DVDVR Message Board

That Pet Photos thread

MarcosLoura

On 2/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, Zimbra said:

Sounds like he found the right family for him.  How are he and Rayven getting along?

Thank you. Sorry for not replying sooner. Rayven and Ralfie are getting there. The odd growl at one another and Rayven doesn't like been chased by him. It's taking getting used to for all of us: Rayven, Ralfie, me, my Dad and my Sister. We've never had two dogs at the same time before. Ralfie is the first boy dog. Ralfie is the oldest dog at the time we brought him home, he's nine years old. Tess was our first family dog, a Collie crossed with Rottweiler or Doberman. Tess was six to eight weeks when we brought her home, same for Rayven who is 100% all Jack Russell. Tess and Ralfie the Westie are rescue dogs, there wasn't a way to get one when we had Ray'.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Lovely seeing the pets we all have and the stories about them. I love animals. We currently have Rayven, Ralfie and two hamsters called Holly and Spud. The two hamsters in November 2020, Ralfie last month.

In my lifetime we've had:

Three dogs: Tess, Rayven and Ralfie.

Three guinea pigs: Coco, Patch and Rocky.

Six hamsters by my count including: Smoky, Fudge and the two new ones.

One rabbit: Flopsy.

Countless goldfish.

• Like 1

We have eight cats, when we moved, we lost Waldo, Varys, and Tyrion. Actually, Tyrion had sort of disappeared a couple of months before. Waldo would disappear for days and recently showed up wearing a new collar that we didn't get for him. Obviously double dipping with another family. When we moved, he took off and wouldn't come back. We spotted him sitting in the window of a house a few blocks down the street. Sandor disappeared in August, the whole gang went trooping outside to do the potty and patrol thing and everyone came back except Sandor, we didn't think much of it as he frequently would skip dinner (he was all about the dry food, and could have cared less about the canned stuff). When it got dark and he still hadn't come home we started to worry, the next day we put up flyers and called the Humane Society. The good news was that no one had reported him being hit by a car, the bad news was that he just vanished. We figure that someone took him. All of our cats run from other people EXCEPT Sandor, who was just too damn friendly. He wound up going on a three-hour drive with our neighbor as he just hopped in their car and took a nap in the backseat. He was also the one cat who wouldn't wear a collar, he'd find ways to pull it off within minutes. So add up too friendly, no collar and it seems very likely that someone just called him over and away he went. He brought us a lot of joy for the five years he was with us and hopefully he's in a nice home now. We miss him, but it's really amazing how everyone else mellowed out once it was clear he was gone. Apparently he was constantly challenging Jackpot and Seven and intimidating Cersei and Sansa. Odd how one cat can have such a negative effect on the whole group.

Anyway the breakdowns are:

Jorkens - 17 (the last Seattle cat)

Sumuru - 13 (the psycho, if we'd known what she was going to be like it would have been a hard pass. Now we feel sorry for her and realize that she just has to live out her days with us. No one would adopt her and they would wind up putting her down, so we'll just put up with her.

Jackpot & Seven - 8 The big boys, born in Las Vegas as our neighbor wasn't sure that Bella (their mom) would know what to do. It was absolutely hilarious watching this 6 '4 280 lb. former marine freaking out over four kittens. Ramsey ended up keeping one, gave us two and the fourth went to a friend of his. When we got them both boys would fit in my palms, now Jackpot is 21 lbs and Seven is around 19.5. Jackpot is totally Kathy's cat and Seven is my boy. Jackpot is the boss of the entire gang and rules with an iron paw. If he's not getting his way (like getting to go outside, having cat treats or whatever) he'll make everyone miserable by randomly attacking the other cats.

Cersei - 7 My baby girl. Just the sweetest little thing. 

Sansa - 6 The screamer. Noisiest cat that I've ever seen. Howls just to hear herself howl. 

All of the above except Sumuru are all black. Which brings us to the babies (who turn two in May)

Spike - A B & W tuxedo cat, far too smart for his own good. 

Arya - I guess you would call her a tortoiseshell. Everyone else is definitely a shorthair, Arya moves well into medium length territory. Hell, she looks like she could be part Maine Coon, but we know that isn't the case.

We did have four clown loaches and two plecos, but sadly their bag sprung a leak as we went through Utah and they didn't make it. I was so bummed that I tossed the tank and all related equipment in the motel dumpster and just said "fuck it" as far as tropical fish are concerned. The clown loaches had grown to between five and six inches in length from around two inches when we got them. As two inchers they cost around $7.50 each as five-six inchers you're looking at $35.00 each. Once they get that big, barring stupid shit like their bag getting punctured, they are pretty much set . They might have to deal with a bout of ick, but at this size they'll tolerate the medicine with no problem. 

Now that Kathy has a new phone we need to take some cat pics...

