DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: FRED OTTMAN

RIPPA

There is a three part (think about that) match with Otto Wanz on Youtube but I am not evil enough to post that here.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I just watched Straight Outta Compton but I thought Rocky was about to bust out a Crip walk there. And man it is weird seeing the Nasty Boys thinner and wearing those black jackets. Or whatever they are.

There is a three part (think about that) match with Otto Wanz on Youtube but I am not evil enough to post that here.

Well to be fair - a lot of the Wanz stuff got posted in three parts. It was just how the person decided to upload them.

Nice things I will say about Ottman:

1.) He has one of the best big man big splashes in the history of wrestling. He really does. It's great. He just sizes the guy up and hits it clean.

2.) He has this really cool standing underhook suplex thing. 

3.) He was actually a decent FIP for Earthquake as the natural disasters. Their face run is one of the most underrated tag runs in WWF history. Incredibly fun jobber matches and some good name ones too.

I think there's a real argument (not an ironic argument) that Natural Disasters vs Beverly Brothers is the best match on Summerslam 92.

That photo warms my heart.   Embrace the horrible gimmick, shoestring production values, and the costume that was put together in five minutes. 

I found a couple of Big Steel Man vids on the YouTubes that weren't cut into a million parts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pE59qKZoIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYyf9ZqC_Pc

I saw the Big Steel Man vs. Otto Wanz vid in three parts. 

Redeeming the apparently irredeemable, and posting Haku and Buddy Rose matches - it doesn't get anymore DVDVR than that right?

Not somewhere who belongs anywhere near the main-event, but I like Ottman goddammit. And fuck it, he's alive and appears to be pretty happy with his lot in life. For a super-heavyweight in pro wrestling, that's no small thing. He was asked about Hall of Fame; he said he wants to be the one who puts in Tenta - and he was believable. Hope he gets the chance.

For extra DVDVR sleaze credit - Hulk Hogan gets 'turned on', Troy McClure style.

• 4 weeks later...