DVDVR Message Board

2015 NCAAF: WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

I don't want to know what would win in a battle between a badger and a wolverine, but I do think they would team up and bring the gopher and wildcat along to beat the shit out of and eat whatever a Buckeye is.

The rest of the various turtles, birds and ancient warriors would be ganging up and mauling whatever a boilermaker, hoosier and cornhusker would be represented by in reality, people I guess.

No one would let the lion anywhere near the feasts out of spite.

The Illini would just be hanging out in back somewhere.

Well, considering Utah was invited to join the Pac-12 and BYU wasn't. . . .

The Pac-12 is basically large state universities and Stanford.

Allegedly, the thing that held the Big 12 from inviting BYU a few years back is their refusal to play sports on Sundays, which can affect B-ball and non-revenue sports that travel (like baseball).

Utah and Colorado got invited to the Pac 12 to add the Denver and Salt Lake City media markets. If conference invites were based on merit, then Boise State wouldn't still be in the Mountain West, Rutgers and Maryland never would have made the Big 10.

SMU sticking around with Baylor, only down 28-21 early in the 2nd. This isn't the nuclear disaster last year's game was.

Yeah, it looks like Baylor is only playing every other quarter this year,

I think both the Arizona teams are fool's gold this year. I could see one of them stealing the P12 South if it turns into a cluster with neither USC or UCLA asserting control, but I can't see either of them catching a whiff of the playoff.

I think Arizona is probably a year or two off from making a really big run. Defense isn't going to be there this season.

It's the PAC-12, since when does the defense matter?
Well, you don't have to have a great defense to win the Pac-12, but you also can't have the type of defense that gives up 525 yards to Texas-San Antonio.

Which is what they did last night.

Touché

My armchair coaching might lean too conservative, but this weekend I have witnessed two instances of teams passing on the easy field goal in favor of a 4th down conversion that both teams did not convert. South Carolina's situation should have been a no brainier where the field goal would have put the Gamecocks up by seven, luckily the decision did not bite them in the ass. Boise St had an opportunity to go up 16-0 which also carries a psychological advantage of being up three scores. Though there was no way to know at the time how things would play out, kicking the field goal would have forced Washington to score a touchdown at the end which their offense was unable to do all night.

If I were to use an investing analogy for my coaching strategy; I would rather invest in a solid divided paying stock where a return is almost guaranteed rather than investing in a high growth stock which could yield high rewards, but is more likely to make little money or even loose your ass on.

Stanford looked bad repeatedly having passes bounce off of their hands. They really look like they lost their toughness. Northwestern pushed them around from one end of Chicago to the other. Beating a then ranked team from another section of the country should give Northwestern a bump in their final bowl placement.