• Like 1

Sunny came in on Monday with all kinds of notes on his chart like "Not nice!" and "Can't be handled"

But here he is after purring his way through my brushing all of the mats out of his fur, so I'm skeptical:

Z0O2d6E.jpg

He looks remarkably like my cat Dolce who passed away suddenly many years back so I am having some Feelings about him.

• Like 1

Had to put my sweet girl Lily to sleep yesterday. She was almost 13, so she had a good long life for a Lab but I still bawled like a baby. I cared more about that dog than I care about most people. 

If you ever find yourself thinking of getting a family pet, you absolutely can't go wrong with a Labrador. They're the perfect dog. Decent lifespan (12-13 years), big but not gigantic (70-100 lbs typically), very easy to train (there's a reason you see mostly labs as service dogs) and extremely good natured (poor Lily would get mauled by my sister's kids when they were little and she took it without even growling). 

• Sad 6

11 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Had to put my sweet girl Lily to sleep yesterday. She was almost 13, so she had a good long life for a Lab but I still bawled like a baby. I cared more about that dog than I care about most people. 

If you ever find yourself thinking of getting a family pet, you absolutely can't go wrong with a Labrador. They're the perfect dog. Decent lifespan (12-13 years), big but not gigantic (70-100 lbs typically), very easy to train (there's a reason you see mostly labs as service dogs) and extremely good natured (poor Lily would get mauled by my sister's kids when they were little and she took it without even growling). 

So sorry, @BrianS81177. I can relate to caring more for a dog than most people as I'm like that with Rayven. We've had some wonderful pets but Rayven is truly special. My condolences to you.

Today marks a month since we took Ralfie in. This dog was left in a box and so bony. I hated humans that day and the day after. I'm going to post photos of how he was and how he is now. The before here and a warning, you may not want to.

Spoiler

150041739_4413217332027935_1984322855434

149472823_4413216475361354_3552880836160

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Today marks a month since we took Ralfie in. This dog was left in a box and so bony. I hated humans that day and the day after. I'm going to post photos of how he was and how he is now. Here's the now:

Reveal hidden contents

149648839_4413217128694622_2763225569763

149522248_4413216382028030_5793446247906

Well, you sure saved his life! He looks absolutely adorable.

• Thanks 1

Check out this cat, she's like 90% fluff by volume:

bCNgIk1.jpg

That's Nellie.  Her owner died and she is not happy about being here.  

Also, Taz.  He's got an ear infection so he looks a little manky but he's a purr machine

OPRekdh.jpg

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But is he lazy?  

A Kevin Nash Cat would be sooooi lazy.   His paws have some of the laziest wrestling boots to fill.

The Maine Coon(?) named Nellie reminds me so much of the three furry mush machines I have had over the years.  I only have pics of the latter two.  I promise to return soon with pictures of my two current cats.  I have shared home with 15 cats in total over the course of my 44 years.  There were a few more but they just had a little kitty cup of coffee here in between whatever stops they made on their travels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

But is he lazy?  

A Kevin Nash Cat would be sooooi lazy.   His paws have some of the laziest wrestling boots to fill.

The Maine Coon(?) named Nellie reminds me so much of the three furry mush machines I have had over the years.  I only have pics of the latter two.  I promise to return soon with pictures of my two current cats.  I have shared home with 15 cats in total over the course of my 44 years.  There were a few more but they just had a little kitty cup of coffee here in between whatever stops they made on their travels.

Very, very lazy. I was out in the yard yesterday and he lay behind me for 5 hours. Other neighbourhood cats came and went and he just stared at them.

On 4/1/2021 at 4:16 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

03833-F25-2-FA6-4-B62-96-F7-BF763-D1-DA7

this is Alfie. He is 5. He is a total prick but is also very, very cool. He’s the Kevin Nash of cats.

He has the "Fuck you, feed me!" look down pat. I assume that he ignored the other neighborhood cats because they were just vanilla midgets that couldn't take his spot.

• Haha 3

Tx3OSwN.jpg

Maggot Ass looking a bit evil on the back porch the other night. She was eyeballing me cause I had a bag of chips and after getting a few the other week she now knows the sound of a chip bag and will wake up out of a dead sleep and come running if she hears a chip bag.

• Like 1

Today is exactly three months since we brought Ralfie Clay home.

This is how Ralfie was, bony and skeletal as some bastard dumped him:

173463513_10158181822068862_171115340479

Now:

173261628_10158181824593862_291383884697

Fluffy after just having a bath a few days ago. You'd think it was two different dogs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

163178808_4530945833588417_4262800515825

I expected bad news this week but it was even worse. Rayven has a tumor and there's a high percentage that it's an aggressive cancer. The Rayven means so much to me and my family. Rayven is so loving, friendly and loyal. Really hope it's not what it's said to be...

• Sad 3