DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Io left Triple Tails because she got offered a full-time job with STARDOM and, surely related, is their current champion.

On a personal level, when Io got arrested, Mio said she had almost no contact with her sister at that point. Before that but after the split they did have a tag team match against each other at Union:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo3fko

Io left Triple Tails because she got offered a full-time job with STARDOM and, surely related, is their current champion.

On a personal level, when Io got arrested, Mio said she had almost no contact with her sister at that point. Before that but after the split they did have a tag team match against each other at Union:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo3fko

Here's Mio Shirai's blog entry regarding Io's arrest:

http://ameblo.jp/shirai-s/archive1-201205.html

Google Translate wasn't a whole lot of help, but from what I can parse, it seems like she regrets her estrangement from Io. I sure hope they can reconcile.

I haven't kept up with joshi (or Japanese wrestling in general) for 3-5 years, but Kana has me intrigued.  I've seen her before, but she seems to have a new attitude/gimmick.  Can someone bring me up to speed?  What's with the face paint? I'm guessing she's working a heel outsider gimmick of some sort?

Those 2 have bee nthrough some stuff together. From the whole controversy over hem and the owner of MAKEHEN to Triple Tails. I'm glad Io is coming into her own, I remember how there was a hardcore group of us on JoshiFans that thought she was the next big thing in Joshi. I'll always love the SPTS as a team, 2 young kids who weren't afraid to work heel.

James

I haven't kept up with joshi (or Japanese wrestling in general) for 3-5 years, but Kana has me intrigued.  I've seen her before, but she seems to have a new attitude/gimmick.  Can someone bring me up to speed?  What's with the face paint? I'm guessing she's working a heel outsider gimmick of some sort?

There's no big story behind the face paint. She just thinks it looks cool. She is a heel outsider in JWP, but she works for several different promotions and does different things in each, depending. A good place to read up on her is our interviews with her: http://www.dirtydirtysheets.com/2011/04/26/kana-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview/

http://www.dirtydirtysheets.com/2011/09/30/kana-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview-ii/

Her CHIKARA blog: http://chikaraspecial.tumblr.com/post/10519173993/kana-blog-9-22-2011

Some Matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wURiwUCu4g

All a little outdated, but a good start.

• 3 weeks later...

So for you who are more up on the current Joshi scene, what's your impressions of how those stars have been and are being used in Shimmer? The Joshi talent has become a big part of the roster now with a few of them having held tag team gold. Who knows if one day someone like Kana could be Shimmer champion or not.

Well, SHIMMER is certainly presenting Kana as a top star. Her matches have been at or near the top of the card each time she's done shows for them, IIRC. I could see her holding the championship for a short stint, or even winning the tag titles with LuFisto. Tomoka Nakagawa and Kellie Skater as tag champs has been fun, and it really seems that Skater's stepped up her game. Ayako Hamada, I feel, is there to have good-to-great matches with the other top of the card talent, kind of like a Chris Benoit in that respect.

All in all, I'd say the Joshi stars that come to SHIMMER are being booked to their strengths. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in next that hasn't been there before.

Yeah, what little I've seen of Shida, I've liked. Wonder who they'll put her up against.

And @James: I would've said Io as well, as I actually like her better than Mio, but with her holding STARDOM's top belt, I don't think she's really available. Plus, after what happened last year, I wouldn't be surprised if she were a little gunshy about leaving the country again.

EDIT: I just thought of another one; I think the Sendai Sisters might be fun to see stateside. Plus, in that instance, I'd be willing to bet that Meiko Satomura would want to come along to play chaperon, so bonus!

Satomura & gang actually did make a couple of US appearances in CHIKARA in 2012.  Over the Anniversario weekend, they did Meiko/Kagetsu vs Chisako/Sachiko and then Kagetsu vs Saturyne (not much of a match), Chisako/Sachiko vs Bravado Brothers (hilarious), and Meiko vs Sara Del Ray.  Then for King of Trios, Meiko/Chisako/Sachiko had 3 matches, including a great trios with the Young Bucks/Mike Bennett with Maria ringside (Maria knew enough not to screw around with Satomura). 

