DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

The Sendai Girls show is basically a two match show cause they cut a lot from the undercard matches. I had the tag match at ***1/2 and the main event at ****. Hashimoto is still raw but she can hang in a main event. Scary spot towards the end of the match where Hashimoto did a German right on Meiko's head. The ref looked afraid as he was trying to stop her cause Meiko was holding her neck. He literally told her to stop and cover at one point. 

OZ Academy's Yokohama show is looking good so far.

- 11/13 Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium (GAORA) - OZ Academy 20th Anniversary Yokohama Dreams Park DK
* Yumi Ohka vs. Saki Akai
* Manami Toyota & Tsukushi vs. Double Kimura (Kyoko Kimura & Hana Kimura)
* Aja Kong & Meiko Satomura vs. Chihiro Hashimoto & Yoshiko
* Dynamite Kansai & Mayumi Ozaki vs. Rina Yamashita & Maya Yukihi
* OZ Academy Openweight Championship : Sonoko Kato © vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto

Looking forward to the HOSS dream team of Hashimoto & Yoshiko.

10 hours ago, JML said:

The Sendai Girls show is basically a two match show cause they cut a lot from the undercard matches. I had the tag match at ***1/2 and the main event at ****. Hashimoto is still raw but she can hang in a main event. Scary spot towards the end of the match where Hashimoto did a German right on Meiko's head. The ref looked afraid as he was trying to stop her cause Meiko was holding her neck. He literally told her to stop and cover at one point. 

Last year's show also aired in full, I wonder if that is happening again or if I'll have to get the DVD. I don't like to watch clipped down shows unless its the only way I can watch it, I need the full experience. One of these days REINA will update their shop and I am going to spend way too much on DVDs, they stopped updating it right before the show I wanted to watch on 7/21 (which I assume they taped).

I just ordered the Marvelous USA 2/13/16 DVD, I think mostly because I am still mad I didn't go as I didn't know it was going to be the last USA show they did (at least they don't seem to have any plans for another one). I wish they released more of their events on DVD/online, I hate there are Joshi promotions with wrestlers I like that I can't watch. Heaven forbid that Diana put their DVDs on sale online, I know they film them.

19 hours ago, donsem43 said:

Bah, if you want a HOSS fight just look at WAVE's tag league final:

058dcf75534d1977dbb88191528f2556.jpg

Another English-speaking WAVE follower? That makes a total of three of us! I haven't gotten to watching this yet, but it looks like it'll be amazing if the rest of the tournament is any indication. I was even impressed by the Yamashita/Kansai vs. Fairy/Ranamaru match.

Side note: Yamashita has been improving rapidly and has become one of my favorite wrestlers to watch this year.

I really liked that Sendai main. Satomura on offense was just terrific, and while I guess I wouldn't have minded a smidge more from Hashimoto, it pretty much worked for me overall. Satomura in big matches this year has been easily one of my favorites in the world this year, regardless of country or gender.

Finished the Sendai show just a bit ago. What was shown of the under card was decent enough. Would have been better to see it in full. The tag titles match was decent. Meiko/Hashimoto was pretty damn good. I really liked how it slowly built up to the two eventually going all out. Hashimoto was a damn beast the last five minutes. Those German suplexes were awesome and terrifying. I'm really curious to see what they do with Hashimoto's reign. If she can turn out performances like this more often I hope they actually give it some decent length.

• Like 1

My take-aways from the past couple of Sendai shows.

1. Shirahime Mika (i.e. Mika Iwata) is pretty damn good for a rookie.  I'm glad Meiko finally has a "kicker", I always found it a bit strange that it took almost 10 years to get a trainee with a kick-based offense.  I understand Mika's young and they are doing the prolonged losing-streak gimmick, but it must suck for her to job twice a show while Chihiro gets the title.  It's a bit frustrating to watch Mika lose to mediocre scrubs like JWP's Yako Fujigasaki.

2. Cassandra Miyagi is still more gimmick than worker, but she lives that freakin' gimmick!  It's like she took the best parts of the Eiger character and added in some Toshie Uematsu and some just random weirdness.  I heard her song (yes, she followed the long line of joshi turned singer) and it sucks, though.

3. Here's what I got out of the tag team tournament.

a. It's too bad Sendai Sachiko retired.  Jumonji Shimai >> Chisako + someone else.

b. It's too bad Kyoko Kimura is retiring.

c. It's too bad KAORU hasn't retired.  Not sure how I feel about DASH Chisako learning the tired old OZ Academy faux-hardcore style.  I think I'd rather seen Chisako team with Miyagi than with KAORU.

4. I like Chihiro's matwork and I see why she's the rookie that gets the super push (between the legit freestyle wrestling background and being built like a brick shithouse and looking like she'd break most joshi in half), but the end of the match with Meiko was pretty flawed and to me made the win seem more fluky than I think they intended. If they were putting the title on her, she should have gotten a win off of some decent veteran first (yes, she had a lot of "time limit draws" with people that I guess weren't willing to do a job).  

My guess is Chihiro will get in a few successful defenses (Miyagi, maybe Yoshiko) then get her ass kicked against a big name vet, probably Aja or maybe Nanae and then get to chase for a year or two before getting the title back.

