DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wonder if she shows up in Stardom proper soon.

We will have to wait and see.

She was supposed to be one of TJPW's 4 pillars, but Rika Tatsumi eventually replaced her when she left.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I watched two matches from the Showcase show because of the split opinions I've seen surrounding them: the Cosmic Angels three-way and Syuri vs Kurumi. I'll eventually watch the rest but whenever it comes up in my unwatched list.

The use of an airhorn sound effect as the ring bell was funny.

The gist I got surrounding the Cosmic Angels three-way is that you're either going to take it one of two ways. Either you're going to be someone who sees it as this horrible abomination because it was a lighthearted match between three stablemates, or you're going to take it as a match between three stablemates on a gimmick show that was intended to be a goofy spectacle and not much more than that. My official opinion: it was fine, they could have done more with the gimmicks they were using (Unagi breaking up a pin by squirting the ref with a water gun was great), but otherwise it was a silly three-way in a match that was intended to be a silly three-way.

Syuri vs Kurumi was... well, it wasn't bad. The reviews I've seen indicate that if this is your first time seeing Kurumi, you thought the match was good. As I watched, my primary thought was that it's not a bad match, but it could be so much better without the stipulation (Kurumi doesn't have a lot of submissions, and checking for them as frequently as they did broke up the flow of the match). My secondary thought was "I wish this match had happened before Kurumi had gotten hurt again and Syuri wasn't in the midst of a regression". If you take the 2019 or 2020 versions of Syuri and Kurumi and stripped away the gimmick of an I Quit match, I think it would have been far, far better. Kurumi gets a pass because she's fresh from injury and the match didn't suit her style. I don't know what's going on with Syuri but it just feels like she's going through the motions in all her matches to me. I want to like them because Syuri's been one of my favorites for a long time, but something is making me think "this could be so much better". I'll keep giving her a shot though.

Stardom

STARDOM IN SHOWCASE VOL. 2  at Belle Salle Takadanobabal

Results from Purolove

Spoiler

Stardom "STARDOM MIDSUMMER CHAMPIONS 2022 IN NAGOYA", 24.07.2022 (PPV)
Nagoya International Conference Hall Event Hall
1,064 Fans - No Vacancy

1. Saya Iida & Hanan vs. Mai Sakurai & Rina Amikura  - Time Limit Draw (10:00).
2. STARS vs. Oedo Tai: Mayu Iwatani & Momo Kohgo besiegen Ruaka & Fukigen Death★ (4:48) nach einem Dodonpa von Iwatani gegen Ruaka.
3. High Speed Title: AZM (c) besiegt Rina (8:04) mit einem Hankouki Clutch (6th defense).
4. Captain's Fall 3 Way Battle: Risa Sera , Kurumi Hiragi  & Suzu Suzuki  besiegen Mina Shirakawa, Unagi Sayaka & Hikari Shimizu  und Hina, Lady C (c) & Miyu Amasaki (11:42) nach dem Gran Maestro de Tequila von Suzuki gegen Shirakawa.
5. Artist of Stardom Title: Momo Watanabe, Starlight Kid & Saki Kashima (c) besiegen Giulia, Maika & Himeka (12:56) nach dem Kishikaisei von Kashima gegen Giulia (2nd defense).
6. Goddesses of Stardom Title: Hazuki & Koguma (c) besiegen MIRAI & Ami Sorei (18:45) nach einem Hazukistral von Hazuki gegen Sorei (4th defense).
7. Wonder of Stardom Title: Saya Kamitani (c) besiegt SAKI  (13:22) mit einem Phoenix Splash (8th defense).
8. World of Stardom Title: Syuri (c) besiegt Tam Nakano (22:18) mit dem Red World (7th defense).

Spoiler

It's obvious by now who are the most important.

Saya said she is the center of Stardom and "im Stardom". Saya wants to break the defense record for the white belt.

I have to say that while Stardom Midsummer Champions Nagoya was a typically solid show from the company the only must see match for me to recommend is the main event. Tam Nakano infuses so much emotion and passion into her matches and has been on an incredible run. Not sure she gets enough love for an outstanding last couple of years.

Momo K or Shieru Wakana is 37 years old irl. Unagi is really 36 or 37 now. Some wrestlers have kayabe fake ages or no age listed at all.

I don't remember Maki Ito's real first name, her last name is real. Bunch of women and men have or used fake wrestler names in the biz for decades.

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Momo K or Shieru Wakana is 37 years old irl. Unagi is really 36 or 37 now. Some wrestlers have kayabe fake ages or no age listed at all.

Cherry is teenager forever!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ka-to said:

Cherry is teenager forever!

Quoted for accuracy. (Seriously, she just doesn't age.)

I just finished Stardom's showcase. That was a fun but strange show. Reminded me of the wackiness they had back in 2017-2019. The 4-way and 3-way were the most fun matches. I totally want to see more of Yuu in Stardom.

6 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I don't remember Maki Ito's real first name, her last name is real. Bunch of women and men have or used fake wrestler names in the biz for decades.

Momo Kohgo/Komomo? Seriously? Is she a vampire? Or has she found the fountain of youth? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

Hikaru Shida versus Ibuki Hoshi build up for the 7/31 Ice Ribbon dealie!

https://www.bbm-japan.com/article/detail/34532

That whole show is looking like a bunch of fun. We've got a main event of Totoro Satsuki and Yuna Manase defending the International Ribbon tag titles against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto, Maika Ozaki against Asahi to determine Saori Anou's next challenger, Kyuri returns against Tae Honma, and...

FYwBmpAaAAEFfJM?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

That whole show is looking like a bunch of fun. We've got a main event of Totoro Satsuki and Yuna Manase defending the International Ribbon tag titles against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto, Maika Ozaki against Asahi to determine Saori Anou's next challenger, Kyuri returns against Tae Honma, and...

FYwBmpAaAAEFfJM?format=jpg&name=900x900

Stephanie Vaquer rules the fucking world.

33 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Stephanie Vaquer rules the fucking world.

I'm excited for Kaho to get a chance to broaden her horizons at her experience level, so if Stephanie can help boost Kaho up even more then I'm going to be super-stoked for that match (as well as a possible single between the two).

Edited by Stefanie the Human

On 7/28/2022 at 7:45 AM, Blue Dragon said:

Unless it was leaked somewhere, Maki Ito's first name is still unknown. She was Maki Ito from the time she joined LinQ in 2011.