DVDVR Message Board

Raw 8-24-15 - Post-Summerslam Show

MGFanJay

I loved the Braun debut - reminded me of debuting a monster back in the territory days, complete with the faces being laid to waste with no real offense. 

The only thing I would've changed: Reigns would've hit the Superman Punch, and Stowman would've completely shrugged it off, like Big Bubba Rogers or Meng taking a chairshot over the head.  It would've made Stowman into a fucking god in one shot, especially if Reigns sold it properly.

• Like 1

I loved the Braun debut - reminded me of debuting a monster back in the territory days, complete with the faces being laid to waste with no real offense. 

The only thing I would've changed: Reigns would've hit the Superman Punch, and Stowman would've completely shrugged it off, like Big Bubba Rogers or Meng taking a chairshot over the head.  It would've made Stowman into a fucking god in one shot, especially if Reigns sold it properly.

Reminded me of this.

Giant monster heels absolutely obliterating top babyfaces in their debut is how you strap a rocket onto their back.

To be clear, I don't hate all "smart crowds," as they've done some productive and entertaining things over the years, but the reaction to the women's segment really bothered me.

If you want to be a "smart crowd," shouldn't you actually demonstrate some forward thinking ability? How does shitting on the women's match increase the chances of getting more Sasha or NXT-style women's matches? That segment was bad, yes. From not playing to strengths of the people you want to get over, to no payback on the Miz, to a mediocre match, it was one of the lesser women's segments over the past month. Still, if you think it can get better, don't give it "go away" heat. Have people not realized over the past 2 years that "go away" heat actually works? How did Batista and Roman's main event pushes go again? Smarky crowds have had way more reach since the social media boom, and more and more people are emulating those reactions weekly. It's one thing to use that very dangerous weapon against people you truly don't want to see, but using it out of boredom or spite towards a 50% of those involved is just embarrassingly short-sighted and counter-productive in the long term. That being said, I think WWE has too much invested to scrap everything after one show, but for so-called fans of Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, and Paige to potentially jeopardize their future in exchange for a shout-out from JBL strikes me as not being as smart as they think they are.

• Like 1

The AmbReigns/Wyatt saga will likely be the best thing going in a bit.  An actual blood feud, Wyatt fed a version of himself some Venom or Super Solider Serum, Luke Harper being awesome, Ambrose's crazy ways actually having purpose, Reigns likely going to the swamps to find Solomon Grundy--this should be fun.

To be clear, I don't hate all "smart crowds," as they've done some productive and entertaining things over the years, but the reaction to the women's segment really bothered me.

If you want to be a "smart crowd," shouldn't you actually demonstrate some forward thinking ability? How does shitting on the women's match increase the chances of getting more Sasha or NXT-style women's matches? That segment was bad, yes. From not playing to strengths of the people you want to get over, to no payback on the Miz, to a mediocre match, it was one of the lesser women's segments over the past month. Still, if you think it can get better, don't give it "go away" heat. Have people not realized over the past 2 years that "go away" heat actually works? How did Batista and Roman's main event pushes go again? Smarky crowds have had way more reach since the social media boom, and more and more people are emulating those reactions weekly. It's one thing to use that very dangerous weapon against people you truly don't want to see, but using it out of boredom or spite towards a 50% of those involved is just embarrassingly short-sighted and counter-productive in the long term. That being said, I think WWE has too much invested to scrap everything after one show, but for so-called fans of Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, and Paige to potentially jeopardize their future in exchange for a shout-out from JBL strikes me as not being as smart as they think they are.

I understand your point but I think you're putting too much thought into what a smart crowd is. It has no brain. It doesn't think. It's just a very large group of diehard somewhat like-minded wrestling fans.

Becky's promo stuff was awful last night but god what if someone actually wrote it for her thinking it would be good for her to say

I cringed when she called Alicia the "wrestling Nene Leakes". This is so not the demo for that insult. 

WWE had Nene as a special guest host on 10/13/14.She wasnt bad. I just don't watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta. But you are absolutely right and someone else touched on this as well. The comment coming from Becky just seemed so out-of-place as I don't believe Becky watches or even knows about that show. That 'zinger' almost reached Dennis Miller levels of obsurdity.

Caley, what makes you say Vince and Kevin Dunn hate Sasha?

Its just a random bs thing when talking about the supposed sabotage of a wrestler or angle. He wasn't being serious. Besides Vince supposedly likes Sasha & Charlotte a good deal for their house show matches earlier in the year.

This totally needs to happen.

So the next time that someone says that wrestling fans should have any say at all in who is featured on TV, who is getting pushed or anything else wrestling related, show that person the crowd chanting "We Are Awesome" during the diva's match followed immediately by showing them the insane pop that Dolph Ziggler got. 

Also, whomever came up with the Miz TV segment should be fired. It was an absolute disaster, just so overwritten and tone deaf. You could tell the girls had no idea what they were saying or why, it may as well have been in Greek. The characterization they are going for is boy band level trite. "Charlotte's the popular one! Paige is the Rebel! Becky is secretly nerdy and awkward!" God bless the Miz for trying to get heel heat back on him after the awful crowd cheered his shut up catchphrase, I thought he tried to save the whole thing, but it was doomed from the start. If he is going to be a smarmy asshole the whole time and just leave when other women show up to prove his vague "bitches be crazy" point, no one can get over with the segment even remotely. It makes him look like a prick, and it makes the girls look toothless and awful. What did the segment gain by having Miz be a part of it?

