DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I think its more of a promotion now than it was a year ago, but I still can't see how that was a good career move for Iroha long term. Not that she should feel obligated to stay somewhere she didn't want to, but I'd think she'd have gotten more exposure and experience just being a general Freelancer. I keep thinking that either she'll end up like Sareee or Yamashita (technically affiliated with a small promotion but wrestles everywhere) or she will break free completely once she gets whatever training she must have thought she'd benefit from with Nagayo. She defeated Ryo Mizunami the other day which is no small feat, so even though she isn't getting TV exposure it appears the other promotions are respecting whatever growth she has made over the last year which is definitely a good sign for her, her time with Marvelous hasn't been a waste at least.

6 hours ago, Dshuks said:

So what is going on with Marvelous?  Is it actually a promotion anymore? Does Iroha regret leaving Stardom or at the very least tying herself down to Chigusa's pmootion and not going freelance? 

They had a show at 1stRING Tuesday that drew 243. Just because the promotion isn't being seen by western fans doesn't mean there is no place for it.

Reminder that LLPW still exists in some form or fashion.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think its more of a promotion now than it was a year ago, but I still can't see how that was a good career move for Iroha long term. Not that she should feel obligated to stay somewhere she didn't want to, but I'd think she'd have gotten more exposure and experience just being a general Freelancer. I keep thinking that either she'll end up like Sareee or Yamashita (technically affiliated with a small promotion but wrestles everywhere) or she will break free completely once she gets whatever training she must have thought she'd benefit from with Nagayo. She defeated Ryo Mizunami the other day which is no small feat, so even though she isn't getting TV exposure it appears the other promotions are respecting whatever growth she has made over the last year which is definitely a good sign for her, her time with Marvelous hasn't been a waste at least.

I don't know what good being a freelancing rookie would do for anyone. Has that ever been done before?

I think we'll see her getting booked more in WAVE next year.

7 hours ago, .STAP said:

I don't know what good being a freelancing rookie would do for anyone. Has that ever been done before?

She had been wrestling in Stardom almost two years when she joined Marvelous so I wouldn't consider her a rookie, she's been wrestling now for over 3 years. And she could technically be affiliated with a promotion and still wrestle a variety of promotions like Konami. Iroha has been wrestling longer than Yamashita has and Yamashita wrestles all over the place. Whether that is just Iroha's personal choice or there are other reasons, I have no idea.

The change in the shows run by Marvel Corp from "That's Women's Pro Wrestling" to "Marvelous" came with a big upgrade in production of the shows. Music, video and lighting are much improved. The two shows I attended were full houses and had many loyal fans that will buy every gimmick on sale from Chigusa.

5 hours ago, ka-to said:

The change in the shows run by Marvel Corp from "That's Women's Pro Wrestling" to "Marvelous" came with a big upgrade in production of the shows. Music, video and lighting are much improved. The two shows I attended were full houses and had many loyal fans that will buy every gimmick on sale from Chigusa.

Hell I'd buy every gimmick on sale from Chigusa. She's my favorite.

• Like 1

So I watched the pop junior tittle match between  Hana Kimura and Natsumi Maki .

it was pretty good, both of their strikes are not the strongest . But Natsumi moves around the ring really well and has some nice moves , and Hana isn't bad for her experience level. 

I hope jWP continues to book Natsumi , and that she gets some bookings with promotions like Wave or Ice Ribbon. She's turned into one of the better rookie wrestlers out there. 

