DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

6 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

We also have to consider the culture.  In America, Yoshiko would have been banished to a career in Insane Clown Posse's shitty fed.  While in Japan, Shibata can be a total asshole and take liberties all over the place and be revered.  My theory is that Act/Yoshiko was supposed to be a light beer version of Hokuto/Kandori but Yoshiko completely lost the plot.  To say that Yoshiko was within her rights to "defend herself" is ludicrous.  Those shots by Act weren't any stiffer than she would get from anybody else.

I dunno, wrestling in the US is sketchy too, I don't think that would have mattered. JBL ran over to Blue Meanie and intentionally punched him in the face on live TV which led to him bleeding everywhere and they turned it into a storyline. Perry Saturn intentionally dropped an opponent on his head and he was given a mop for awhile. God knows how unprofessional some ECW wrestlers were. Wrestling World doesn't take place on the same plane as Real Life, I accepted that a long time ago. Yoshiko did lose her job and no doubt makes less in SEAdLINNNG, plus didn't wrestle for a year, so its not like she wasn't punished.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I dunno, wrestling in the US is sketchy too, I don't think that would have mattered. JBL ran over to Blue Meanie and intentionally punched him in the face on live TV which led to him bleeding everywhere and they turned it into a storyline. Perry Saturn intentionally dropped an opponent on his head and he was given a mop for awhile. God knows how unprofessional some ECW wrestlers were. Wrestling World doesn't take place on the same plane as Real Life, I accepted that a long time ago.

But just as you said, we aren't talking about the biggest draw in the company.  We're talking about Blue Meanie and a jobber.  A closer comparison would be Daniel Puder.  Yoshiko was definitely higher up the card but imagine if a Rhyno would have shot on Kurt Angle on national tv like Yoshiko.

4 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

But just as you said, we aren't talking about the biggest draw in the company.  We're talking about Blue Meanie and a jobber.  A closer comparison would be Daniel Puder.  Yoshiko was definitely higher up the card but imagine if a Rhyno would have shot on Kurt Angle on national tv like Yoshiko.

Yoshiko out-ranked Act, she was the champion and was in more main events. She was no Puder or Rhyno. My point is that no one in US Wrestling History has ever been blackballed from wrestling due to something they did in the ring regardless of their status, there is always a promotion willing to use a wrestler. She got fired/forced to resign/whatever from the promotion the incident happened, that's all that would have happened in WWE at most as well.

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yoshiko out-ranked Act, she was the champion and was in more main events. She was no Puder or Rhyno. My point is that no one in US Wrestling History has ever been blackballed from wrestling due to something they did in the ring regardless of their status, there is always a promotion willing to use a wrestler. She got fired/forced to resign/whatever from the promotion the incident happened, that's all that would have happened in WWE at most as well.

I'd be willing to bet if Kevin Owens repeatedly takes down Reigns on Sunday and punches his face so hard that he looks like the elephant man, he will be sent back to the indies.

1 minute ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I'd be willing to bet if Kevin Owens repeatedly takes down Reigns on Sunday and punches his face so hard that he looks like the elephant man, he will be sent back to the indies.

Well hard to prove a hypothetical either way but I disagree. Plus, one could argue that is what happened to Yoshiko, she went from Stardom to SEAdLINNNG and now is doing shoot fights in small MMA promotions in Korea. Sounds like a step down.

