DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Apparently things got heated during the recent Team Thunder Rock (Io Shirai & Mayu Iwatani) v. Jungle Pirates (Kairi Hojo & Jungle Kyouna) match, with Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai really laying into each other, Io wasn't afraid to show the damage off.

12628505_1008529419217938_13745124585889

Also Shirai, Iwatani and Hojo agreed to team together to challenge for the Artist of Stardom Six Woman titles held by team Hyper Destroyers (Hiroyo Matsumoto, Kellie Skater & Evie). That match is set for Osaka next month. Apparently Kairi Hojo's voice was so hoarse that during the challenge Io jokingly started calling Kairi "Tenryu-san"

James

I haven't posted here in a few years, but I wanted to chime in with names of some current (and just retired) tag teams and factions:

Jungle Pirates--Kairi Hojo/Jungle Kyouna (STARDOM--Hojo is one of their current main three and Kyouna is probably their best rookie)

Thunder Rock--Io Shirai/Mayu Iwatani (STARDOM--the other two main members)

Hyper-Destroyers--Hiroyo Matsumoto/Kellie Skater/Evie (STARDOM--trios champs with free-lancing Hiroyo teaming with gaijin; Skater used to team with Tomoka Nakagawa in 3G (Global Green Gangsters) before Nakagawa retired)

Jumonji Shimai--DASH Chisako/Sendai Sachiko (real life sisters from Sendai Girls; Sachiko just retired; I've also heard Sendai's three rookies called the Three Musketeers, although it appears Cassandra Miyagi's new heel gimmick is that of a crazy weirdo loner, not really lending itself to tag teams; I could see them teaming Mika Iwata & Chihiro Hashimoto as pretty girl/power girl team)

Best Friends--Arisa Nakajima/Tsukasa Fujimoto (current JWP champs, with Nakajima as JWP's ace and Fujimoto as Ice Ribbon's ace)

Avid Rivals--Misaki Ohata/Ryo Mizunami  (both in WAVE, another pretty girl/power girl team)

Las Aventureras--Ayako Hamada/Yu Yamagata (WAVE veterans, both were rookies together back in the ARSION days)

Wild Snufkin--Command Bolshoi/Kyoko Kimura (occasional team with JWP's veteran and freelancing Kyoko)

Mission K4--Sonoko Kato/AKINO/Kagetsu/Kaho Kobayashi (babyface faction in Oz Academy, the first two are long-time vets that often tag together, although Sonoko is the singles champ right now; the latter two are youngsters that also often tag together)

Ozaki-gun--Mayumi Ozaki/Yumi Ohka/Arisa Nakajima w/Mio Shirai, Mika Nishio, Police (Ozaki's heel faction, Nakajima was just brought in to replace the now-retired Mio, although it appears Mio will be used as a heel referee)

• Like 2

Welcome back. Myself and James are trying to stimulate the Joshi conversation on here again so you're welcome to stay. :)

I haven't followed Joshi at all for six or seven years now, but I'm game to get back into it.  Who are some of the wrestlers I should be watching matches of?

Welcome back. Myself and James are trying to stimulate the Joshi conversation on here again so you're welcome to stay. :)

I haven't followed Joshi at all for six or seven years now, but I'm game to get back into it.  Who are some of the wrestlers I should be watching matches of?

In no specific order, my favorite current wrestlers are Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo, Hikaru Shida, Mayu Iwatani, and Meiko Satomura. Honorable mention for Syuri but she just joined Pancrase so her wrestling bookings will decrease.

I have a list of my recommended matches from 2015 here with Dailymotion links, not that my opinion is the end-all be-all but those were my favorite matches from last year.

For some reason I just can't get back into it. Too many new faces and the only promotion I loved to watch struggle was Zenjo. STARDOM has qualities I can get behind but the girls retire as soon as they debut these days.

I wouldn't go that far, I mean Stardom only had one meaningful retirement last year, and Act didn't really have a choice. None of the wrestlers that debuted the last two years have retired except Koguma and Reo Hazuki, but both were still mid-carders and may return somewhere some day since they are still young (who knows). But the stars of the promotion have been around for awhile, the upper midcard to main event wrestlers have been steady. I liked Koguma a lot and was sad to see her go, but I wouldn't call her departure a big emotional hit. Either way I guess I don't see three "retirements" as a big exodus.

The other wrestlers that left (Takahashi, Iroha, and Yoshiko) are still wrestling somewhere or will be wrestling somewhere soon anyway.

I'm happy for her but disappointed she is retiring.

Don't worry, you might have a brand new Kimura to watch soon.

What do you mean by this?

Her daughter is training at the WRESTLE-1 training school;

HANA, as she may or may not be called, has her graduation test in 2 months. She is hoping to have her debut before her mother retires.

I've noticed that many online joshi fans seem to be kind of dismissive towards OZ Academy.  I have to say, although I recognize Stardom as the superior promotion in-ring, I'm actually way more invested in the angle between Mission K4 and the veterans than just about anything else going on in wrestling.  It's got that car-crash appeal reminiscent of ECW, even if it often becomes annoying to see Police interfere and subsequently oversell (for no apparent reason) in all of Ozaki's matches.

Oz gets really old. Not only is it the same workers we've been seeing for years but the constant interference is never ending and really just takes away from the match. It really destroys the believability as well. I've questioned before why some of the faces just don't bring a gun to the ring since everything is legal.

I am not anti-OZ, but I agree with the zombie man. I got tired of lots of interference in matches back in the late 90s and its just not something I enjoy in wrestling anymore. Hell even the 1985 AJW Crush Gal matches I liked less than I should have (still loved) due to all the interference, I just want to see wrestlers vs. wrestlers. Not that I mind cheating of course, I just don't want the cheating to be constant interference which kills the flow and enjoyment of the match. So while I do watch OZ as I like Kato a lot, I like Stardom and WAVE better as promotions (between the promotions that air with the most frequency).