For Takumi, it's a case of her living her dream. She idolizes Chigusa. Now she does everything for her. Drive her everywhere, do whatever she needs done.
Her stock rose tenfold in Japan just from being the protege of Chigusa Nagayo, more than wrestling with Stardom or anyone else could have brought.
Chigusa is still revered in Japan. When anyone with stature comes to Stardom shows, lets say Satomura for instance. She is shown the utmost respect and the younger girls, staff and everyone else are of course very kind, everyone goes out of there way to make sure she is welcomed. But the times I have seen Chigusa at Stardom shows...well, it is like time stands still. The young girls almost bow on the ground to her. Everything stops. Even the fans standing outside of the venue. She still has an aura.
All of that rubs off on Takumi. She is treated with more regard by the fans, but also the promotions. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

She had been wrestling in Stardom almost two years when she joined Marvelous so I wouldn't consider her a rookie, she's been wrestling now for over 3 years. And she could technically be affiliated with a promotion and still wrestle a variety of promotions like Konami. Iroha has been wrestling longer than Yamashita has and Yamashita wrestles all over the place. Whether that is just Iroha's personal choice or there are other reasons, I have no idea.

Yamashita is signed with ZABUN (WAVE/DAIJO) so she has GAMI to help get her bookings. Since leaving REINA and signing with GPS, Konami so far has only gotten bookings in grimy indies like AppleStar. I just remembered that Maika Ozaki is a freelancing rookie, but she has only been booked in Ice Ribbon and will probably end up signing with them. There really aren't any examples of a freelancing rookie (2 years is nothing) having a viable career. When Eri Susa left Stardom, she immediately signed with JWP, for example.

It would be best for Iroha to establish herself before becoming a freelancer.

Random photos from the Hakata November 23rd double shot at Star Lanes:

Spoiler

Someone came prepared:

HakataNov23201601.jpg

Spoiler

Hot daughter/mother action:

HakataNov23201613.jpg

Spoiler

New tag champs!

HakataNov23201623.jpg

Spoiler

Uh oh:

HakataNov23201627.jpg

Spoiler

She's looking for meeeeee..

HakataNov23201638.jpg

Sendai Girls: http://www.sendaigirls.jp/information/index.php#2

Stardom: http://wwr-stardom.com/?result=2016年11月23日 goddesses-of-stars2016#more-14608

Nothing earth shattering. No matches were actively bad.

Sendai Girls: Would have been nicer if Shida/Syuri had won without an extra kendo shot thrown in at the end, The ending of Meiko/Aja seemed abrupt and like it was a mistake but I think (if you ever see the match) the ending was that Meiko went for one more move after both were down for a 8 or 9 count and missed and that was more than enough for Aja to pin her.

Stardom: I'm down with heel Momo. Was surprised that Bito/Hojo/Kyona didn't win. I'm torn as to whether Hana is better as a face or a heel. The Kimuras were the only ones who worked both shows. Kyoko kicked Hana a couple times in the head. It was touching. Naturally "Emo" Shirai and Taya had a weird dynamic but was fine for what it was.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 8:50 PM, .STAP said:

Yamashita is signed with ZABUN (WAVE/DAIJO) so she has GAMI to help get her bookings. Since leaving REINA and signing with GPS, Konami so far has only gotten bookings in grimy indies like AppleStar. I just remembered that Maika Ozaki is a freelancing rookie, but she has only been booked in Ice Ribbon and will probably end up signing with them. There really aren't any examples of a freelancing rookie (2 years is nothing) having a viable career. When Eri Susa left Stardom, she immediately signed with JWP, for example.

It would be best for Iroha to establish herself before becoming a freelancer.

That's a bit of a twisting of details to help your argument, Konami just left REINA in August, took some time off, and since has gotten to wrestle Kairi Hojo in a 20+ minute singles match and is on the WAVE show tomorrow. Its not like she quit REINA and fell into an abyss for years, its too early to see the results but REINA is such a small promotion itself it won't hurt her if WAVE still uses her and she has some freedom.

Io and Mio both also started their careers as Freelancers, and they had pretty good careers. Everything depends on a lot of factors - ability, willingness to wrestle anywhere to improve, connections, wrestling climate, etc. but every situation is different and what works for one wrestler and their career goals may not work for another.