You know how some families have a swear jar? Can Roman Reigns carry around a "rebound jar", and Dean has to put in beer money whenever he uses a bad rebound lariat, or the spinning one on the floor? Both are garbage.

I think Kevin Owens and Rusev as a tag team is the greatest. I hope we get to see them killing local talent for a month before feuding with the Dudleys and New Day.  

I'm kinda sad now that I realize we never got a New Day vs Shield match.

Well if Seth gets kicked out of the Authority when he jobs to Sting next month....we could theoretically get it. Of course that ruins Survivor Series with Sting/Reigns/Ambrose/Cesaro vs. New Day/Rollins/Owens/Rusev at Survivor Series (Yes somehow the New Day will envoke the New Day Rule and make a 4 on 4 elimination match, a 4 on 6 elimination match)

Well if Seth gets kicked out of the Authority when he jobs to Sting next month....we could theoretically get it. Of course that ruins Survivor Series with Sting/Reigns/Ambrose/Cesaro vs. New Day/Rollins/Owens/Rusev at Survivor Series (Yes somehow the New Day will envoke the New Day Rule and make a 4 on 4 elimination match, a 4 on 6 elimination match)

Poor Xavier is so eating a finisher train.

Random points:

The Dudleyz are supposed to excite me, I guess. It's 2015. It's not TNA. Stop.

I find it funny that WWE tried to push New Day as an ultra face team and failed. Then they tried to push them as dastardly heels, and they're the most-over face team on the roster. I don't know what that means, but it's fucking funny as hell.

The person that came out of the Miz TV segment looking the best was the Miz. He never broke character and pinked every one of the women in that segment. Also, when he got the face pop he didn't expect, he at least tried to give them the "fuck you don't cheer me" spot. All 6 of the women came off poorly.

Stardust is fantastic. I wish he could be in the main event. I'd probably be less negative. Maybe.

My wife, who doesn't watch wrestling other than maybe a few minutes with me and the kids a month, came into the room during the Jon Stewart segment. "Are you fucking shitting me?" was her response. It was nicer than mine.

Flair is going to turn on Cena eventually, right?

Easy to be sad NOW. Who knew Kofi and Xavier were going to end up getting good?

Big E was always good though.

Loved Braun's debut. Now that I feel obligated to watch the "developmental" show, I always know who the new guys are when they get called up. I didn't realize how much I missed having no idea who the new farm animal on my TV screen was. And even if they've been hiding him away because he's not all that good and he's only here because he's the most Wyatt-looking guy they've got, so what? I dug Erik Rowan for heaven's sake. Making any lumbering oaf work as the third wheel of this act isn't that difficult. And if Braun turns out to be more than that, even better. All in on this. 

I see the redeeming qualities of the Bellas, the ways they've improved, and the way people's perception of them can be useful. But they're damaged goods right now and they need to go away for a while. A shame Cena's girl isn't going to NXT to work a redemption angle for the next season of Total Divas. 

Also, I've come to accept and really enjoy what Miz is. But those women weren't ready to be sucked into that black hole. 

Sucks to see some of the girls going off on the crowd on social media. But at this point, I half-expect all performers to be temperamental when things don't go their way. Years of being a CM Punk fan has stopped me from expecting better of anyone. And now I've got to deal with sweet, innocent Roman Reigns knocking the internet. Unfortunately, they can't all be Saint Cena.

I haven't watched TNA since their run on Spike ended. Is Calfzilla still good? 

The main roster needs to run their own Dusty tag tournament. New Day, Ambrose & Reigns, Wyatts, Dudleys, PTP, Rusev & Owens, Sting & Cena, Goldust & Stardust, Lucha Dragons etc. They could let the winner of the NXT tournament(Cass and Enzo) enter this one.

I can't get over the shitty payoffs we got to the terrible booking of the top 2 matches at Summerslam. At least Bo had me lmao.

• Like 1

Dudleyz coming in short-term to put over New Day/Prime Time Players/Wyatt Family is fine.

For their final match, they should have Erick Rowan return as a "surprise" replacement for Strowman in the match and win with 3-D to play off the Twitter feud with Bully Ray.

I can't believe people are calling Cena a "bully" for getting revenge on a guy who smacked him with a steel chair to cost him two titles on Sunday night. What the hell did you namby-pambys think of Jimmy Hart getting beat up by Lawler for the first half of the 1980s? Was Lawler a bully for pile-driving Andy Kaufman too?

I was more upset with Ric Flair having to stand out there as this sad old man being all "John Cena deserves to beat my record". But hey, when you're 66 and you have four alimonies to pay you'll say anything as long as the check clears.

• Like 2

So, with a third member of the Wyatt Family, does this mean Bray goes back to managing? Ambrose and Reigns' team is built upon a kinship they established over the years. it would feel incredibly cheap if they just brought somebody new into their bruddahood.