DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

Having just watched the show, I noticed one thing about it which is terribly unusual for the WWE or even wrestling in general. I've been bringing this up on different websites, because so far I haven't seen anyone else mention it: does anyone think that perhaps one big reason why this show has been so overwhelmingly well-received by practically the entire fanbase, is simply that there weren't any damn swerves? The babyfaces went over clean in every match. No screwy finishes, no heels stealing the win, no run-ins, no DQs or countouts; in short, no bullshit of any kind. "A hero fights a villain, and the hero wins, the end" was the story being told in six different matches in a row. It's amazing how rare that is in wrestling, isn't it? The industry seems sadly obsessed with constantly denying its fans what they really want to see; so hey, what a shock that a show with simplistic happily-ever-after booking actually got over with everyone!

• Like 1

It's a rare situation where every face going over made the most sense.  

Jushin Liger is a legend in his WWE debut, Tyler is great, but isn't beating a legend, yet.

Vaudevillains are very good hands and are over. Outmatched, they find another super popular wrestler to help their cause.  Boom, they're over the top. 

Apollo Crews is in his debut.  Can't have a guy you want as a big star job in his first match.

Joe is the guy in the most danger as Corbin has been shown to be a killer.  But "wily veteran" means Joe should beat the rookie more often than not.

Bayley has been toiling for years.  Sasha's taking over the main roster by sheer force of will.  The NXT title is frankly beneath her at this point.

Balor is a very strong player in the NXT level and essentially waiting for the deadwood on the face side to clear out before he gets called up.  Owens is main roster and by all (non-Kevin Dunn) accounts is impressing.  

• Like 3

It's astonishing how it's so easy to apply simple logic into this show yet it's a daunting task to make some of the stuff at Summerslam and Raw make any kind of sense.  If you told an outsider they're under the same WWE umbrella they'd be shocked and think you're full of it.

• Like 1

Having just watched the show, I noticed one thing about it which is terribly unusual for the WWE or even wrestling in general. I've been bringing this up on different websites, because so far I haven't seen anyone else mention it: does anyone think that perhaps one big reason why this show has been so overwhelmingly well-received by practically the entire fanbase, is simply that there weren't any damn swerves? The babyfaces went over clean in every match. No screwy finishes, no heels stealing the win, no run-ins, no DQs or countouts; in short, no bullshit of any kind. "A hero fights a villain, and the hero wins, the end" was the story being told in six different matches in a row. It's amazing how rare that is in wrestling, isn't it? The industry seems sadly obsessed with constantly denying its fans what they really want to see; so hey, what a shock that a show with simplistic happily-ever-after booking actually got over with everyone!

On top of that, they didn't try to swerve the audience.  For weeks, everybody was screaming for Blue Pants to be the backup for the Vaudvillains.  Normal procedure on the main shows would be to not do that. 

This show definitely felt like an old school WrestleMania. Faces win unless there is a DAMN good reason they shouldn't.

Looks like they did this earlier in the card as well. Hometown faces went over, except in the women's matches where, like it or not, you see the Eva Marie will be pushed, and Emma is likely for the title feud with Bayley.

- "So, Bayley what were you like growing up?"

- "Well, I was really terrified of clowns."

nmhM4vn.jpg

Because clowns ARE fucking scary!!!
Kana Wayne Gacy.

...okay, someone else admit it, I can't be the only guy here who sees that and has an immediate reaction of: "You. Me. BED. NOW. Just take off the trunks. Leave everything else on. YES that includes the cape and the belt!"

• Like 1

Dave Meltzer rated Bayley vs. Sasha Banks ****1/2. That's got be the highest rating Dave's given a women's match in the WWE.

What did he give the Charlotte/Nattie match where he was basically screaming that Nattie was Jumbo Tsuruta with boobs?

Okay - I actually looked

It appears that is the highest rating of a WWE women's match at least in the last three years

He gave Sasha/Charlotte and Sasha/Becky 4 stars

Dave Meltzer rated Bayley vs. Sasha Banks ****1/2. That's got be the highest rating Dave's given a women's match in the WWE.

I'd agree with that. While I enjoyed Becky/Sasha more, the story Bayley had to get to that match was more compelling and worth the extra half star

I'd agree with that. While I enjoyed Becky/Sasha more, the story Bayley had to get to that match was more compelling and worth the extra half star

I wasn't sure if I preferred Bayley/Banks or Banks/Lynch watching them one after another today. Right now I'd go for Bayley/Banks as I found it more emotional with a hotter crowd. I'd give Bayley vs. Banks ****1/2 and Banks/Becky either the same or ****1/4. Can't go wrong with either match.

I'm not one to rate matches using the star method, but man I'm having a hard time deciding which match I like better.  Sasha/Becky was tremendous with the arm work and intensity of the match.  Becky's reaction at the end was so real and added a lot to what they went through.  But Bayley's match had the big-time emotional investment on top of an excellent match.  I'm very barely going with Sasha/Bayley.  The hand work was top notch (stomping it while in the Bank Statement was tremendous) and the intensity Bayley brought added tons to the match.  Add to that the Dusty wristbands and curtain call afterwards and it was easily MOTN.

But it is telling that two of the best women's matches of the year involved Sasha.  It's stunning how for a few years in wrestling and less than half of that as a heel she's so fucking good.  She's an absolute gem.  It's been said before, but she truly needs to be in March Madness and there's not one bit of irony about that.

There's no WWE wrestler I would've voted over Sasha last year, and she's even better now. We just have to hope we get a few more goat level matches in NXT. Maybe a Bayley rematch, and Sasha/Becky 2(crosses fingers).

The fact that the matches against Becky and Bayley were so different is another feather in Sasha's cap. I honestly think she trounces every other active wrestler in WWE right now. Add to that the fact she only has a few decent workers in her division, and it's even more impressive.

Looking at Dave's ratings for 2015 (and I will not argue the NJPW ratings because I haven't seen all of the matches) it appears that he is still judging Sasha Banks a little differently because I thought Sasha/Bayley was easily better than any of the Owens/Cena matches (two were at 4.5 stars).

Even if he doesn't come right out and say it, he is still judging Sasha on matches that are "good for a women's match".  That argument is bullshit right now.  Also, as someone who watches ever NJPW show, he overrates the shit out of certain matches.