DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

That match isn't flashy but it's more about selling and storytelling, especially from Nakajima, are fantastic. It might not be for everyone, just like the 7/24 match vs. SEAdLINNNING, but everyone needs to check it out because JWP gets so little buzz.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Arisa Nakajima has been shedding belts like she is allergic to them so I hope there isn't a bigger story there since she is one of my favorites.

Well a certain promotion is having a high-profile tournament in a few months and someone who she use to be close with is already working there. Plus, it's easier to do a job if your not a champion of something. Just guessing though.

Konami is making her return with a company called GPS on 11/5 and her first opponent is going to be Kairi Hojo.

On 9/17/2015 at 2:27 PM, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Sakura Hirota looks like she's taking an indefinite hiatus from wrestling at the end of the year to try and start a family. She's having a special "final" show in December.

CPBuMHoVEAEHpHr.jpg

Not sure anybody remembers this but Hirota announced that she's pregnant.  And she's having twins.  They are due in March.

2 hours ago, .STAP said:

So Stardom isn't getting that December retirement draw.. I wonder what they'll have planned.

I figure that she'll have a 'farewell' show in each promotion she Freelances in regularly, similar to what Mio did last year before ending it with her own event using a variety of wrestlers from different promotions. My guess in Stardom is that it would a 'final' match with Oedo Tai since that has been her main association there lately.

3 hours ago, we.are.stardom said:

Mika Iwata of Sendai Girls is now Mika Shirahime (she-rah-he-may), which means White Princess.

That makes sense given she switched over to the all white outfit; here's hoping the new name leads to some bigger chances.  Speaking of Sendai, I can't wait till the 9/29 show pops up; those two tag matches look fun and Mika pulls double duty.

For a while, I didn't think that Meiko would lose to Hashimoto on the 10/16 show. Maybe I was in denial but after I saw the RIZIN show and these tweets, I've changed my thinking. 

RIZIN put over the Olympic Japanese Women's wrestling team over hard in the video packages and they seem to be the Olympic darlings in Japan similar to what the gymnastics team is in the US. Hashimoto being on college national team and doing that photoshoot with Eri Tosaka for Weekly Pro makes me realize it would be foolish not to put the title on Hashimoto. 

Even with all that, I still think it would be the biggest upset of the year in Joshi if Hashimoto beat Satomura so early in her career. Mostly because it is Satomura, if someone else had the belt I could see it but Satomura is the most respected/protected veteran currently in Joshi and I don't think she'll lose to a rookie (or near rookie). I figured that Hashimoto would put up a good fight and earn some kudos, then win in the re-match late next year or the year after. Hashimoto has no big singles wins and even lost to Miyagi as recently as August, while she has been pushed a bit more than the average rookie she still has match results like a rookie when facing people ranked over her.

I'm not saying its impossible, but the story Sendai Girls' has been telling this year hasn't given me any reason to believe Hashimoto is winning, not against Satomura anyway. Hashimoto is Sendai Girls' top rookie and if she stays in the promotion I do think Satomura will put her over, but I just think its too soon.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Even with all that, I still think it would be the biggest upset of the year in Joshi if Hashimoto beat Satomura so early in her career. Mostly because it is Satomura, if someone else had the belt I could see it but Satomura is the most respected/protected veteran currently in Joshi and I don't think she'll lose to a rookie (or near rookie). I figured that Hashimoto would put up a good fight and earn some kudos, then win in the re-match late next year or the year after. Hashimoto has no big singles wins and even lost to Miyagi as recently as August, while she has been pushed a bit more than the average rookie she still has match results like a rookie when facing people ranked over her.

I'm not saying its impossible, but the story Sendai Girls' has been telling this year hasn't given me any reason to believe Hashimoto is winning, not against Satomura anyway. Hashimoto is Sendai Girls' top rookie and if she stays in the promotion I do think Satomura will put her over, but I just think its too soon.

That was my thinking before but I had to think to myself about why are they doing this match now on what is supposed to be the biggest show of the year (we'll see when the number is announced). If they did this just to get a big attendance number and not to make a new star, then I feel it's a missed opportunity. 

38 minutes ago, JML said:

That was my thinking before but I had to think to myself about why are they doing this match now on what is supposed to be the biggest show of the year (we'll see when the number is announced). If they did this just to get a big attendance number and not to make a new star, then I feel it's a missed opportunity. 

Yea, I am just thinking in the general context of puroresu. I can't remember the 'trainee' beating the 'master' ever on their first try, big show or not. They can just do the rematch next year at the same big show, but with Hashimoto having a few key wins to build up to it (maybe beating Kong or something like that). I would actually see it as rushing the storyline if Hashimoto won as she hasn't been built up to beating her at all and it could have some backlash similar to Rikio beating Kobashi even though no one thought he was ready. Probably not on that level of course but with the same theory of the younger wrestler not being 'ready' yet to lead a promotion.

Considering how well the women's team did in the Olympics this year (4 gold medals out of 6 events plus a silver) and the fact that Saori Yoshida and Kaori Icho still maintain fairly high profiles in off-Olympic years, anyone not using their connection to the team would be a waste. But Hashimoto can be put over with a strong performance and still not win the belt so long as no one else goes over Satomura in the near future. Besides, the title itself is only about a year old so they'd be better off keeping it on Satomura to get more wins to build its prestige.

I am surprised that Hashimoto pinned Satomura so early, after them not building it up at all (in terms of her picking up even one singles win against a mid-tier wrestler or higher). My only thought is that Satomura knows she is a draw on her own and doesn't need the belt, but still seems too soon. Will be interesting to see if she suddenly is mowing over people or if its a short-ish reign.

On a side note I just found this for sale and really want it. Extremely hard to find items signed by all three, and its a DVD from I think their first show promoted together. But its also $85.

ApSPU1r.jpg

• Like 1

I just thought the Hashimoto title win opens up a lot of possibilities for outsiders to come in and challenge for the title. Miyagi is challenging next month but we could Aja, Nanae, Yoshiko and others come in for challenges. 

Also, the rumored WWE Women's Classic is also the elephant in the room as the Cruiseweight Classic set the precedent. I can see Meiko Satomura leaving to do WWE and not sign with them like Kota Ibushi did. 

25 minutes ago, JML said:

I just thought the Hashimoto title win opens up a lot of possibilities for outsiders to come in and challenge for the title. Miyagi is challenging next month but we could Aja, Nanae, Yoshiko and others come in for challenges. 

Also, the rumored WWE Women's Classic is also the elephant in the room as the Cruiseweight Classic set the precedent. I can see Meiko Satomura leaving to do WWE and not sign with them like Kota Ibushi did. 

I know that gets mentioned quite a bit, but I am not really sold on any events/results happening now being because of a possible WWE Women's Classic. First, as Kana showed, just because one is going to WWE doesn't mean the wrestler has to lose their belts on the way out. Many wrestlers have had planned retirements (Sachiko, Mio, Kyoko upcoming) or left and the belts were just vacated, it doesn't seem to be a priority most of the time. Second, unless wrestlers like Nakajima and Satomura have already signed to join WWE, it doesn't make any sense to be dropping titles this early since at best the tournament is still in the hypothetical stage.

I believe if the tournament takes place some Joshi wrestlers will certainly be going and some will likely get signed since NXT needs talented women wrestlers right now, I just doubt the owner of Sendai Girls' is dropping her title in October because she may wrestle in a tournament in six months since I don't think she'd need to drop her title for that. Unless talks are further along than has leaked anywhere, it would just seem to be too early to base results around something that still isn't set.