DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

43 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Last area appearance of Dynamite Kansai?

It's probably that. I saw photos from the show like this and it looked packed. 

But the upper level had nobody in those seats. 

I saw somebody on wooo say that Dynamite's retirement show will probably do 1350 which is probably right since she's going against Ozaki for the last time. 

Kyushu Pro do a lot of stuff with local communities in Kyushu (even though I think Oita has it's own NPO wrestling indy) plus one of the guys they sent is a hometown boy.

The card was way more stacked and focused on Dynamite than the Sendai Girls show in Hakata seemed to be. Also her last show in Kyushu proper.

No joshi groups go out to Oita.

From the looks of it, there was a high school band that performed and possibly some local idols so that probably helped.

http://togetter.com/li/1055208

Just go back on a couple weeks ago about how people here were frustrated with the Stardom main event scene and how some the Rookies weren't getting opportunities, I looked up shows they've put on this year (59 shows) and the number of times certain people were in the main events for 2016 and here's how the numbers play out up to today:

Io Shirai - 46 

Mayu Iwatani - 35

Kairi Hojo - 24

Jungle Kyona - 14

Momo Watanabe - 14

Yoko Bito - 13

Kagetsu - 8

The foreigner with the most amount of main events is Kris Wolf with 6 and if don't consider her a foreigner cause she's full time, then Santana Garrett & Viper are there with 5 main events. So, the narrative of too many foreigners being pushed isn't really true cause of Jungle, Momo and Bito.

16 minutes ago, JML said:

Just go back on a couple weeks ago about how people here were frustrated with the Stardom main event scene and how some the Rookies weren't getting opportunities, I looked up shows they've put on this year (59 shows) and the number of times certain people were in the main events for 2016 and here's how the numbers play out up to today:

Io Shirai - 46 

Mayu Iwatani - 35

Kairi Hojo - 24

Jungle Kyona - 14

Momo Watanabe - 14

Yoko Bito - 13

Kagetsu - 8

The foreigner with the most amount of main events is Kris Wolf with 6 and if don't consider her a foreigner cause she's full time, then Santana Garrett & Viper are there with 5 main events. So, the narrative of too many foreigners being pushed isn't really true cause of Jungle, Momo and Bito.

That is a little misleading though. Momo being in a six wrestler tag on a house show isn't the same as Viper being in the main in a title match (not that I have anything against Viper, just as an example). I think the main complaint is the number of title/big matches the foreigners are getting without winning matches first in Stardom. Like Taya got a shot at the biggest title in Stardom in her first ever match in Stardom, while Momo and Kyouna combined for one singles challenge all year even though they had a combined 114 matches in Stardom in 2016. Or Chelsea Green getting a title shot with no build-up. To me that is the bigger issue, I don't mind the foreigners, I just wish they did a bit more to build them up before giving them title shots and were a bit more selective in who they brought over.

To go a bit further with statistics:

Gaijin singles title challenges in Japan (not counting the SWA): 12
Kyona, Momo, Bito, and Kagetsu combined singles title challenges: 3

So that is probably more what sticks in people's minds, not literally how many main events but how many big matches. In that regard, it is pretty lopsided.

1 hour ago, JML said:

Io Shirai - 46 

Mayu Iwatani - 35

Kairi Hojo - 24

Jungle Kyona - 14

Momo Watanabe - 14

Yoko Bito - 13

Kagetsu - 8

How many weren't just some tags on nothing shows, though?

Judging like that is completely lost and pointless and doesnt help your argument that there isn't too many foreigners getting pushed. Nobody is focusing SOLELY on main events. Main eventing spot shows isn't a magical gift especially if theyre just taking a pin. How many home talent got High Speed and White Belt title shots? Cuz combining those numbers gets you around 2(plus Kagetsu) or so out of a whole 11 months, counting Reo Hazuki getting one soon.

You guys have a point about the importance of the matches but to me, I would have the bigger problem with the foreigners being pushed if they were winning all these title matches which they haven't other than Garrett which goes back to last year. 

On a more positive note, I thought the way that the 11/20 was structured was solid. Thea's debut in the promotion was ideal (early card shorter singles match as an introduction), a fun Twisted Sisters match, Kyona getting a chance against Bito in a singles match, then the 'rookies' having a bigger role in the main event. Even though it was a 'house show' six wrestler tag match, Momo and Kyona had a mic exchange to start a feud there and HZK looks to be an important part of things. If they could do more of that I'd be happy, I actually enjoyed this show a lot more than the 10/30 show as the matches were tighter, nothing was bad and the main event felt like they were going to do something different.

Interesting thing about the Korakuen card , theres only 2 gajiin in one match. I think this is one f the most native focused cards in Stardom fin a long time. So that should please people (myself included).

Although I would have rather had Konami vs Kyona, with Hiromi in the tag match. It would have made more sense to do that and have Hiromi and Saori tag, and pair Yoneyama with Natsuko. I'm guessing Konami is getting the win though, so they probably just did not want to job Kyona.