From WON:

Both Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo have gotten offers to start in WWE in 2017 in the last week or two. Both told Stardom management about it this week. Shirai said she was going, and said that she was called by Shoichi Funaki. Hojo was contacted by Shinsuke Nakamura and Simon Inoki. Hojo at first didn’t make a final decision and there is some question if she can pass the physical because she’s had two major concussions in the last two years. In July, when WWE ran at Sumo Hall, Hojo was introduced to Nakamura through Simon Inoki, who knew her because they had worked together when Hojo did an IGF tour. Nakamura pushed to Hojo that she’d do great in WWE. Hojo most recently told the Stardom office that she’s interested in going to WWE. Stardom officials believe Shirai is gone for sure, but they are working to keep Hojo and Hojo then said she’s not sure what she’s going to do.

RIP in peace Stardom.

Stardom is scheduled for 12 Korakuen shows in 2017. It will be interesting to see how that plays out with their top draws leaving.

So if Kairi goes along with Io, they need to stop playing up this whole exclusivity BS they do and just work with the other promotions in their country instead of a bunch of crappy gaijin there for a cup of coffee

I mean, they should've done that a long time ago:rolleyes:, but still

I don't know Io personally of course, but she always appeared to be the type of wrestler that wanted the biggest stage and the biggest matches, so her going to WWE isn't surprising.

Kairi will be a bit more interesting, I can see Stardom offering her bigger contract (especially with Io leaving) to be the true ace, and her staying at least for another year. She always appears to be having so much fun both in the ring and in the other videos they post of them 'behind the scenes', and I could see her being convinced to stay in Stardom. Either way I'd still root for them and watch them wherever they went, hopefully they just hang around NXT since RAW is just a disaster.

Either way it doesn't mean the death of Stardom, that is silly, but they will probably need short term to at least bring in more popular native freelancers to fill in their cards. Every promotion loses wrestlers for some reason or another, losing the top two is particularly difficult but its not something that can't be overcome by a well structured promotion.

What is funny is that we talked about this a year ago or so, wondering if Kana and Io could get along in the same promotion or if any bad blood they had was gone a long time ago. The fact I may get Io vs. Kana at a big WWE event is pretty crazy.

6 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

I'm not the only one who saw this coming a mile away, right?

On the positive side, maybe I'll get to see Kairi at Mania weekend. 

It was rumored last month when 2ch noticed that Io started following Funaki and Triple H on Twitter. I thought it was just speculation anong the Japanese hardcore fans but it started to make sense when the WWE tryout with all of the indie women happened and the rumored start of the Women's Classic being in January/February. 

It will be interesting if they abort the Yoko Bito title win that looked like it was coming and put the belt on Kairi in December. 

Like Kevin said, it's not the end of Stardom but it definitely hurts the promotion. 

54 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This would be a good time for the Stardom Dude to pop in, I am sure he could provide some insight :)

I don't think Sonny or anybody else that runs the Stardom accounts on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, here) wants to look at a computer or phone right now. 

In their defense, it is just rumors right now so they wouldn't really make any announcements until it was official. They may try to (smartly) capitalize on it by having a big farewell show for Io, but until they reach that point I assume they won't address the rumors.

I am glad I am not on twitter if my text messages are any indication, its not the end of the world. They may need to push Kyouna faster than they planned but Bito magically re-appearing helps. Losing an Ace is never ideal but it shouldn't paralyze a promotion, especially if they get a bigger name Freelancer to come in for a year or so program like Satomura has done.

It won't kill Stardom if Io & Kairi leave, but it will hurt a lot even if Mayu & Bito step up a tremendous amount. Not really sure where people are getting these ideas that this means more native freelancers. The troubles of booking native freelancers have already been stated before.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It won't kill Stardom if Io & Kairi leave, but it will hurt a lot even if Mayu & Bito step up a tremendous amount. Not really sure where people are getting these ideas that this means more native freelancers. The troubles of booking native freelancers have already been stated before.

Troubles, yes, but troubles Stardom may be more willing to put up with if they need someone on top. I don't mean they should be infiltrated, but having someone come in for a long term program like Satomura did would keep up some interest while their younger wrestlers are built up. Promotions tend to be more flexible during tougher times, it wouldn't have to be a long term policy change.

I'd still put Kairi at 50/50 at best based off what Dave said and just general sense from watching the promotion, so I wouldn't assume she is leaving until it becomes more official.

I think if the situation with native freelancers was as simple as how Satomura was used we probably would have already seen more show up in Stardom.

I figure Kairi is 50/50 as well for the same reasons. I'm hoping she stays if only to get the ace position for a while.

I just can't imagine a big name freelancer jobbing to any of Rossy's girls... esp. with how things played out with Satomaru refusing to drop the belt to Hojo last year. None of them have the level of 'respect' that Io has.

Maybe Rossy can mend fences with Nanae and do a Seadlinnng angle.

I know some would be upset over Yoshiko returning to a Stardom ring, but desperate times, desperate measures, etc.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think if the situation with native freelancers was as simple as how Satomura was used we probably would have already seen more show up in Stardom.

I figure Kairi is 50/50 as well for the same reasons. I'm hoping she stays if only to get the ace position for a while.

Nothing with non-contracted employees is ever simple :) But effort and financial offerings can change if the situation changes, especially if Io is 'off the books' so to speak. Wrestlers tend to be more flexible when their wallets are thicker. I think if Kairi stays there will be no real changes to the promotion either way, I think they will just keep plugging along. Its only if both leave I think short-term they are going to need something 'new' so the promotion doesn't dip as we have seen promotions do in the past when they lost a few key wrestlers.

I was going to mention that a SEAdLINNNG invasion would do the trick, but I don't think the Joshi world is ready for that yet.