Since I collect rare Kana matches due to her being my favorite wrestler in recent memory, today I got in the mail a match she did where the other wrestlers were topless (I assume it goes without saying but Kana was fully clothed). While I appreciate her open-mindedness, I hope that no WWE fan every complains about any storyline she ever does there, as nothing can be worse than the matches she did when she was a Freelancer in Japan.

Sadly, the other DVD I ordered of some small show in 2014 where she wrestled Naoshi Sano and Makoto was sold out, so I'll have to keep looking for it.

On my never-ending quest to track down weird random Joshi events from ten years ago (so when the current stars were babies and the current old timers were in their prime), I saw this picture online and hunted down the match:

hUVwKCY.jpg

Looks like Yuu Yamagata vs. Amazing Kong from T-1 GP. No idea where she jumped from, show was at Korakuen.  I also tracked down an event that Rossy Ogawa has a "match" of sorts, no idea if its his only unofficially official match or not. We'll find out in a few days hopefully. I also have Wild Hero on the way. I have no idea why I can't be satisfied with the dozen 2016 events I haven't watched yet, I think because I got into Joshi so late I feel there is older stuff I need to catch up on, and I like going after smaller shows as I generally find them more fun.

I think anybody who is a fan of Threedom needs to see tonight's episode of Lucha Underground. Great episode and I can see WWE upping their contract offer for Io specifically cause she was unbelievable. 

On 11/30/2016 at 3:07 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

On my never-ending quest to track down weird random Joshi events from ten years ago (so when the current stars were babies and the current old timers were in their prime), I saw this picture online and hunted down the match:

hUVwKCY.jpg

Looks like Yuu Yamagata vs. Amazing Kong from T-1 GP. No idea where she jumped from, show was at Korakuen.  I also tracked down an event that Rossy Ogawa has a "match" of sorts, no idea if its his only unofficially official match or not. We'll find out in a few days hopefully. I also have Wild Hero on the way. I have no idea why I can't be satisfied with the dozen 2016 events I haven't watched yet, I think because I got into Joshi so late I feel there is older stuff I need to catch up on, and I like going after smaller shows as I generally find them more fun.

Strangely enough, I had a hand in this match.  This was back when I was talking to them both and Kong said she wanted to wrestle Yamagata.  Yuu was dumbfounded that Kong even knew who she was when I told her.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Strangely enough, I had a hand in this match.  This was back when I was talking to them both and Kong said she wanted to wrestle Yamagata.  Yuu was dumbfounded that Kong even knew who she was when I told her.

I'm still trying to figure out where she jumped from, the picture was taken at a fantastic angle since it makes it look like she is flying.

14 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's pretty crazy though, for a small show that no one will ever see.

I saw it. I got the DVD cheap from Futami at the T-1 shop. Yes it is the NE corner of Korakuen. Futami is a strange dude who mumbles, grunts and is disinterested while working in his own store, but he has given me stuff for free and his shop is worth a visit because he gets discount tickets, for baseball too. One of the T-1 DVDs ends with him doing a half hour promo.  

Ha oh I didn't mean that literally, I just ordered a copy too. I more meant usually wrestlers do big dives at Korakuen for title matches or they are named Jun Kasai, just surprised she went all out for a midcard tag match on a show that was only on DVD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JML said:

Yesterday's Oz Academy show drew another 2,000 people for a house show in Oita. 

That's a bit suspicious considering it was just a house show card, so either Kyushu Pro really really helped push tickets or something else was going on (festival, ticket giveaway, etc.). I mean I am happy for any promotion that gets a big attendance regardless of its method, always an encouraging sign when a Joshi promotion gets 1.5K+ in today's climate.

48 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's a bit suspicious considering it was just a house show card, so either Kyushu Pro really really helped push tickets or something else was going on (festival, ticket giveaway, etc.). I mean I am happy for any promotion that gets a big attendance regardless of its method, always an encouraging sign when a Joshi promotion gets 1.5K+ in today's climate.

Last area appearance of Dynamite Kansai?