DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

10 minutes ago, .STAP said:

Insanely padded out number. How many of those were paying customers?

The same could be said for Stardom, or SEAdLINNNG, or OZ, or WAVE, or Big Japan, or W-1, or All Japan, or NOAH, or WWE, or New Japan. All promotions give out promo tickets, there isn't really a way to track it since they don't exactly announce that. I knew we had Stardom haters on this board, never thought I'd stumble across someone that goes out of their way to hate on Ice Ribbon of all promotions.

I don't hate Ice Ribbon at all, Kevin. I love Ice Ribbon. 

It's just super obvious that they padded the number, even their own websites shows that three sections of the arena weren't sold out the day of the event: http://iceribbon.com/news_detail.php?id=1129

[Tickets on the day fee] 
front row: sold out 
special ringside seat: sold out 
Ringside seat: 6000 yen 
reserved seat A: 5000 yen 
seats B: 4000 yen

I'm not the only person to point this out either. It is what it is. Whatever helps Neoplus fill the building. 

I hardly consider that an actual draw, though.

I actually question last year's RIBBONMANIA number too in retrospect. Neko wasn't all that big of a name for her retirement to draw and you can't convince me that 1000 people paid to see Aoi Kizuki in a main event.

So with the Holidays I had a chance to catch up on Sendai's last two shows; Hashimoto/Miyagi was better then I expected, Cassandra got a chance to show off more of what she can do and Hashimoto obviously felt more comfortable in this match then the Satomura match because she layed it in a lot stronger here.  I'm shocked they're doing Aja vs Hashimoto so soon, I figured they'd get another defense in against one of the freelance veterans they use before Aja; because I don't see Hashimoto winning that match yet.

I haven't grown tired of Dash and Kaoru's Hardcore Funtime Show yet, but granted I've seen a lot less of that stuff.  That being said, I'm sure it'll wear thin soon.

And poor Shirahime keeps losing, though her versus Hana Kimura was fun and make me wonder what that match will be like after they get some more experience.  Also, Shirahime's angry face is downright scary; she looks like she really want to take your head off.

Happy New Years everybody!

Stardom is starting January really hot, in regards to what I personally like anyway. I think all the gaijins they brought in range from good to great (Viper, Shayna Baszler, Nixon Newell, and Kay Lee Ray), and it looks like Konami is wrestling on at least some of the shows since she teams with Kairi on 1/8. Shame about Hana breaking her wrist since it looks like she will miss Kyoko's retirement show, but at least it doesn't seem to be a major injury.

How are Newell & Baszler? I've seen one or two matches of Newell and they weren't the best to judge her on while I've seen nothing with Baszler. Konami mentioned wanting to wrestle in Stardom more so I expect her to be a regular this year like Kagetsu. I'm disappointed about Hana's injury, but at the same time I can't help but be excited about Viper replacing her for the Artist titles match.

I honestly have never seen Newell but people I trust said she was good so I am just going off of that. I have enjoyed Baszler, she wrestles as she should wrestle - strength/MMA spots without trying to do more than she probably should be doing at her experience level. I'd be a little scared if she had a 20 min singles match as I dunno how that would be, but she's good at what she does within her limits.

If given the time, Kairi/Konami vs. KLR/Newell has a real chance to steal the show on 1/8. Even though its just a house show I am really looking forward to that match, its a unique pairing but I know I like three of them and as stated I've heard good things about Newell. There is always some concern about a wrestler adapting well to a new environment but its much easier to hide that in tag matches if there is any early awkwardness.

Going back and watching Cinderella 2013. What a stacked card. It took place right before I got into Joshi so I remember nothing about the impression of it at the time, I need to go see if any old threads at joshifans have any haters complaining about it so I know what people thought. But it has about six matches I'm really looking forward to, funny seeing even back in 2013 poor Io was battling the big bad gaijin.

Other than Io not being built enough I don't recall any big complaints. I don't recall any of the matches being anything all that great either though the title matches were generally decent. I want to say Alpha Female vs. Io was the highlight though its been a while.

I couldn't even find the Stardom thread over there so I must be blind. Yea I am not to the main matches yet but everything things good but not great. Nothing got a ton of time, it seems like they wanted to put on a show with a lot of different match types/themes plus have every title defended, so its a bit bloated.

I enjoy going back and readying what people thought of shows closer to when they happened, offers a different perspective. Like reading how much people seemed to hate AtoZ and GAEA (not saying everyone did but I read a lot of negative shit from that time period about both) back before I got into Joshi. It doesn't change my opinion of the shows but watching something ten years later is obviously different than watching it at the time.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I enjoy going back and readying what people thought of shows closer to when they happened, offers a different perspective. Like reading how much people seemed to hate AtoZ and GAEA (not saying everyone did but I read a lot of negative shit from that time period about both) back before I got into Joshi. It doesn't change my opinion of the shows but watching something ten years later is obviously different than watching it at the time.

I do the same as I believe that context matters and what people thought at the time is important historically cause a lot of views change once time goes on. 

On 03/01/2017 at 11:21 PM, .STAP said:

So how about Rossy going with Io/Viper again? This looks to be a boring month for Stardom esp. with top prospect Hana out.

Wrestling is very subjective and opinionated, it all comes down to the styles you like and don't like. Personally I appreciate a wide range of styles and for me Viper brings something a little different to the table and a stylistically different matchup to keep things fresh. Actually really enjoyed their previous match for the title (back in February I think? Seems like forever ago), I think this one has potential to be pretty good too but get that not everybody is going to enjoy it probably as much as I will.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is that the one Stardom had some involvement in for a few of their December shows?

Nope. That was the NHK "Giving You a Dropkick" special Act Yasukawa is doing as a supporting role to Ayako Imoto. Kairi and Kyona were in their gear in pics of it, Kris, Mimura and Natsuko were also there, according to Act she got to wrestle again while they were filming but only for 4 minutes or so w/Wada as a ref, but Stardom itself never publicly recognized their involvement in it(probably cuz it comes out in March). JWP is also involved in the filming of it.

This AKB drama is a different deal. There's no real wrestler involvement as far as I know of besides the split second shots of Stardom footage in the trailer and Milano Collection AT in the 1st "Road To" video

12 hours ago, JMTD said:

Wrestling is very subjective and opinionated, it all comes down to the styles you like and don't like. Personally I appreciate a wide range of styles and for me Viper brings something a little different to the table and a stylistically different matchup to keep things fresh. Actually really enjoyed their previous match for the title (back in February I think? Seems like forever ago), I think this one has potential to be pretty good too but get that not everybody is going to enjoy it probably as much as I will.

I was specifically talking about the booking, not the match itself. I'm sure it will be a good match, but it is a recycled filler title defense unless Viper is winning the belt here, which would be pretty shocking.