DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was really hoping that wouldn't happen until the end of year. I expected it to, just not while she was champ.

In this respect it seems like Mayu deciding on retiring/leaving for Seadlinning really screwed Rossy over.  

Jeez and with Bito and Momo hurt the cards will be really light especially if Io and Kairi leave in April. 

I wonder if they'll put the belt on Mayu for a short transitional reign until Yoko gets back? 

Kyona isn't ready really.  I guess Storm would be the only other option. 

It means someone made a phone call :) Either she is assumed already signed and they want to keep it under wraps, or Stardom contacted them about promoting a wrestler that is still under contract with them (no idea how Stardom contracts work/are worded).

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It means someone made a phone call :) Either she is assumed already signed and they want to keep it under wraps, or Stardom contacted them about promoting a wrestler that is still under contract with them (no idea how Stardom contracts work/are worded).

I've been wondering about Stardom contracts myself. It seems likely, with Hojo and Shirai seemingly able to leave for WWE anytime they want, that they only cover other Japanese promotions.

36 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

They saw her naked pictures and sent her back to Japan.  "WE'RE TV-PG!"

The fact is Stardom could have controlled this whole thing but have screwed it up.  Apparently.

I mean there's not really anything a relatively small promotion like Stardom can do to compete with the prospects of of wrestling stardom, and potentially  high salary  that WWE offers . All Stardom could really offer Io and Kairi was guaranteed top of the card booking,  and the familiarity and safety of their home country.

Stardom really can't afford to get in a bidding war for both of them. Theres not really much they could/can do. 

Just depends on their contracts. If Io is under contract and the contract says she can't take part in other wrestling promotions without permission, then they could have made the call to get the details taken down. Small or not, contracts are contracts, wrestlers in TNA and ROH under contract can't join WWE either until their contracts are up. Stardom wouldn't be able to compete if Io was free to go elsewhere of course, no promotion can compete with WWE money-wise, but it just depends on what she has currently signed.

Now I don't know how long Stardom contracts are, if they have clauses that prevent wrestlers from leaving, etc. but since all details of Io were very quickly pulled clearly something happened.

That was always the odd thing to me when it was mentioned that both were coming last year. No one ever seemed to really know the length of their Stardom contracts or if they signed new ones when they supposedly decided to stay.

Here is the brief blurb from today's WON

Io Shirai (Masami Odate, 26), who is one of the two or three best woman wrestlers in the world right now, is in Orlando at this writing as part of a WWE tryout. In her case, this isn’t so much a tryout as her being there to do drills as WWE has been after her for months. But unlike the others at the tryout, the ball is in her court on whether to accept the offer or not. Unlike Kairi Hojo, who as noted last week has already signed her three-year contract, Shirai was invited to Orlando to check things out and then decide what she wanted to do. With Hojo leaving, if Shirai follows, and Mayu Iwatani retires, it would be a killer to Stardom, which had been the leading women’s pro wrestling organization in the world.

13 hours ago, Dshuks said:

I mean there's not really anything a relatively small promotion like Stardom can do to compete with the prospects of of wrestling stardom, and potentially  high salary  that WWE offers . All Stardom could really offer Io and Kairi was guaranteed top of the card booking,  and the familiarity and safety of their home country.

Stardom really can't afford to get in a bidding war for both of them. Theres not really much they could/can do. 

I'll give you an analogy.  Stardom are the major record companies in 2000.  Not because they are wealthy but because they could see the future and fought it.

3 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I'll give you an analogy.  Stardom are the major record companies in 2000.  Not because they are wealthy but because they could see the future and fought it.

I don't think Stardom is in that position. I would put it more as a smaller independent label that had their top acts about sign to major label deals or signed with a current streaming service like an Apple Music, Spotify, or a Tidal. They knew sooner or later that Io and Kairi's talent were too big to be unnoticed. Plus it's not a coincidence that the foreign women that have come into Stardom lately have had WWE Tryouts or worked NXT as enhancement. It has to be a make good on taking Kairi and Io on WWE's behalf. Look at Juice Robinson coming into New Japan. I haven't listened to his interview with Colt Cabana yet but someone in the Performance Center had to hook him up with New Japan management after he left cause the raid was coming. This is the just cycle. 

48 minutes ago, JML said:

I don't think Stardom is in that position. I would put it more as a smaller independent label that had their top acts about sign to major label deals or signed with a current streaming service like an Apple Music, Spotify, or a Tidal. They knew sooner or later that Io and Kairi's talent were too big to be unnoticed. Plus it's not a coincidence that the foreign women that have come into Stardom lately have had WWE Tryouts or worked NXT as enhancement. It has to be a make good on taking Kairi and Io on WWE's behalf. Look at Juice Robinson coming into New Japan. I haven't listened to his interview with Colt Cabana yet but someone in the Performance Center had to hook him up with New Japan management after he left cause the raid was coming. This is the just cycle. 

I figured my analogy would be confusing but I'm trying not to be specific.  Stardom was Warner Brothers Records looking at Napster in 2000.  "In early 2001, there was a major restructure of the Warner Music Group; about 600 positions were eliminated across the three labels"  And pretty soon Stardom might have fewer wrestlers than they have belts.

• Like 1

Silver lining is Jungle Kyona gets more singles matches and a more prominent role. She's not ready to carry the company or anything but if she keeps improving at the rapid pace she's been doing over the past year, she could be ready by 2018.

So'z, the discussion about Asuka in the NXT monthly thread got me thinking... I missed out on a lot of joshi for about a decade from 2005 to 2015 when I wasn't watching much wrestling (up to about 2011/12) and then didn't realize how revitalized the joshi scene was until around 2015. What were some of Kana's best matches in Japan? Does the Wave Network have a lot of archived older shows or is it just newer shows since the service was created?

WAVE doesn't have a lot of older shows but they let you see what they have without buying it, you can see the full list here: http://pro-w-wave.com/wave_network

Kana is an interesting case as while I love her, since she was a Freelancer for so long she didn't have a lot of high end feuds. She stayed active, but it was mostly doing tag matches or midcard matches, not in 20+ min long big singles matches that made TV. The matches mentioned above are worth tracking down, her only long feud in Japan besides vs. Arisa Nakajima was vs. Syuri, you really can't go too wrong with any Kana vs. Syuri match from SMASH or REINA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I figured my analogy would be confusing but I'm trying not to be specific.  Stardom was Warner Brothers Records looking at Napster in 2000.  "In early 2001, there was a major restructure of the Warner Music Group; about 600 positions were eliminated across the three labels"  And pretty soon Stardom might have fewer wrestlers than they have belts.

I got the analogy immediately when you said it but I didn't think it fit in this situation. Warner Music Group is still around and Napster got bought out in the end. If Stardom has more belts than wrestlers, there is a good chance there won't be a Stardom existing much longer if it hit that point.  

30 years as an active wrestler, and she ain't gettign any younger. Toyota has kept the faith longer than most. There was a tiem I adored her, then I became critical of her and finally found the balance of just enjoying watching her do her thing and try to enjoy it until the ride came to an end. Now the ride is finally ending aand I find myself looking back more fondly on her.

James