DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

The Yamada vs Toyota Hair match hasn't stood the test of time, wrestling-wise. IMO there was some sloppy work between the two and some questionable selling. But only a Korakuen crowd could've made this match what it was. The heat was insane and made this match an emotional affair, and a classic.

God watching those Atrocious Alliance v. JBA matches again always send chills down my spine because there are those brief shining moments where Itsuki Yamazaki gets the crowd behind herself so thoroughly that she might've rivaled Chigusa's chants!

James

• 3 weeks later...

So this Saturday, Syuri has the opportunity to win her 4th concurrent title. She currently is the WNC Women's Champion, the Reina World Champion, and the CMLL-Reina International Champion. She has also made it to the finals of the tournament to crown the first champion for the Krush kickboxing promotion (where she's currently undefeated at 7-0). 

I find it odd that Syuri has accomplished what she has and yet can't seem to get any traction when she goes to places like WAVE. It seems like she's always stuck in the upper-midcard for anyplace that isn't WNC or Reina.

EDIT: And my streak of posts being at the top of the page is alive at 3 :P

Did Dump Matsumoto ever have a retirement match?  I saw her name in some results recently then looked far enough to see she has been wrestling for years.  I thought she had retired but I may have her mixed up with someone else.  I know she is older now but is she still any good?  I mean good in a brawler/throw around 90 pound women in an entertaining manner kind of way, I know she isn't having five star matches.

Guest Edwin

She retired in the late 80's, but made sporadic comebacks in the late 90's.

She's appeared on a couple of shows in the 00's and has produced her own shows in more recent years which I haven't seen, but I don't expect to be any good now due to age, opponents not being as good as they used to be, kayfabe being dead and lack of fan interest in Joshi leading to smaller venues with less heat and drama.

Wow, that's great! I'd heard that she had some semi-serious health issues, so I'd assumed she just stopped around the time of the video I posted. I guess either it wasn't true or she's beaten whatever it was. Either way, yay!

This is from like 2009 or something, so this has to be one of the more recent Dump matches, right?

http://youtu.be/nJ4Q6fz6tsA

I was at that match and couldn't help but start the Matsumoto chant in the crowd. 

Dump was featured on a TV show loosing weight a couple years ago. It got her healthy enough to wrestle a little and more importantly not die.

Just watched the famous Lioness Asuka/Jaguar Yokota showdown from August of '85. Great, great match, but I'm miffed as to what the finisher Yokota used is. It looks like a Knee Cradle Bridging Back Suplex, but I'm wondering if anyone better informed can fill me in with what the move is actually called or if Yokota had a special name for it?

Oh yeah, Syuri ended up winning that match to become the first Krush Women's Champion. Apparently, the judges were split after the normal 3 rounds, so they had to go into an "overtime" 4th round, which Syuri won by unanimous decision.

Has anybody ever won a title in a legit fighting arena (kickboxing, mma, etc.) while also holding a pro wrestling title (or titles, in Syuri's case)?

Oh yeah, Syuri ended up winning that match to become the first Krush Women's Champion. Apparently, the judges were split after the normal 3 rounds, so they had to go into an "overtime" 4th round, which Syuri won by unanimous decision.

Has anybody ever won a title in a legit fighting arena (kickboxing, mma, etc.) while also holding a pro wrestling title (or titles, in Syuri's case)?

Dan Severn was the NWA World Heavyweight Championship when he won the UFC Superfight Championship.

Guest Edwin

I'll do you one better, Satoshi Ishii won a pro-wrestling title in a legit MMA fight when he beat Kazuyuki Fujita at the INOKI BOM-BA-YE 2013 NYE event and is now defending the title in MMA fights.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Dump Matsumoto ever have a retirement match?  I saw her name in some results recently then looked far enough to see she has been wrestling for years.  I thought she had retired but I may have her mixed up with someone else.  I know she is older now but is she still any good?  I mean good in a brawler/throw around 90 pound women in an entertaining manner kind of way, I know she isn't having five star matches.

Her official retirement matches were in 88, Her & Yukari Ohmori (both retiring) vs Crush, followed by Dump/Chigusa vs Ohmori/Lioness on 2/25 and then short exhibition final matches on 2/28 with Ohmori vs Lioness & Dump vs Bull & Condor in a handicap match. 

Dump did like 1 or 2 legends matches in the late 90's, came back as a manager at first in either 02 or 03 (I forget off the top of my head) and then has been back wrestling since sometime in 2003.

Cagematch is WAY incomplete as with only a few gaps, she's been wrestling regularly ever since. Some of her comeback run's been good, most hasn't. Dump vs Kandori 2005 & Dump vs Aja Kong in 2007 in LLPW were both really bad ass matches. 

It is a small sample size but of the events that had made tape so far this year, I thought that Stardom by far was the best.  Act Yasukawa and Io Shirai both looked really good in their title matches and the card was pretty entertaining.  But that was also the 'biggest' event that has been available (meaning it was an Anniversary event and had three title matches), so I dunno if that is normal or if I happened to jump in at a good time.

I'll second the love for Io Shirai and Act Yasukawa. I would also say that Hikaru Shida and Arisa Nakajima are also really good. If you like a more shootish style, Kana or Syuri can definitely deliver that. Anybody else I'm forgetting about?

Oh, and I just saw that Natsuki Taiyo announced that she'll be retiring in June. Of course, she made the announcement in January, so I'm a little late to the party. Still, it's a shame as I feel that she's one of the better of the more smallish joshi workers. She works a very unique style that I think will be missed.

Taiyo started as a Momoe Nakanishi clone (since she was president of the Momoe fanclub back in the day) and evolved into something that was very much her own thing while still being like a Momoe tribute wrestler. Io Shirai is finally evolving to what those of us who first saw her in 2008 thought she was going to be (i.e. the real deal next big thing for Joshi). Kana always makes whatever promotion she is in interesting because there is no one that stirs shit the way she does.

James