DVDVR Message Board

That Pet Photos thread

MarcosLoura

• 2 weeks later...

Dad had to put one of his dogs down today.  She was 14 and one of her legs didn't work, so it was time.  She was the sweetest, gentlest dog I ever had the pleasure of meeting.  RIP Katy, your're chasing rabbits with the angels now.

BIyaBwn.jpg

• 4 months later...

Good Lord! Is she preggers? I will admit that among our clan Dr. Nikola and Jackpot are both over twenty pounds, but they are built for it.

We adopted Dot at age 3, but her "grandma" keeps in touch with us for whatever reason.  Recently we received 2 baby pictures of Dottie, taken in 2007, which means she was actually 4 when we adopted her!

12961620_1137829669611651_4718448073619512920428_1131123163615635_51495444179386

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My buddy's cat brought home a kitten last night.

He's an outside cat and he came home with a smol kitten, shepherded it inside and to the food dish, and then licked it clean.

I think his pet has a pet now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2014 at 1:49 AM, Robert C said:

Not the normal pet picture, but this was taken a couple weeks ago of Gypsy, my roughly 10 year old Bull Terrier/Pit Bull mix. 

rvizkxll.jpg

The opaque, white shapes in the X-ray are bullets.  The bottom right one is an intact 22 caliber.  The two large, amorphous shapes above that are presumably also 22 rounds that hit something hard before they lodged in place.  We've known about those for years.  I can feel the intact round in her left shoulder sometimes, but the other two are lodged deep in the muscle.

We were also aware of 3 others that don't show up in the picture.  A second, intact 22 was removed from her left shoulder during her spay.  She also has a wound on her left rear leg where another shot grazed her.  The third bullet that doesn't show up apparently went through her open mouth, clipped her lower jaw (shattering the left canine), and then exited just inside the jawbone.  Only small fragments of that round are still in her lower jaw.  The exit wound is still visible if you look for it.

What we didn't know about until this was taken is the smaller blob near the top of her skull.  Yet another bullet, this one lodged inside the skull at the top of her brain.  So, I've lived with this dog for 9 years now without realizing she had a freaking bullet in her brain. Yeah, I feel pretty dumb about that.

What's really amazing is that she apparently survived all that without medical treatment of any kind. Most likely she was shot while she was a stray, and we know she didn't receive any treatment after being picked up - at least until we had the one bullet removed 6 months later. 

We lost Gypsy back in October.  She was in the early stages of kidney failure when we first got her back in January 2006, and this year things finally got out of hand.  We kept her on fluids, and got her another good 6 months, but the last couple weeks she just cratered.  She was a wonderful dog to the end.  

I'm glad she got to spend her last couple years with our son.  She always loved kids, and finally having one in the house made her really happy.  She slept under his bassinet, or on our bed next to it, every night.  He's too young to remember her long term, of course, but he'll have lots of pictures of the two of them together.  

The vet was amazing.  We had an appointment to put her to sleep on Monday, but she absolutely crashed Sunday morning, and it really was time to let her go.  The vet came over Sunday afternoon, about an hour drive for her each way, and did it at our house.  Then she opened up the clinic so we could store Gypsy's body there to be cremated.  Wouldn't let us handle her body at the clinic, because she was worried we would get upset, so she handled everything, carrying a 60 pound weight despite her back barely letting her move.  And she refused to charge us anything for all that.  There's still some damn good people in the world.

The vet also removed one of the bullets from Gypsy's shoulder for me to keep.  Turns out they were .38 not .22.  She was one tough dog.

I was always paranoid about putting Gypsy's picture online while she was alive.  One of the fun things about owning a Katrina survivor, along with the heartworms and sometimes bizarre personality traits brought on by what they went through is that even now the original owners could claim the animal and we would have had no legal right to keep her.  That's happened to people even in the last couple years.  So anyway, I've attached a few now.  Spoilered for size

Spoiler

qGzBKLe.jpg

hsXEu9o.jpg

d3oUJv8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...