DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

After becoming a fan of some of the idol groups in japan, I think it's pretty fair to say they are cutting into a lot of the joshi audience. The idol groups are so hot there now as a whole and I think for a lot of people, they get their fill through the idols instead of the joshi's, especially when you can meet just about any of them that you want.

Definitely. And even the smallest idol groups have devoted fans who are spending money on them that might otherwise go towards something like joshi And at this point, the only thing that outnumbers the number of idol groups (almost every prefecture has one) is the number of mascot characters.

The High Speed belt is a carry over belt from NEO. It was basically made for Natsuki. I have no problem with its existence as it was rarely defended, and when they did start doing things with it they were in a solid place before things went to hell last year. I think the trios titles pushed things a bit too far more than anything else. With the white belt on Santana it doesn't really feel like they have more than two singles titles.

I know the history of the belt but its still a currently defended title in the promotion. Io Shirai has had 30 title matches in the last 13 months and has three separate titles, its just a bit excessive to me. They only have maybe six regular roster members that are high enough ranked to hold a title so they just get stacked up anyway.

The Watanabe/Iwatani High Speed Title match they put up today is pretty good.

Very impressed by Watanabe in this one. If you'd told me even a month ago that she was capable of a match like that I wouldn't have believed you, but she's really come through since being let off the leash. She doesn't have much in the way of high spots yet, but she hit everything she tried cleanly and was really hitting Mayu hard on some of those moves.

Even Azumi looked pretty decent, and I must admit to having regularly skipped her matches for a long while. The depth is much improved with the latest batch of rookies skipping the "rookie match" stage, and the youngsters who were there having moved up, so even with only a few foreigners the cards are good. Hopefully we don't get another rash of retirements anytime soon as the future is looking bright.

I thought Momo's strikes were weak sans one particular kick, but she still looked decent overall. its definitely her best performance though honestly I think she probably could have done something like this six months to a year ago if given the chance.

1. Well it was Yoshiko for a hot minute (for the wrong reasons mind you), otherwise its Ozaki

2. I don't think we'll ever have a Dump level heel again because the audience is completely different than what it was in the 80s. Dump was a true crazy heel to the point of being part of the popular culture of the time. No one since had her level of heel charisma. Even Aja and Bull, despite giving off the monster vibe, were the crazy ass evil that Dump was. The closest that came to that was Lioness Asuke during the SSU era of GAEA and ot lesser extent Miki Handa's bizarro heel turn in LLPW

James

It is funny you worded it like that, as I think if Yoshiko had come back with an attitude she could have still been the biggest heel, but they went the 'redemption' route. Which I am not saying is wrong, but that would have been a way to make her a top level heel. She would have had the best chance to be the Dump level of heel (which I agree is impossible, she was a 'once in a lifetime' type talent + situation combination) if she had come back and was mauling rookies.

I personally saw two great heel reactions.  One was a tag match between Hirota/Asuka and Oz/KAORU.  For some reason Hirota came sprinting out and got beat down.  Asuka came out but was handcuffed to the ropes.  KAORU went to grab Asuka's table, but a fan cut her off and stopped her from getting the table.  The other was when Amazing Kong beat the shit outta Hamada in a WWWA title match, the clincher was throwing a chair in the ring after the match and it bounced up and hit Hamada in the head.  I was downstairs long after the show waiting for Kong and there were a group of fans down there.  I couldn't quite make out what they were saying but they kept saying Kong and the way they were bouncing around I knew something was up.  I had to call Kong and tell her to go out the back door.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:50 PM, Norwegian Rudo said:

The Watanabe/Iwatani High Speed Title match they put up today is pretty good.

Very impressed by Watanabe in this one. If you'd told me even a month ago that she was capable of a match like that I wouldn't have believed you, but she's really come through since being let off the leash. She doesn't have much in the way of high spots yet, but she hit everything she tried cleanly and was really hitting Mayu hard on some of those moves.

Even Azumi looked pretty decent, and I must admit to having regularly skipped her matches for a long while. The depth is much improved with the latest batch of rookies skipping the "rookie match" stage, and the youngsters who were there having moved up, so even with only a few foreigners the cards are good. Hopefully we don't get another rash of retirements anytime soon as the future is looking bright.

I give them a wide berth. I mean Azumi is 13, Starlight Kid is 15 and Watanabe just turned 16 so I'm not gonna hate on them yet.  I'm actually impressed by how much mic time Azumi gets, even though I know being the leader of the Azumi Army was meant as a joke.

1 hour ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

They put up the Hojo/Satomura vs Io/Iwatani match.  Nothing legendary, I think it was hurt by the ringside camera only.  Some stuff was going on with missed tags that it didn't catch.

Hopefully this was only a one-cam because of the TV production, not because they stopped doing a hard-cam.

Iwatani looked to be hurt from the one dive, otherwise good but not great. Probably the best part was Matsumoto shit-stirring afterwards. It's about time we get some real heated feuds, it's been all too civilized lately.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

So what is her actual name? Also just how many female wrestlers is WRESTLE-1 training?

The person she's wrestling is a Reika Saiki (the one in the middle below)  She's done some amateur kickboxing and fitness competitions.  I'm not sure if there were any previous to the 3 in this class or not.

CQPws3HVEAQUrIh.jpg