Satomura & gang actually did make a couple of US appearances in CHIKARA in 2012.  Over the Anniversario weekend, they did Meiko/Kagetsu vs Chisako/Sachiko and then Kagetsu vs Saturyne (not much of a match), Chisako/Sachiko vs Bravado Brothers (hilarious), and Meiko vs Sara Del Ray.  Then for King of Trios, Meiko/Chisako/Sachiko had 3 matches, including a great trios with the Young Bucks/Mike Bennett with Maria ringside (Maria knew enough not to screw around with Satomura). 

I saw that Trios match, which is why I think the sisters would be great in SHIMMER.

So Kana was successful in her first JWP Openweight Championship defense, against Manami Katsu. Not a big shocker, as this has the feel of a long-term angle, and even if it weren't, Kana isn't going to win JWP's top title, only to drop it in her first defense, especially to an, albeit skilled, 18-year old girl who's only been in the business for 2 years. 

In other news, Syuri now has 2 titles, having defeated Serena Deeb to win her second WNC Divas Title, she also defeated Zeuxis to win Reina's world title. 

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to see Ayako Hamada vs. KANA from SHIMMER 50 yesterday. Aside from the G1, there have been very few matches recently I've immediately wanted to rewatch after watching them. This, I wanted to rewatch ten times after watching it.It never fails to shock me when I see what high level Joshi wrestlers are able to do when they turn it on. Ayako and KANA had their A games here. They were laying it in, with crispness and perfect timing right from the opening bell. They sell the effects of the match as it gets into it's latter stages to the point where you know it's gonna be a last woman standing type deal. My favourite moment of the match was Ayako's leglock counter to a KANA high kick which when I saw it again in the post match replays, I was just in awe. One of the coolest spots I think I've ever seen. So so perfect.Go out of your way to see this match. I'm sure people have pimped it before and I'm late to the party but I had to share!

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to see Ayako Hamada vs. KANA from SHIMMER 50 yesterday. Aside from the G1, there have been very few matches recently I've immediately wanted to rewatch after watching them. This, I wanted to rewatch ten times after watching it.It never fails to shock me when I see what high level Joshi wrestlers are able to do when they turn it on. Ayako and KANA had their A games here. They were laying it in, with crispness and perfect timing right from the opening bell. They sell the effects of the match as it gets into it's latter stages to the point where you know it's gonna be a last woman standing type deal. My favourite moment of the match was Ayako's leglock counter to a KANA high kick which when I saw it again in the post match replays, I was just in awe. One of the coolest spots I think I've ever seen. So so perfect.Go out of your way to see this match. I'm sure people have pimped it before and I'm late to the party but I had to share!

Haven't seen SHIMMER 50 but always wanted to see that match, glad to hear it lives up to the hype and delivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of SHIMMER, they've been announcing who's going to be in the next set of tapings in a slow trickle, but I think they've been mostly announced now. Obviously Tomoka Nakagawa will be there, as she's 1/2 of the Tag Team Champions. The other girls from Japan that are participating are Kana, Ayako Hamada, Hiroyo Matsumoto, and in her first trip to the U.S., Hikaru Shida.

I haven't been able to find any announced matches, but it sounds like it's going to be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a JOSHI fix. But I don't feel like watching anything from the 90s to be honest.

1. I have heard a lot about SHIMMER. So they are essentially like ROH, you have to buy DVDs to see their work. Damn. 

2. PWI just named Cheerleader Melissa as their #1 female wrestler in the world.  Can anyone tell me about her? Any matches you recommend?

2. KANA. Damn she is cute. But I won't marginalize her ability. She looks like she can go. Thanks for the links earlier on. Watching her vs. Policewoman now LOL Policewoman is a funny gimmick

2. KANA. Damn she is cute. But I won't marginalize her ability. She looks like she can go. Thanks for the links earlier on. Watching her vs. Policewoman now LOL Policewoman is a funny gimmick

Yeah, Policewoman is fun as hell. Didn't it start out being Sakura Hirota, but then somebody else took up the gimmick (I want to say Yuki Miyazaki?)? Kana has a reputation for working stiff. She seems to have backed off it somewhat, except when she's working heel, like she is in JWP.

