DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

On 6/15/2016 at 5:12 PM, Virtualpros said:

A question from left field I know, but can anyone confirm the identity of the Cookie Monster voiced man that's seemingly at every STARDOM event? Like is he a famous graps fan over there? He should be. 

If he has Twitter or something, I'd love to know because for me I crack up everytime I hear him yell "IOOOOO" or "MAYUUUU" in that insanely gravely voice. Seems to not like Kairi though....never cheers for her. 

Oh boy, I think I heard that guy during the 6-man tag from a week ago. 

"MAYU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Somehow he maintained a "Mayu" every 5 seconds pace for the entire match.  I'd love to be an uber-heel and just shut him up.

So a WAVE Network update, for the few that were interested in it. In one month, they have uploaded three full shows and one partial show (one classic show and three "recent" shows). Almost the entire 2015 Catch the WAVE tournament is posted also. They are still about a month behind in uploading new shows, and there seems to be little method to their madness. They have a page for a schedule of what will be uploaded, but nothing coming up is currently on it.

On the plus side, the WAVE tournament matches they uploaded from 6/2 were all really good. I still think the service has potential since WAVE doesn't make TV very often and it likely be the only way to see some of the matches, but it would be hard to really recommend for almost $8 a month at this stage.

I like Mizunami quite a bit, she has really come on in the last year. She is currently getting a big push in WAVE, her match against Chisako on 6/2 was borderline fantastic. Ohka is a seasoned vet that is a bit of a one-note but is all-around solid, I don't love her current style but since she has been wrestling so long she is good at match structure, timing, etc. and won't make mistakes.

• Like 1

What exactly did Meiko Tanaka do to get suspended? Improper actions as a minor. I can't tell if she did the bad minor things like drinking/smoking or is given slack and not fired for being a kid.

Yea that is why I am not signing back up til August, just on principle. I still had two weeks left on my sub, no reason to immediately yank off content. I mean I would have a legit reason to challenge the charge but naturally I am not doing that for $5, but it still isn't great customer service.

Well, they just uploaded the legendary Omega vs Haruka match.  I guess all those bouts against Yoshihiko served Omega well.

The 5 Star GP is slated for August and September, coincidentally ending when I'm in Japan.  It's got 6 gaijin and 6 natives so far with 2 more to be determined by the end of the month:

• Io Shirai
  • Kairi Hojo
  • Mayu Iwatani
  • Yoko Bito
  • Momo Watanabe
  • Jungle Kyona
  • Ivelisse
  • Tessa Blanchard
  • Toni Storm
  • Kay Lee Ray
  • Blue Nikita
  • Courtney Stewart

If you believe this poster, the last 2 will be Mimura and Wolf.

Spoiler

1ec25c707f05970f60d04a0f240b92be.jpg

• Like 1

That scares me since I don't really trust Stardom's talent evaluator when it comes to foreigners (I love Kay Lee Ray of course). But they don't have enough of their own contracted talent to fill a tournament and for whatever reason prefer flying in freelancers then using ones in Japan. So it is what is it, just hope for the best.

I'm in the same boat, I've only seen Kay Lee Ray (well and Ivelisse but only in heavily edited LU). Just after some of the ones they had in this year I am trending more towards being pessimistic than optimistic, they seem to really like having a lot of foreign wrestlers and I am not sure why. Maybe they think it makes them look more big league but it can't be cheap, promotions bigger than Stardom years ago stopped using as many foreigners as the cost of flying them in didn't really lead to any additional profits.

Courtney is pretty green, not without potential but still at the stage of needing to be carried. Fine in short matches and her arse is usually on show so maybe that'll get her over, I dunno.

Did Viper end up having any good matches in Stardom? I saw a couple of matches where she looked pretty disappointing considering how much better she seemed to have become before heading to Japan.

Viper got mixed reviews, she is clearly trained/competent but she works soft which is pretty noticeable at a place like Stardom where people hit hard. I wouldn't say she was bad, just not as good as I think people were hoping.

I liked Viper. I thought her title matches were good. She definitely hits soft in comparison to the top women in Stardom, but it never really took me out of her matches. I'm disappointed she isn't one of the gaijin being brought in for the 5*GP. I've heard good things about Toni Storm & Ivelisse, but who knows how much that will actually transfer over style wise. I thought Santana Garrett looked mediocre in Stardom while just catching her short NXT matches made her look pretty damn good.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Just after some of the ones they had in this year I am trending more towards being pessimistic than optimistic, they seem to really like having a lot of foreign wrestlers and I am not sure why. 

I think it's part of their strategy to sell Stardom World subscriptions. It's misguided cause most foreigners that signup know the Stardom girls better than the 'local' indy ones. When asked about the U.S. tour, Io said they were shocked at how many of the fans knew who they were so they probably don't know how well-known they are outside of Japan.

Toni Storm is going to get a lot of buzz coming out of this. She looked really good in her SWA title match with Io. Plus, she has a very WWE-friendly look which is going to get her noticed quicker than others.

They have in all of the actual contracted natives they should probably have in. Its just the lack of them using regulars like Kagetsu, Kimura, & Hiroyo that feels off. I would have liked to have seen Saori Anno in personally.