DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVIII

Dolfan in NYC

It's kind of funny that the one guy on the roster who actually "just likes to have FUN!!!" had his first push flop because he was portrayed as too serious.

That wasn't lost on me either. If ever there were a time to describe someone as "a fun loving guy who just loves to have fun," that was it.

RAW tonight has that post-WM RAW feeling. I like it.

Yeah, it'll be great to hear the crowd tell the women who they fuck and suck again.

Of the nine divas only two of them are unknown in who they're dating/married to right? So just put out Becky vs. Tamina. It's not the ideal matchup but it lessens the offensiveness from the crowd.

Timekeeper errors happen semi-regularly in actual sports, though. I mean, they aren't a regular occurrence. But there are a lot of basketball games decided by someone not getting a shot off in time/refs blowing a whistle on a dubious foul call/etc. And whenever a game like that happens, the initial human reaction is: "I want to see us play them again, because we were robbed."

WWE is weird in that it keeps dancing between wrestling rules and real sports rules. The time keeper thing wouldn't have been a real issue is WWE worked this year in establishing a few things:

1. Submissions no longer require 3 arm raises. If someone is out-cold. Treat it like MMA- the ref checks on the person and calls for the bell if that person is 'done'.

2. During cases of the ref being 'out of it' (for whatever reason), the defacto ringside authority is the time-keeper.

3. During submissions, ref are at no-point looking at the shoulders of the person applying the submission.

There and other things should have been established throughout the year so when a finish like this happens people aren't completley blown away (in a bad way) by it. The fans are using wrestling rules while watching wrestling matches. If WWE wants to go into the 'real sports' rules then minor things need to change so finishes like Taker/Lesnar lead to intrigue and a strong desire to see a rubber match vs. a ton of pissed off people.

Oh..and the wrestlers/etc. not being in position for the time keeper to actually see all of this was something else. WWE wrestlers always turn toward the hard cam for the finish, why not turn toward the time keeper if the TIME KEEPER IS INVOLVED IN THE FINISH?! It will be interesting to see if WWE does anything interesting with this apparent fuck-up or if its business as usual tomorrow night. I believe someone mentioned Taker getting a beatdown of some sort (or quitting because he doesn't like the 'politics' of WWE ) or some bullshit, and then coming back at Mania...which will suck dick.

New Day is awesome. The Armell tag team match was short and fun. I didn't watch Orton/Shemus, The IC title match, nor Ziggler/Rusev. I caught a little bit of each but fast-forward as I had/have no interest in those pairings. The Shield tag team match was fine and everyone came out looking good.

The Divas match was something else. Brie Bella getting so much ring time was just preplexing. Is she even a top ten worker in the division? In no certain order, I would rank all of these women above Brie in terms of workrate:

Sasha Banks

Charlotte

Becky Lynch

Bailey

Emma

Paige*

Nikki Bella

Naomi

Natalie**

Dana Brooke

*She has been pretty dicey as of late and has been greatly exposed recently.

** She is known to be really terrible at times and is clearly riding on the Hart name, but she has shown in-ring competence on more than one occasion and can make someone green not make herself look like a complete asshole in the ring.

When 2015 Paige and 2015 Natalie Neidhart are better workers than you, its time to re-evaluate your game plan.

Also, people LOVE talking about strikes and yet Tamina gets no love? She is the noly Diva that looks like she is truly beating the shit out of everyone. The kicks, the headbutts, the EVERYTHING. It all looks so snug and legit. Its not a lot and its not flashy, but the little she does looks believible and actually adds to her character. Silent, overlooked at times, but once she is in the ring all it takes is one superkick and shit gets real. She is the most realistic striker in the Divas division.

Owens/Cesaro was good, but I could feel the crowd was not as into it as they could have been. At that point the crowd had seen a lot of good workers (and shitty ones like Brie Bella) dominate the night. It was a fun occasion and after taking a lost at Takeover, Owens definitely needed the win tonight. SummerSlam/NXT Takeover Brooklyn wasn't as bad of a mix as TLC/NXT from last year.

Paige's BF isn't connected to wrestling, so they should be OK using her.  2 on 1 handicap with Tamina knocking off Paige's head before Becky hits the Disarm Her. 

I would say Alicia, but they'd probably say something about her past relationship with Barrett, so it's best to leave that alone.

Someone earlier mentioned guys like Ziggler/Barrett being stuck in "2010 next big star hell" but on that same note, my God do Randy Orton and Sheamus ever feel out of place.  They really just need to grab John Cena, Kane and Big Show and leave my television screen forever.

