DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: THE VON ERICHS

RIPPA

This covers all Von Erichs real and fake - except Lacey who I already picked

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2784-wrestler-of-the-day-lacey-von-erich/?hl=%2Bvon+%2Berich

I am at a work retreat so I can't find Youtube videos but really - do you need me to do your dirty work for you?

I mean I can't even get the fucking url to work properly right now

Looking for David Von Erich matches, I came upon this ... the WWF giving David a 10-bell salute prior to an Ivan Putski squash match in 1984.  Very classy, especially since David (AFAIK) never worked for the WWF ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lU32YAuMMs

The boys (David, Kerry, Kevin) all worked MSG at one time or another in the late 70s. SOP for Vince Sr, giving the territorial stars some shine here and there.

Yeah, WCCW was one of the feds where I routinely pulled for the heels since I hated the blatant push to the moon for babyfaces despite the proper Southern booking that had a murderer's row of heels like Rick Rude, Chris Adams, The Freebirds, Jimmy Garvin, and Gorgeous Gino Hernandez routinely winning belts.

The exception to that rule was Kerry.  He was a lunkhead, but the Discus Punch killed guys dead and how could you not love him coming to the ring with Rush playing over the loudspeaker?  Tom Sawyer was almost as iconic of an entrance theme as Flair's Also Sprach Zarathrustra. 

Kerry had the good taste to be good enough to be carried to a decent match and he didn't blow up as much as most muscular workers did.

David and Kevin were excellent workers but they had the charisma of damp sponges.

For a while there, Lance and Steve Simpson had a red hot tag-team that I tried to like, but I also had an irrational hatred for the Simpson brothers.

For a while there, Lance and Steve Simpson had a red hot tag-team that I tried to like, but I also had an irrational hatred for the Simpson brothers.

Yeah, fuck the Simpson brothers.  Steve was ok, I guess, but he would've benefited from a haircut.  Shawn was just a pretty boy.  Stuart actually had a better look but I only saw him once.  What's up with that?

I think David was the best of the bunch. I would disagree with him having a lack of charisma. He wasn't the Rock or Piper obviously, but he had a great "fiery cowboy" vibe going.

This is a fun fucking match. Harley reclaimed the NWA strap from Flair the month before and picked up his schedule as touring champ. He ends up in Texas and defends against Kevin. The story tells itself from there. This is great because of Kevin's selling, David's fire, and Harley Race being Harley Goddamn Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyB62sFFTso

PS: Why can't I make my youtube posts pretty like the popular kids?

PSS: Match starts about 15 minutes in.