19 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Hey there could be some positive to that. He'd be the ultimate hero in every indie he visits, and here he'd have a thread called Everyone Suddenly Cares About Kevin Owens.

~~~

Back to Joshi: Are there any plans for a large multi-promotional card this year?

Just now, zev said:

Back to Joshi: Are there any plans for a large multi-promotional card this year?

Probably not without a retirement or a big anniversary, which I don't think there are any currently planned. Manami Toyota's 30th is on 11/3, that is probably the best bet if they decide to make it a big deal. But it is not in a big arena so I doubt they are.

46 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yoshiko did lose her job and no doubt makes less in SEAdLINNNG, plus didn't wrestle for a year, so its not like she wasn't punished.

Except she didn't lose her job. She chose to leave despite Stardom pleading with her to stay probably because of how a big talent she was for them.

34 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't end well for Owens before the match even finished.

I can watch Yoshiko. I just can also accept that she was an asshole then. Yoshiko was my favorite wrestler in Stardom then, if not all of joshi so I can get not wanting to see her as doing something wrong. At some point you do have to accept reality. It doesn't mean you have to hate her or never watch her again. Just don't live in denial.

I finally got around to watching Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Kyoko Kimura from 1/8 in OZ Academy, would not recommend. The sound was messed up which didn't help, the commentators were a bit loud and the crowd was too muted, which took me out of it a bit. But it was just a... weird match. Kyoko controlled the match with limb work but Hiroyo hit a combination of power moves at the end and suddenly gets the pinfall with very little setup. I can't really figure out what they were going for and I think 20+ minutes is too long for a 2017 Kyoko Kimura match. I love Hiroyo but overall it was disappointing.

5 hours ago, zev said:

Wasn't that basically Kyoko Kimura's retirement show?

Io's anniversary will probably have some outside talent.

12 hours ago, .STAP said:

Yoshiko was never 'forgiven' because she did nothing wrong. Io, Mayu and Hiroyo literally begged her to not retire, Suwama told her to not give in and stay strong, and I think they would know more about the situation than any of us would. Mayu still tweets Yoshiko publicly and no one is crying about it. Most fans know she did nothing wrong. Moreover, I haven't seen any of the Stardom girls (other than Fuka) talk to or even take pictures with Act since she left Stardom and she has attended several of their several shows. So we have one party who is universally loved and booked everywhere and another who is shunned by the roster, speaks volumes about who is in the wrong.

Some of the Stardom wrestlers recently filmed stuff with Act on her NHK Drama show. http://ameblo.jp/yasukawayuka/entry-12227209846.html

Since I know people love reading other people's rankings and shaking their head at them, I finally finished my ranking of the Top 20 Joshi Wrestlers of 2016. I use my own made-up criteria but its partially kayfabe and isn't a ranking of who I think is the best in-ring. Here is how I ranked them, the hyperlink provides more details:

Spoiler

1. Io Shirai (Stardom)
2. Arisa Nakajima (JWP/Freelancer)
3. Kairi Hojo (Stardom)
4. Sonoko Kato (OZ Academy)
5. Yuu Yamagata (Pro Wrestling WAVE)
6. Tsukasa Fujimoto (Ice Ribbon)
7. Dynamite Kansai (OZ Academy)
8. Meiko Satomura (Sendai Girls’)
9. Mayu Iwatani (Stardom)
10. Kyoko Kimura (Freelancer)
11. Makoto (REINA)
12. Risa Sera (Ice Ribbon)
13. Hiroyo Matsumoto (Freelancer)
14. Ryo Mizunami (Pro Wrestling WAVE)
15. Syuri (Freelancer)
16. Hanako Nakamori (JWP)
17. Misaki Ohata (Pro Wrestling WAVE)
18. Hikaru Shida (Freelancer)
19. Chihiro Hashimoto (Sendai Girls’)
20. Kagetsu (Freelancer) 

8 hours ago, Dshuks said:

So Sareee is transferring to Seadlining in February . Nane, Yoshiko, Arisa, and Saree is a very strong core . If Natsuki would unretire , and maybe if they signed a duo like Saki and Mizuki . They'd have the makings of a pretty strong roster. 

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170201-00000025-tospoweb-fight

Wow. I didn't expect this. Looks like Nanae isn't playing.

Sareee is so good so this is a steal. 

Not sure if this has come up previously. Meltz on Act vs Yoshiko:

Just because this is a question constantly asked about, and because it’s come up against now that Yoshiko is doing MMA, the February 22, 2015 incident where Yoshiko started punching out Act Yasukawa, which pretty much led to the end of Yasukawa’s career due to eye damage, was not a work. I think most people know that but in pro wrestling, some can’t believe anything is unplanned because of the fear of being fooled (why some people, even in the industry, cling to the idea the 1997 Survivor Series was an angle that Bret Hart and Vince McMahon worked). Yoshiko was told point blank to shoot on Yasukawa by Nanae Takahashi, who was the locker room leader and Yoshiko’s head trainer, as well as by Natsuko Taiyo. Takahashi and Taiyo then left Stardom and formed Seadling. Yoshiko then retired, which was a storyline because she was actually fired. Seadling also just got Arisa Nakajima, who was the top star of JWP, who quit that group in December. Commando Boilshoi runs JWP and had no idea she was leaving, and the promotion is in trouble without her

W. T. F.

I have trouble believing that since Act herself mentioned in an interview being unsure why Yoshiko shot on her, and Stardom themselves had several wrestlers begging Yoshiko not to retire. There is literally no reason to sell that as a story.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is SEAdLINNNG's last two shows weren't taped for TV (as far as I know). So I hope that if they are signing new wrestlers that they have at least gotten that sorted out, I don't know how airing on Nico works but lots of small promotions do so I hope they will put their new shows on there. If they continue not having their events air anywhere and don't sell the events online, they won't be able to rise too much above Diana level since only 700 people will be able to watch them every two months.