DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Also, it appears that Act Yasukawa is in the hospital. I had trouble sussing out the details (Google Translate was no help), but she posted pics of her in the hospital on her Facebook page and on her blog, so yeah.

So, that kind of sucks. :/

That does suck, she is my new hero.  She seems to be channeling some classic Southern heels.

Just saw another match with Io Shirai (sadly very clipped) and I think that I love her.  Since I had never watched Joshi before it is odd for me (a wrestling fan of 25 years) to suddenly be 'discovering' new wrestlers that have probably been entertaining for years but I just knew nothing about.  What don't you Joshi people do a better job at pimping this stuff?  You're all fired.  :P

Guest Edwin

What are the best sources to watch current Joshi online? Any specific YouTube or Daily Motion channels I need to follow or anything?

Just saw another match with Io Shirai (sadly very clipped) and I think that I love her. Since I had never watched Joshi before it is odd for me (a wrestling fan of 25 years) to suddenly be 'discovering' new wrestlers that have probably been entertaining for years but I just knew nothing about. What don't you Joshi people do a better job at pimping this stuff? You're all fired. :P

Hey, I've been doing my absolute darndest to get more people to check out Joshi, they just never seemed interested...

What are the best sources to watch current Joshi online? Any specific YouTube or Daily Motion channels I need to follow or anything?

YouTube is your best bet. Channels like JoshiHub, Joshi Shows and purowookie upload a lot of the new stuff as well as classics. And there are plenty of other channels that have the essential Joshi matches.

anyone know if the first match on this comp Chigusa's first match?
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=12069&osCsid=8d08f49d8f59aca631005a08fe5d4fba

I couldn't find out online. Asuka's debut is listed on her wikipedia but didn't see Chigusa's listed. I just wacthed it and it's a pretty brutal squash, which makes me think it might be her first match. since there otherwise isn't really a reason to put such a match on a 'best of'

anyone know if the first match on this comp Chigusa's first match?

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=12069&osCsid=8d08f49d8f59aca631005a08fe5d4fba

I couldn't find out online. Asuka's debut is listed on her wikipedia but didn't see Chigusa's listed. I just wacthed it and it's a pretty brutal squash, which makes me think it might be her first match. since there otherwise isn't really a reason to put such a match on a 'best of'

From what I could find online her debut was against Yukari Omori, another rookie at the time.  AJW results from that long ago are hard to find though, to put it mildly. 

• Like 1

Thanks. So I wonder if the second match on that comp is her debut and the first one is from later on. Doesn't really matter. just curious.

Anyway, I've just been getting into Joshi the last few weeks (since watching the GAEA Girls documentary). I've basically been watching the classic matches from the 80s and 90s on youtube. Earlier in the thread (I just skimmed through the whole thing) some people were saying the 80s matches hold up better than the 90s stuff. I'd have to agree. I think the 80s matches just feel more intense to me. I'm surprised that it seems like most fans prefer the 90s. Like, a lot of the stars from the 90s have really good CAWs available for WWE 2K14 but I couldn't find any for Dump or Crush Gals.

Two questions:

1) I'd like to watch more awesome 80s Joshi but don't really know what to grab. I got vol. 1 of that Chigusa 'best of' and quickly realized that comp series (which spans 10 discs) is probably too comprehensive for my tastes. I'd probably love it if it were, say, 3 or 4 discs. And then I've seen some 'Best of 80s AJW' type comps that are only one disc so they leave out a lot of great stuff. Is there anywhere I can get something that's between these two options? Like a 'Best of 80s Joshi' series that's a couple of discs? or am I better of just sticking to what's on youtube?

2) In the 80s, why was there a policy that workers had to retire when they reached 26? I assume this cost the company a ton of money when popular workers were forced to retire.

Guest Edwin

I was the one who made the comment about the 80's stuff holding up better than the 90's stuff.

I'm not sure there's a specific comp. that will fulfill you wants. I would recommend you check out sporadic AJW Classics match listing and pick and choose what you're interested in.

If not, then I just recommend you dig all over YouTube. Most of the highly regarded matches from the 80's are all up on there. Aside from that, I just highly recommend you dig up any matches you can find featuring any type of pairing from the big names from that period being Dump, Bull and Crane Yu, the Crush Gals, the Jumping Bomb Angels, Jaguar Yokota and Devil Masami. Whether it's singles, tags or multi women tags, there's a good chance they might be good.

The YouTube channels NikkySan mentioned are really good. There's also a channel that I subscribe to, called DoubleMiz, that has a good mix of the older and more recent stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Found out that Tomoka Nakagawa plans on retiring in December. So that's a thing that happened.

Kinda bummed about it. Tomoka's probably one of my top 10 favorite joshi wrestlers right now, and I think she's one of the best tag team wrestlers of the past 10-15 years. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just the usual meet and greet while buying merchandise. I bought a signed fan from Aja Kong and some signed glossies but even though I went to the 2nd show at Star Lane that night (a Big Japan show with Tatsumi Fujinami) I had to be somewhere between shows.

Fun experience though. In the main event, Ozaki and Kansai went brawling through almost all sides of the crowd before their match even started.

Nice! Did you meet any of them after the show?

Kato, Carlos, Nagashima, Toyota, Ohka, and Takako are usually out at those shows. Ozaki's heel group and crew usually aren't. Aja never is out there and dresses like a dude, so she blends in. Ozaki has never been nice to me but Carlos/Kato/Nagashima/Toyota are really nice girls. Kansai is 50/50.

At the merchandise tables, whoever was out there was nice and signing stuff. Interestingly, it was mostly whoever was working heel that was at the main table - Ozaki, Mio Shirai, Yumi Ohka, Aja. Possibly because Carlos and a some of the others didn't make the trip. Manami Toyota probably had the most people going up to her. Ozaki had her head wrapped up in towel with blood on her face which wasn't quite as off-putting as Isami Kodaka coming out to sell stuff almost right after a light bulb match with blood all over his body.

• 1 month later...

Reina Jubuki is Akira's masked persona that she used primarily (I think?) in Mexico. A few of the AJW girls in the 90's had masked personas, if I'm remembering things correctly. Off the top of my head, Sakie Hasegawa was Blizzard Yuki, KAORU was Infernal Kaoru, and...that's all I've got right now. I seem to recall Tomoko Watanabe used to wrestle under a mask, but she still used her own name then.