On that note, Kana made her second JWP title defense last week, beating Hanako Nakamori. Post-match, though, things got a bit...interesting...

While continuing to badmouth JWP and its wrestlers, Kana also entered a storyline, where she began professing her love for Arisa Nakajima, much to the bewilderment of the former champion.

Now, this is from Kana's Wikipedia page, so take it with however many grains of salt you need. Assuming that's what really happened though, well that just came out of left field. Totally did not see the storyline advancing in that way. I hope it actually leads to something and it isn't just Kana playing mind games with Nakajima and JWP in general. Oh, and Kana apparently brought the JWP belt with her to the US for the SHIMMER tapings this past weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Policewoman is fun as hell. Didn't it start out being Sakura Hirota, but then somebody else took up the gimmick (I want to say Yuki Miyazaki?)? Kana has a reputation for working stiff. She seems to have backed off it somewhat, except when she's working heel, like she is in JWP.

On that note, Kana made her second JWP title defense last week, beating Hanako Nakamori. Post-match, though, things got a bit...interesting...

While continuing to badmouth JWP and its wrestlers, Kana also entered a storyline, where she began professing her love for Arisa Nakajima, much to the bewilderment of the former champion.

Now, this is from Kana's Wikipedia page, so take it with however many grains of salt you need. Assuming that's what really happened though, well that just came out of left field. Totally did not see the storyline advancing in that way. I hope it actually leads to something and it isn't just Kana playing mind games with Nakajima and JWP in general. Oh, and Kana apparently brought the JWP belt with her to the US for the SHIMMER tapings this past weekend.

I was there, that's what happened (she also hilariously kept calling Arisa her guinea pig). She also tried to give her a Christmas card, and Arisa was a total Grinch about it.

Worth noting Kana and Arisa are friends. She came into JWP initially to team with her, but we know where that ended up....

• 1 month later...

So I was watching some joshi on YouTube earlier today, and I came across a few old matches of Kanako Motoya, who later became known as Kana Mizaki for some reason. And I wanted to ask some of the other joshi fans here who might know better than I: Why was her career so short? I mean it was what 5, 6 years, tops? I thought she was pretty good, myself. So, was it injuries, personal life (I seem to recall Hiromi Yagi retiring after she got married), or something else or what?

So Meiko Satomura won this year's Tokyo Sports award for the joshi.  I'm a Meiko mark and I'm not bummed, although it seems more like a lifetime achievement award than based on this year.  I would have voted for Kana, but I think she doesn't have many friends on the Tokyo Sports voting panel, with Io Shirai and Arisa Nakajima being other worthy candidates who were ignored.

The vote totals were: Satomura 12, Saki Akai 5, Kyoko Kimura 2, GAMI & Lin Byron 1 each.  First of all, voting for GAMI is like that one writer that'll vote Richie Sexson for the baseball HOF because they went out drinking once and Richie was cool and picked up the tab.  Who is Saki Akai?  I'm a joshi creep and I don't know her.  Apparently she's some TV actress/idol type who's the daughter of an ex-boxer that has had a grand total of TWO matches in her career, the debut being hidden in a throwaway six-person tag at DDT's Sumo Hall show.   Yeah, those are some strong credentials.  The match is up on Youtube, so I guess I better watch it and make a report in DEAN's thread.

Both Yoshiko and Yuhi received votes for Rookie of the Year which was won by DDT's Konoksuke Takeshita. I was going to mock this since neither debuted this year, but apparently anyone within 3 years of their debut is eligible for this award.

In regards to Kyle's question about Kanako Motoya/Kana Mizaki, her Japanese wikipedia page indicates she retired due to knee injuries in 2001 after a six-year career.  IIRC, that was also the point in time where JWP virtually went out of business and was basically dormant for a few years.

• Like 2