DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Rocket League Thread

SirFozzie

• 3 weeks later...

Just played for a few hours at a friend's. Such a great party game. I'm totally down to Rocket League with y'all.

Strange, though, that we couldn't connect online because one friend was using a guest account. I don't get it.

• 8 months later...

THREAD NECROMANCY~!

I was gonna start another, but figured I'd use this one.

There's a free trial play period on XBox Live now if you haven't discovered the greatness that is Rocket League. Game's a hoot and it's about 4 gigs, so it's not gonna take forever to download. Try it out.

I'm on usually late at night: jstout423. El Dragon is another spirited competitor, and my man Herby's been playing, so join in.

Shame we've lost Rippa down the Overwatch rabbit hole.

52 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Just got promoted to Pro today. Love this game.

I hope it doesn't promote me to Pro, for I am nowhere near that league of player. I'd consider myself on the low end of Semi-Pro. I'm Level 15, it says.

No way I'll be worthy of being called Pro at Level 20, especially since the leveling is just a function of playing a lot. My favorite burst was the 2-on-2 where we won 10 straight. First time I felt like something "clicked." I really like 2 on 2. Don't think I've even played 1 on 1 yet. I always pick 1, 2, 3 and 4-person teams and it's almost always standard 3-on-3.

Had my first troll over the free weekend yesterday. Guy probably scored five own goals over the course of the match to the point where he had to be doing it on purpose. I just left the match, no use hanging around. We were down 7-0 with two minutes left.

I think the alternative game modes are really fun in a "shore up the weak points of your game" way as well as just being cool, and is something to look into.

In the Hockey variant, the puck tends to slide along walls a lot, which means you get a lot of chance to practice your timing wall riding to make plays. It's turned it into a strength in my game. Were as the Basketball one makes it so that you HAVE to get good at elevating shots. 

And then there's the Labs, which is what I have spent over half my time on. I might play more to the maps in those then anyone I've been in a game with, and it's led to me getting some really great goals and saves. 

By the way, just got done playing with Herby, and it seems the multiplayer just may have been broken for us that time.

One person invites whomever into the game, then when they're hooked up, the leader (the one who did the inviting) searches for a game and both folks will be in the same game. If the leader leaves a game, you leave the game. If the leader backs out to the main menu, so do you. And everyone in a group is on the same team.

Game ran like a champ despite my really high ping rates because it put me with Herby in a European server. Gotta admit it ticks me off that he's been playing for two days now and is better than me and was running circles around me.

It's funny, because he was talking about buying it when the free weekend got announced. Now that he's played it for free, he's certain he's buying it as soon as the free period's over. I knew the guy would love the game, I mean ... soccer? Cars? Soccer in cars? It's a no-brainer.

I hadn't gone on and played 3v3 standard in a long time, as RL has become a social game for me as I try to stick to local multiplayer for the most part. Holy shit, all these new experts and masters are just lovely social beings that make playing the game such a joy. 

Two of them went so far as to bitch teammates out during a close game and conceded because they were busy typing with a controller.

My favorite people on the face of the earth are the ones who leave the matches early because they're losing. It's amazing how protective gamers are of their win-loss record, like it's the only way they'll be judged when they go to Gamer Heaven.

Hell, one kid calling me a "stupid idiot" when I accidentally own-goaled one made me rethink playing video games in general. People take this shit WAY too seriously. If you're having fun and you win, yay! If you're having fun and you lose, who cares? It's not like you get your pay docked for losing, it's a freakin' video game.

I mean, I'm just freakin' horrible at this game. I dunno why, can't quite get the handle on it. Sometimes I play OK, but lately I've been playing an awful lot of bad. I wouldn't mind it so much if everyone around me wasn't DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT A FREAKING VIDEO GAME. I'm tired of feeling like I'm letting every xxDabSmoker420xx in video gamedom down if I accidentally don't play up to his lofty expectations.

A minor thing about this game that pisses me off, for some stupid reason: This is a pet peeve of mine - I hate it when everyone doesn't have their cars in the primary colors of orange and blue. It gets me kinda confused. We're on a team, everyone needs to be the same color, and why not be the color that your goal is? Not everyone gets to be an individual on a team. What would happen if, I dunno, the New England Patriots dressed in different shades of blue?