DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
23 hours ago, D.Z said:

Prominence has an interesting setup. No ring but a mat and other junk.

Ice Ribbon changed up stuff.

It's not even a mat, it's a tarp. I don't know if it's a permanent thing or just something for these pre-launch shows they're doing, but it definitely hampered bump-taking. Suzu's german suplex on Mochi for the finish in the final match was super awkward because she seemed tentative about bumping on the stage instead of in a ring.

In general, the Prominence show seemed kind of weird. I guess it was mostly a preview of the personalities of the main people involved for anyone that wasn't familiar with them, but instead it came off like a comedy show with occasional use of deathmatch gimmicks. The Risa/Akane draw was because they chewed up the first five minutes playing baseball with each other, and like... yeah, that's what Risa and Akane do, but at the same time, are people who watch deathmatches going to want to watch them break into playing baseball mid-match? Mochi also looked 100% out of her element (really tentative on swinging weapons, tensing up super early when it came time for her to take shots). As someone who adores Mochi, it made me a little sad to see her trying her best in this environment and coming off kind of weak.

I do like all five members of Prominence, I just hope these shows are to work out the kinks and figure out what their identity will be. If it's going to be comedy deathmatches, so be it. It'll certainly be different, and I can't say I know if a market exists for that since, well... has it been tried before? If DDT's going to stream their shows on Wrestle Universe, I guess we'll find out. I wish them the best of luck.

As far as the Ice Ribbon changes, they're adding Makoto as a regular participant! This makes me happy. I like Makoto so seeing her back into the fold more often will be enjoyable. I've also liked seeing them working with JTO and SAKI's new group, and I hope that Yuna Manase shows up more as well.

GLEAT is becoming the great Japanese indie of our times, isn't it? I wish they'd just do more of a Battlarts fusion than separate the two styles, but this is rad. Hosokawa was Emi's latest trainee and looked pretty good in the lil bit of Chocopro I saw her in. How's she been doing in GLEAT?

• Like 1