DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I wouldn't be shocked if Kris' reign is very short. She may get a win over say Hiromi but if she defends against HZK I think HZK will win since QQ really needs a second active belt if they are going to be taken seriously and Azumi isn't going to win anything. I haven't seen an update on Momo so I don't know if she had a full blown tear (so she'll be out 9 to 12 months) or if it was just a sprain, hopefully it isn't too serious as I think she was an important part of their plans moving forward.

31 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Don't agree what so ever, she's not only the best female worker in the business IMO but one of the best workers period. For some bizarre reason a few people seem to have a dislike for her and Stardom in general. Nobody delivers on a high quality level that she does consistently bar possibly two/three women (Satomura being one of those). It's not even close to being a stretch, take away your clear dislike for her because the idea that she's not among the best females working in the business right now is bizarre.

Ok you're going completely overboard right now.

I dislike her super long, welcome overstayed title reign, and super formulaic stuff and her not heel turn, I don't hate her in general, at all. And dislike for Io for those reasons and more or Stardom for other reasons, having read and understood those reasons, isn't bizarre in the slightest. 

The names I mentioned work just as consistent as the best of Io, if not more

4 hours ago, JMTD said:

Io is the best female worker in the business (and even if you don't agree, you can't argue that she's not among the best). She's not even close to being stale.

Reveal hidden contents

source.gif

Great spot, but she totally stole that from Samoa Joe :lol:

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure how giving someone a belt 2+ years later than when they should have won it is better than Io as champ. Sera isn't nearly as good as Io, and Io has new challengers all the time. Mayu is the only repeat and that match had actual build and story going in. Same with her most recent challenge. What feud does Seadlinnng have going on right now? And is it interesting because its good or because they have so few a shows that you can actually see that it hasn't become stale yet? What does Diana, JWP, Marvelous, & WAVE have going on right now that is something to get hyped for? I'm not even saying that no one has anything there, but this really seems more like a weird beef with Stardom & Io than anything legitimate.

I'm honestly curious what it would take to make Stardom interesting to you?

"I'm not sure how giving someone a belt 2+ years later than when they should have won it is better than Io as champ" I have no idea what that first part refers to

"Sera isn't nearly as good as Io, and Io has new challengers all the time. Mayu is the only repeat and that match had actual build and story going in. Same with her most recent challenge." First off never claimed she was as good and even I thought Tsukushi or Kurumi shouldve won the title over her. Second, Viper is the other repeat. Third, having different opponents for the same tired out champion for 45% of the belt's existence, unless they're actually worth talking about(hence " something different going on and STUFF TO GET HYPED FOR AND LOOK FORWARD TO"), doesn't break through the staleness unless you wanna go the apathetic route and go "w-well at least it's not the same person every month, guys", especially when that champion works the same match formula book-to-book every time, again, despite what just ended up being a short cocktease of change of anything besides what designs get put on her gear. Just like when any other person who's at the top for a way too long time just goes through the motions just to have a long reign, which is the worst kind of main event scene to have that isn't just plain awful, amplified by this happening to the same individual worker more than once.

"What feud does Seadlinnng have going on right now? And is it interesting because its good or because they have so few a shows that you can actually see that it hasn't become stale yet?" They've been having Yoshiko and Sareee butt heads for almost a year and have actually stepped the heat up more and more recently, including the brawl at the last show that I've seen people talk about how much they love it. It is interesting because they've made it look interesting and it's 2 great workers. And on the subject of their schedule, it's made it work to their advantage, something month to month Korakuen shows with a thrown on there set of title matches every time with a 3-show-long story/build, doesn't.  

"What does Diana, JWP, Marvelous, & WAVE have going on right now that is something to get hyped for?" So 2 promotions that don't make tape besides Samurai TV highlights(and 1 of them being and old vet promotion), JWP which was actually stale, then made Nakamori as champion which is not a good choice but doesn't matter anyway cuz they're gonna die for a 3rd time in April, and a promotion barely anyone really cares about because they have no momentum at all because it's on a channel nobody has besides the one guy uploading it to XWT but never had a good plate to offer anyway? You really wonder why those weren't mentioned?

"I'm not even saying that no one has anything there, but this really seems more like a weird beef with Stardom & Io than anything legitimate." jesus christ, we're going there now for some reason

The first part was referring to Matsumoto and your general claim of Oz trying to push a younger wave which just feels both late and not terribly strong.

