DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Tighter lid but they wrestle in other promotions sometimes. Io wrestled Mio last february on Mio's produced show, Io and Iwatani wrestled in Sendai Girls last summer (maybe as part of the deal with Satomura winning the title). But they are definitely the most isolated of the promotions. I really don't have a problem with that, it makes it more special when they do a cross-promoted match and keeps match-ups fresh. I still remember the 'old days' when it was a big deal when promotions worked together, now every show has wrestlers from multiple promotions.

• Like 1

I'm also a fan of Stardom taking the "AJW Approach" to interpromotional matches. Its what is smart for business and building up matches we'd want to see.

Has the Kairi Hojo/Hudson Envy match from thr Grand Prix Final hit th enet yet?

I was really impressed with Hudson Envy in that match with Io and was bummed to hear she didn't win the whole tourney. 

James

I think my biggest fear with Kairi Hojo was that she was going to be Haruka Matsuo 2.0 but she is so not that level of mediocre. In fact she is not mediocre at all and I enjoy her matches a lot. STARDOM has been good at capturing that ZENJO Spirit.  I'm one of those who never liked Nanae so her no longer beign there has been a plus in my eyes.

Now if we can just figure out what is going with Act and get her the Red Belt she deserves!

James 

Haruka was a student of Fuka's who went from shoot boxing to doing matches for Stardom. They have a pair of kids under the banner of "Kids Fighters" right now. They didn't start at nine years old though. The girl in question is on break now. Not sure if she'll ever come back but she'd be about the same age as the other two if she did. Stardom has a 15 year old on their roster now. She's a third year junior high student (Japan goes 6-3-3) so I wonder if she'll go on to high school (compulsory education is until end of junior high although well over 90 percent of the population go on to high school) which will cut into her time.

Ice Ribbon had their own bunch of kid wrestlers too.

• 2 weeks later...

i got news from here, they announced former JWP Junior Championship (before unified with POP Champion) Erika Watanabe diagnosed had stomach Cancer stage 3B and liver. for those who didn't know her, she competed in JWP in the end of 90's and mid of 2000. and the JWP event at JWP Dojo

on November, 8 merch and ticket sells will be donated for her treatment. get well soon!

https://m.facebook.com/JapanesePuroresuIchiban/photos/a.649601758467354.1073741828.649570988470431/910162545744606/?type=3&source=46

• 4 weeks later...

Photos from the 11/23 Sendai Girls and Stardom shows in Hakata. Sendai Girls first. Spoilered for size.

If you know who they are, this was, perhaps inevitable.

JoshiProHakata201533.jpg

KAORU is all smiles.

JoshiProHakata201537.jpg

Indy hug as it was Sendai Sachiko's last match in Hakata. She retires in January.

JoshiProHakata201558.jpg

Return of the hometown girl, Mika Iwata.

JoshiProHakata201560.jpg

Aja Kong hit her partner, Chihiro Hashimoto, with Aja's trademark can before braining Meiko Satomura and getting the win.

JoshiProHakata201574.jpg

At least the Sendai Girls roster is filling up a little. Even with Sachiko leaving, they have three younger wrestlers (Iwata, Hashimoto and Miyagi). Looks like they'll be pushing Hashimoto hard because of her amateur background. She already has a more legit offense than Iwata and Miyagi. During their match Iwata kept delivering drop kicks to Aja who started on her knees and ended the sequence brushing off the drop kicks. Miyagi jobbed to Kyoko Kimura in a rematch from Miyagi's debut in Hakata last year. Didn't really seem like she's developed all that much as her offense was really basic still and it looks like Hashimoto and Iwata are going to overshadow her quickly. Don't know how any group that uses her is going to fill up the ten to fifteen minutes Sakura Hirota eats up every show.

On to the Stardom show.

Net fave Act Yasukawa:

JoshiProHakata201583.jpg

JoshiProHakata2015100.jpg

Sup Kris Wolf and Kyoko Kimura.

JoshiProHakata2015106.jpg

JoshiProHakata2015137.jpg

You think you like Kairi Hojo? Not as much as this guy.

JoshiProHakata2015155.jpg

Mayu Iwatani spinning in streamers is my favorite thing right now. Also makes them slightly easier to clean up.

JoshiProHakata2015170%20-%20Copy.jpg

Heroine to many.

JoshiProHakata2015201%20-%20Copy.jpg

Hmmm...

JoshiProHakata2015227%20-%20Copy.jpg

Oh hey.

JoshiProHakata2015275%20-%20Copy.jpg

More here.

Act mauled poor tiny tiny Hiromi Mimura. Kris Wolf has found a thing (ummm...being a wolf, I think) that gets more people behind her but she's in what is basically a heel group. Other areas get Mayu Iwatani taking on Meiko Satomura. I get Mayu versus Kaori Yoneyama. The crowd was surprised and disappointed that Santana won. Not her fault but she won with a rolling cradle, not exactly how anyone would think Io would lose. Everyone was really nice to talk to in the lines. Kris Wolf remembered me from the last Hakata show. Mayu Iwatani and Kairi Hojo are both from Yamaguchi prefecture, where I currently live so it's a nice talking point. There were other people from Yamaguchi there (I think those two young girls in that Io picture) whom everyone remembered (probably from Kairi's special homecoming show earlier this year). It took a while to get to the three most popular wrestlers (Io, Kairi and Mayu in that order). I want to knock Ogawa's hat off.

• Like 1