Someone earlier mentioned guys like Ziggler/Barrett being stuck in "2010 next big star hell" but on that same note, my God do Randy Orton and Sheamus ever feel out of place.  They really just need to grab John Cena, Kane and Big Show and leave my television screen forever.

I started to joke that they should create a WWE Senior Circuit show for the network, then I realized it would probably be cheaper to just buy TNA.

• Like 1

PS it's been bugging me for a while, who is in Big E's twitter avatar?

Shabba Ranks

Awesome, thanks! Quickly looked up his wiki for info and this stood out:

In 1992, during an appearance on Channel Four music show The Word, he advocated for the death of homosexuals, and was subsequently condemned for his comments by presenter Mark Lamarr, who said "that's absolute crap and you know it".

:(

From the Observer:

Kazuchika Okada, whose IWGP title would probably be considered the No. 2 world title belt in pro wrestling today, was backstage at SummerSlam.

Okada also watched the show with Samoa Joe, who he was affiliated with from his TNA days when the two were linked together and he did the Okato gimmick that is so amazing in hindsight.

I can only imagine what he was thinking watching this. He was in G1, had a great match in ROH, surely heard about Takeover and is part of one of the top organizations in the world. I can only imagine what he thought of the bullshit finishes at Summerslam.

No one has posted a gif of Big E with his straps down shaking his pectoral money makers? That was hypnotic.

I think the WWE tried to do a MMA judges decision or something with the time keeper. That's the only thing that will make some sort of sense if they don't say the time keeper was told by Kane or someone to ring the bell early. Other than that you have to give it up to Taker for taking that beating. It was borderline elder abuse at one point.

Timing aside, Praise be Jon Stewart.

Amell was pretty good. I was surprised at his agility. They have to do an Arrow/Stardust match at Wrestlemania. I hope by then Amell gets himself some tights. He only looked marginally better than most guys on the indy's with the same outfit.

Paste as text people

Paste as text

Just corrected that, my bad.

Had friends over last night and I think the one likes Tamina as much as Rippa does.  Need to talk to her more about this, but when she was on TV she just wouldn't stop talking about her.  Between her reasons for liking Tamina and my amusement at how she interacts with Jojo, I think I'm starting to appreciate Tamina more and more.

Thinking about Stewart's run-in I didn't have a big issue with it.  No way should Cena win, and given the two times Seth was on Daily Show it kind of made sense.  It's hard to get past the awkward as fucking timing, but with edits it'll be fine.  And as amusing as it was on first viewing seeing 'Taker make that face to Brock, that was actually a bad call on his part.  He looked not only super old doing that but he looked like a pissed off old woman.  Can't believed I'm saying this about 'Taker of all people, but that just doesn't work at all on second viewing.  But the match itself was good aside from the finish.  I'm willing to see where they go with it tonight, but in a vacuum it is really strange.

All from Meltzer in today's update

--Regarding last night's audio show where we speculated that Paul Heyman may have come up with the finish of last night's Brock Lesnar match.  That was not the case.  The finish did change and was tweaked from whatever the original idea was, but it didn't come from Heyman.

--The idea that the cameras missed the tap originally by Undertaker was the idea.  Nobody was supposed to understand what was going on and then it would be revealed after that Lesnar really should have won, but only after Undertaker won first.

--The storyline is that Charles Robinson now recognizes that he blew the call in the main event.  That will be addressed most likely on the show.

No love for Rollins' Tanahashi cosplay, complete with gear, Sling Blade, High Fly Flow and being the ace of the promotion?

Loads of love from me. He was outstanding. A face Rollins main eventing is gonna be awesome down the line.

Two things in ring that were picked up by the mics: 1. Cena telling Rollins to stay away from his face 2. Ziggler snapping back at the ref when it sounded like the ref was going over the finish.

I can't wait for Steve Austin to shit on the springboard stunner on Tuesday morning. Totally ineffective and poor in execution, which could be said for the majority of Cena's moveset for years now. There is no stock left in the AA, everyone in the building expects a kick out even it's from a JTTS. I'm definitely over Cena's structure of a match in 2015, Cena's strikes have always been lacklustre but his ability to sell between the sticks has made up for his drawbacks, but even that was the shits last night. If you can't work because of your nose being in recovery and refuse a mask, don't sacrifice key components of the damn match. Seth looked like a goof not attacking the face from the offset. After meditating on it since last night, I think that annoyed me more than the finish.