I did forget about Viper. Didn't realize it to a bit later. To say Io is using the same match formula for her defenses is kind of a flat out lie. That is something I'm not sure how anyone can come up with no matter how much they don't care for her.

Also I haven't seen anyone talking about Yoshiko vs. Sareee. I've seen comments on Yoshiko vs. Arisa.

I mentioned those other promotions because you literally said "Everyone else has something different going on and stuff to get hyped for and look forward to." 

Honestly this feels pretty pointless to continue.

Eivion is finally seeing the light ;) 

On the Stardom front, they have announced a few matches for Io's Anniversary (Io is typically Midnight Angel):

I know she can't do anything in-ring but I hope Mio shows up just because I love Mio. Also, the 2/23 show will be uploaded by Sunday, I am guessing they didn't want Samurai TV to have it first so its a quicker upload. Debating on which version I'd rather watch, I like the fact SW is uncut but I also like seeing shows pro-shot.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

The first part was referring to Matsumoto and your general claim of Oz trying to push a younger wave which just feels both late and not terribly strong.

I did forget about Viper. Didn't realize it to a bit later. To say Io is using the same match formula for her defenses is kind of a flat out lie. That is something I'm not sure how anyone can come up with no matter how much they don't care for her.

Also I haven't seen anyone talking about Yoshiko vs. Sareee. I've seen comments on Yoshiko vs. Arisa.

I mentioned those other promotions because you literally said "Everyone else has something different going on and stuff to get hyped for and look forward to." 

Honestly this feels pretty pointless to continue.

I said "at least trying". They made the foolish decision leaving them to main event Korakuen with that main event and I still find the shows boring, but it is a switch from Kato's long, boring, super forgettable title reign and her boring, forgettable matches. So far theyre going with it alrightly, they'll fall back soon enough I'm sure, but right now they're making the moves, and they seem to like Yoshiko and Yamashita, seeing them get there would be nice. I'd dig a Yoshiko Oz title reign

"start back and forth a bit, some offense on Io, dive on the outside, Io hits her spots, Io takes a move on the floor/apron, bleeds out the 20 count, get worked on, return to some back and forth, suplex attempts and some nearfalls, German, if that doesn't do it then Moonsault, finish" If you don't recognize that formula even vaguely that's been going on since I can't remember, I don't know what to tell you. And having one isn't inherently wrong to have anyway, and would at least work in a reign that's not 400 days. 

Yoshiko/Sareee is the feud, and they're having a match at the next show I think

And promotions that don't make tape count in this how. I could've mentioned TJP and Gatoh Move but that would sort of be pointless with Gatoh and TJP is relatively just now getting out there and DDT always has a fresh take on stuff and keep things hype-worthy even if it seems like they're repeating things(That's why HARASHIMA still works pretty well even now despite 9 reigns since 2006 or whatever).

IDK, I find a good amount of those old midcard vets that hung around OZ to just be boring and uninteresting. Some of them are retired now, but besides that one Korakuen match with Ozaki where they vacated the title for no reason, Kato is one of them. Another thing when I said "trying" was the Hiroyo/Kato match just being fine, nothing special, just fine.

So do I. The veterans are not just hanging around, they're the backbone of the company. Pretty bizzare thing to say.

As for Kato's two reigns, I found them exciting. It told a story of struggle and Kato is the ultimate underdog. After winning the first singles title of her 20-year career in a grueling 58-minute elimination match, she immediately had to defend against Mio Shirai, who had previously pinned her in just 6 seconds, there was even a callback to that in this improtu match. The feud against sekigun continued with Yumi Ohka and its newest member Arisa Nakajima who had the help of a retired Mio as the bias official. Then there's the generational shift that has been slowing building with Hiroyo at its forefront and a motivated Dynamite Kansai that she has to contend with, on top a revenge-driven Mayumi Ozaki throwing her weight around. There are so many layers to the story, it was great.

I think we can't judge the Yoshiko/Sareee feud cause none of their singles matches have made tape in full. Judging off highlights, it looks great but it's about the same as seeing photos from the Apter mags about a feud. 

