being shown and no match time at the end, can't say for sure which one it was.

EDIT: I assume it would be the 2012 or 2013 match since both went a decent length and the match above seems to have been a normal length match:

RXoHGdp.jpg

Pretty sure it was the 10/18/2014 show.  Pretty sure I saw Michiko Miyagi working as a ring girl in the video clip--this was just before her debut and way before the Cassandra gimmick, so no crazy hair & makeup yet.

I actually never heard (or don't remember) the Kagetsu going to Marvelous rumor, although I think at some point there was a Sendai Girls storyline going where Kagetsu went off and trained with Chigusa to learn how to beat Meiko (which never happened).

Not sure if there's hard feelings between Kagetsu and Meiko and/or Chigusa.  It is true that Kagetsu has never been booked to work Senjo or Marvelous since she went freelance, while Ryo Mizunami's worked some Sendai Girls shows recently despite going to WAVE.  I think Miz even brought Hiroe Nagahama with her to train in the Sendai dojo for a week or so a while back.  

Remember, Mizunami actually debuted in GAEA, using her real name Ayane Mizumura, about 6 months before GAEA closed shop.  She never got past bland rookie in blue swimsuit stage, then was temporarily inactive and studying to be an athletic trainer before resuming her career in Sendai then eventually WAVE.  My understanding is by the time Miz came along in GAEA (there was another rookie that debuted a bit before her whose name I don't recall) that Meiko & Toshie Uematsu were doing all the training, and Uematsu eventually ended up in WAVE, so I think Miz regarded both as mentors.

• Like 4

No group of people does more research to find unimportant things than wrestling fans ;)  I still go through the early part of this thread and Frank Pozen's website when I want to find old details from the "dark days" of Joshi. Finding information from 2006 to 2013 or so can be quite hard, since cagematch is really incomplete those years for Joshi and there wasn't really a website that is still active that chronicled what was going on. Add in that less shows "made TV" during that stretch and piecing things together can be difficult 5 to 10 years after the fact.

• Like 1