DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

7 minutes ago, .STAP said:

I just can't imagine a big name freelancer jobbing to any of Rossy's girls... esp. with how things played out with Satomaru refusing to drop the belt to Hojo last year. None of them have the level of 'respect' that Io has.

Where was it said that Satomura refused to drop the belt to Kairi?.

51 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It won't kill Stardom if Io & Kairi leave, but it will hurt a lot even if Mayu & Bito step up a tremendous amount. Not really sure where people are getting these ideas that this means more native freelancers. The troubles of booking native freelancers have already been stated before.

If you just play ball instead of hard ball these wouldn't be "such troubles"

1 hour ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Um, so how is this gonna jibe with the Lucha Underground appearance that hasn't been broadcast yet?  Is somebody gonna end up suing somebody or will LU just not show it?

I've pondered this too. I've asked about it in other places and heard nothing. Maybe they are masked so it might give them a way out.  From what I remembered from the spoilers, they are involved in a major angle. 

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why are you assuming its Stardom is playing hard ball?

I'll assume his assumption (I guess making a double assumption) is that all other Joshi promotions use Freelancers on a regular basis except Stardom, so since Stardom seems to be the exception, at least some of the blame would lie with their management. Not that they don't have the right to do that of course, I don't see it as a bad thing, but its been the norm for years for them to not use as many as the other promotions.

Just now, JML said:

I've pondered this too. I've asked about it in other places and heard nothing. Maybe they are masked so it might give them a way out.  From what I remembered from the spoilers, they are involved in a major angle. 

It also depends on what kind of contract they signed, if any. Puma, Cage, etc. would have different contracts since they have full season contracts, I don't know if a wrestler(s) is just brought in for a couple shows if they sign the same contract where they can't appear on TV for any other promotion until the season airs. I doubt a one-shot wrestler would agree to those types of terms unless they got  a fair amount of money, but that's just speculation on my part.

58 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Where was it said that Satomura refused to drop the belt to Kairi?.

It was never explicitly stated, but that was clearly what Stardom was angling for.

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why are you assuming its Stardom is playing hard ball?

The We.Are.Stardom dude posted on another forum that the Thunder Rock vs. Best Friends match fell through because Ice Ribbon's management made changes to the match and that they would never work with the company again. It certainly doesn't sound like they are willing to make a compromise.

2 minutes ago, .STAP said:

It was never explicitly stated, but that was clearly what Stardom was angling for.

The We.Are.Stardom dude posted on another forum that the Thunder Rock vs. Best Friends match fell through because Ice Ribbon's management made changes to the match and that they would never work with the company again. It certainly doesn't sound like they are willing to make a compromise.

I don't think Kairi beating Meiko was what they were angling for, particularly since the build of the matches pushed that Kairi, as good as she was, really wasn't t that level yet. Meiko just lost her promotion's main belt to a rookie.

Without knowing what changes were made you can't really make that assumption.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'll assume his assumption (I guess making a double assumption) is that all other Joshi promotions use Freelancers on a regular basis except Stardom, so since Stardom seems to be the exception, at least some of the blame would lie with their management. Not that they don't have the right to do that of course, I don't see it as a bad thing, but its been the norm for years for them to not use as many as the other promotions.

The thing is there are a host of questions involved when working with freelancers. Are they interested in working there? How much are the willing to lose? How often they willing to lose elsewhere if they get a push? How often are they willing to work? etc., etc. The implication the We Are Stardom poster gave when this was being discussed earlier seemed to push that this is more a problem with the freelancers than Stardom. I would guess its somewhere in between.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Making assumptions is what wrestling forums were made for :) This place would be dead if we only gave facts, where is the fun in that.

True, but it feels weird to assume Stardom was in the wrong, particularly when the changes that caused the problems came from Ice Ribbon's side.

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't think Kairi beating Meiko was what they were angling for, particularly since the build of the matches pushed that Kairi, as good as she was, really wasn't t that level yet. Meiko just lost her promotion's main belt to a rookie.

Without knowing what changes were made you can't really make that assumption.

I don't know, Hojo winning the league tournament seemed like they were setting up for a redemption story where she would finally get the win over Satomaru, but when those plans fell through she just floundered in the mid-card. Why build the momentum if you aren't planning on doing anything with it? Why not just have Io win the tournament since she ended up challenging for Satomaru at the year-end show anyway? And then Io suddenly dropping the white belt to Santana of all people before a big match?.. It makes no sense. 

Satomaru lost to her OWN rookie to help benefit her OWN promotion. I don't know what point you're even trying to make there.

13 minutes ago, .STAP said:

I don't know, Hojo winning the league tournament seemed like they were setting up for a redemption story where she would finally get the win over Satomaru, but when those plans fell through she just floundered in the mid-card. Why build the momentum if you aren't planning on doing anything with it? Why not just have Io win the tournament since she ended up challenging for Satomaru at the year-end show anyway? And then Io suddenly dropping the white belt to Santana of all people before a big match?.. It makes no sense. 

Satomaru lost to her OWN rookie to help benefit her OWN promotion. I don't know what point you're even trying to make there.

Kairi's GP win always came across trying to give her back a little of the status/credit she lost when Meiko defeated her. Doing Meiko vs. Kairi  a third time so soon would have been a bit much. Io losing the white belt seemed more like Stardom not wanting her to hold the two biggest titles at once. It also probably served to put some doubt on whether she could win the red belt back from Meiko.

Meiko was also the first big name Kana beat in singles. My point is that Meiko seems to be willing to do business if the money/favors are there. I have trouble seeing her refusing to lose to Kairi unless Kairi did something to piss her off personally.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It also depends on what kind of contract they signed, if any. Puma, Cage, etc. would have different contracts since they have full season contracts, I don't know if a wrestler(s) is just brought in for a couple shows if they sign the same contract where they can't appear on TV for any other promotion until the season airs. I doubt a one-shot wrestler would agree to those types of terms unless they got  a fair amount of money, but that's just speculation on my part.

People keep bringing this up and I just can't understand it. They were in for one night, a "guest starring role" if you will. Do you actually believe Rossy is dumb enough to have his girls sign some kind of exclusive contract that would tie them up for literally years because of one nights work?

Maybe bring Aja in and have her be the aging ace for a year? I dunno... I keep thinking Aja is still so incredible and doesn't seem to age all that much. Plus, her style is good for smaller girls to get sympathy babyface heat.

James

48 minutes ago, .STAP said:

Aja would probably greet Rossy with a uraken if she ever saw him again. They don't have a good history.

I was about to say something like that. She sued Rossy over the 15 years ago back in the Arsion days so there's no chance there. Probably you can put her, Ayako Hamada, Nanae Takahashi, Yoshiko and all of Ice Ribbon on the list of people that Rossy will never have in a Stardom ring. 

Oh man I forgot all about Rossy and Aja's falling out back in thr Arsion days. Outside of Aja I got nothin'... The only true viable heel with a major rep is Ozaki and I doubt she has any interest in doing anything with Stardom plus she's got OZ Academy to run

James

Since they are gaijin-happy, Awesome Kong still wrestles. I personally thought she looked like she lost a few steps in her SEAdLINNNG match last year but I think she still has a bit of a name in Japan and would be a good base for the Stardom wrestlers.

1 hour ago, donsem43 said:

My Triple Tails timeline is fuzzy, but won't this be the first time that Asuka and Io will work for the same company, assuming Io does sign, since her arrest in 2012?

Since before the arrest, I think its the first time since Io joined Stardom in 2011. Kana never wrestled in Stardom and Io hasn't wrestled a lot of other Joshi promotions since then so I don't think they've even been on the same show since September 2011.