I finally got a chance to watch Stardom on 2/23/17, thought top to bottom it was a great card. I was only disappointed by Storm/Purrazzo, everything else delivered. Kairi/Kyona is my favorite match of the year so far in Joshi, hopefully a 'star making' match for Kyona as she really delivered. The Io match had a different feel to it since Shayna Baszler's offense is different than most other wrestlers in Stardom, I thought it was the best match of her career as well.

I'd say to watch the Stardom World version for Konami/Bito since Samurai TV! cut that match down to four minutes, but the main two matches are probably better on TV since they were shown in full and its nice having more camera angles/production for the big matches.

Is Kris Wolf the first gaijin wrestler to start training/debut with a Joshi promotion and win a title? Off the top of my head I can't think of any women that started in Japan without any prior experience at all, let along then won a championship. Amazing Kong got her early success in Japan but was trained before going, same with Monster Ripper.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Is Kris Wolf the first gaijin wrestler to start training/debut with a Joshi promotion and win a title? Off the top of my head I can't think of any women that started in Japan without any prior experience at all, let along then won a championship. Amazing Kong got her early success in Japan but was trained before going, same with Monster Ripper.

She was training MMA in LA when Zenjo asked Inoki if he had a replacement for Aja Kong.  She did have some basic wrestling training but basically had to start from the beginning in Zenjo.

Michiko Omukai lives in Yamaguchi prefecture now where she has a business (or more than one, I'm not really sure). She makes appearances with Gamushara Pro Wrestling in Kitakyushu as part of the gWo. She doesn't really wrestle anymore and that photo used of her isn't current. She looks much thinner now.

http://ameblo.jp/egoist5/image-12251560299-13877973480.html

http://www.gam-pro.com/wrestler.html

So umm from WON.........

If this is true ouch....

Would it even be possible for Stardom to recover from losing Io, Kairi, and Mayu? 

I guess  maybe by signing  Konami and Kagetsu to the roster, and running with a  Bito, Kyona, Kagetsu, and Konami core?  

Yeah - Dave randomly dropping that into the WON out of nowhere was jarring this morning

For folks with terrible eyes

Kairi Hojo of Stardom has agreed to a three-year contract. She’s a great wrestler who was one of the women on the Lucha Underground show against Pentagon Dark earlier this season. Nakamura has been pushing for her to come to NXT for several months, since before we originally reported her getting an offer. She had told Stardom officials that she had turned down the offer and was staying with them. She just told the promotion now that she was leaving and wanted to leave in April. She’s got two titles and Stardom wants to her drop the titles before she leaves. The company felt they were misled by Hojo through all this. Io Shirai, the company’s top star, was more up front about her situation. She’s also reconsidered coming and said that she will be going to Orlando later this month but would not be working any shows over Mania weekend. This is a gigantic blow to Stardom, because they were probably the top two Japanese stars with the group and the key players why Stardom has been viewed as Japan’s top women’s wrestling promotion. Plus the third biggest star from the promotion, Mayu Iwatani, wants to retire before the end of the year. Iwatani was originally booked to win the World of Stardom title from Shirai in December, but the finish was changed to Shirai keeping the belt when Iwatani told the promotion that she wanted to retire in 2017 and Shirai decided she was going to stay. Shirai and Meiko Satomura are generally considered the two best woman wrestlers in the world right now. This would replenish NXT’s women’s division that has really been just Asuka, to a degree Ember Moon, and a bunch of women who aren’t anywhere near that level

I wouldn't put too much into the Mayu news yet since its a rumor that could change any moment, but the Kairi news is clearly legit since Dave has solid sources in WWE (not sure about his sources in the Joshi scene). If Mayu is just tired of Stardom, she could become a Freelancer or join SEAdLINNNG, if she lost her passion then why would she wait a year, so that news is a bit too un-baked for me to take too seriously.

As far as if Stardom can survive, of course they can, but they'd have to become more open minded to having Freelancers while their younger stars are built up. They don't have to officially sign Kagetsu and Konami for them to be regulars, but they'd have to get another higher end star to go with them as while I love Kagetsu and Konami they aren't currently at the Ace level. If Io stays, losing Kairi isn't really a big deal as wrestlers leave promotions all the time and she wasn't the Ace. Since Dave wrote that, Kairi already dropped one title, so she just has one more to lose. They are only really hurt if Io and Kairi both leave, but then it just boils down to if they are willing to change their MO a bit to make up for it or accept downsizing as a promotion.