DVDVR Message Board

That Pet Photos thread

MarcosLoura

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Get well soon, Stick.

Thanks!  He's no longer wheezing and tries to eat his weight in canned food every time I see him so I think he's on the mend.

Also I'm pretty sure he's part Maine Coon.  Either that or part squirrel

p08cXqe.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, Zimbra said:

Thanks!  He's no longer wheezing and tries to eat his weight in canned food every time I see him so I think he's on the mend.

Also I'm pretty sure he's part Maine Coon.  Either that or part squirrel

p08cXqe.jpg

That is one hell of a tail.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With my mother-in-law passing away she had two cats that we had to decide what to do with.  So for a few weeks I'd take turns with my brother-in-law going to her house and feeding the cats.  Well as I'm clearing some of the stuff out for my wife the one cat darted out the door and was gone.  I felt horrible letting her run out but they told me that she was always an outdoor cat who took care of four kittens in the snow.  And since she probably knew it was either stay in an empty house or adoption she decided to take her chances in the wild.  I was hoping somebody on a farm or something would take her but that unfortunately is not meant to be.  And after a few days with her not taking the food we left outside we knew that she decided to go elsewhere.  But they're oddly okay with it since they'll know she can take care of herself.

As for the other cat we took him and he has been at our house for a week.  After isolating in a room for a week (wife's idea) we're letting him roam around.  The poor guy is still getting used to everything but luckily has grown so attached to me that he always wants to be by my side.  He's an adorable little thing and we're hoping with a more structured diet he'll lose weight that was gained due to my mother-in-law overfeeding him all these years.  His name is Oliver and I'm a lot happier to have him than I initially thought I would be.

EnriM8rWMAIcSq2?format=jpg&name=largeEnriNjSXUAE0Fc4?format=jpg&name=largeEnriNPmW8AIcfgu?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

With my mother-in-law passing away she had two cats that we had to decide what to do with.  So for a few weeks I'd take turns with my brother-in-law going to her house and feeding the cats.  Well as I'm clearing some of the stuff out for my wife the one cat darted out the door and was gone.  I felt horrible letting her run out but they told me that she was always an outdoor cat who took care of four kittens in the snow.  And since she probably knew it was either stay in an empty house or adoption she decided to take her chances in the wild.  I was hoping somebody on a farm or something would take her but that unfortunately is not meant to be.  And after a few days with her not taking the food we left outside we knew that she decided to go elsewhere.  But they're oddly okay with it since they'll know she can take care of herself.

As for the other cat we took him and he has been at our house for a week.  After isolating in a room for a week (wife's idea) we're letting him roam around.  The poor guy is still getting used to everything but luckily has grown so attached to me that he always wants to be by my side.  He's an adorable little thing and we're hoping with a more structured diet he'll lose weight that was gained due to my mother-in-law overfeeding him all these years.  His name is Oliver and I'm a lot happier to have him than I initially thought I would be.

EnriM8rWMAIcSq2?format=jpg&name=largeEnriNjSXUAE0Fc4?format=jpg&name=largeEnriNPmW8AIcfgu?format=jpg&name=large

Aww, what a sweet-looking cat! Here's to Oliver having many happy years with you!

• Thanks 2

This is Houdini, The Saddest Cat In The World:

nRRuYat.jpeg

She's been at the center for almost two months now and is still super-shy and mostly just huddles in a corner.  She likes the morning caretaker guy, but not really anyone else.

Until last night when she did this:

OfqhjZa.jpeg

When I came in she immediately came out of hiding and rubbed against me and wanted pets.  And then wanted to stick her nose in my nostril

f54cvMA.jpeg

Like, over and over again.  She was really getting up there.  Lil weirdo.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Logan is the birthday boy

uTKCnkj.jpg

Also the most handsomest boy:

DhhlWp1.jpg

He got adopted out this summer and then returned due to developing IBS.  We finally found some meds that work to control it so hopefully he should be getting adopted out permanently soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rayven's ears just take me out every time.

We had this big dingus in the shelter last week and he is the biggest sweetheart in the world.  He'll meow until you pick him up and carry him around while he smooshes that big round face into you.  

Even better I got some friends of mine adopted him so I may continue to visit and get face smooshes

Sf2X9nc.jpg

• Like 1

Rayven's ears are her trademark. The early months her ears stayed down but now they're always up. It's only thing on her that changed colours going from black with brown trim to fully brown.

12235065_10153221027018862_7447351269921

9th October 2015. The day we brought her home.

100748953_10157427231743862_347483756993

May 2020.

• Like 1

139109336_4324964070853262_1481127841118

What an eventful day. This dog was found dumped and whoever did has clearly mistreated him as he's so bony. Never seen animal cruelty in person and it fucking sucks. Got in touch with my Aunty who has a dog business and she talked us through the legal things. We'll find out if the dog belongs to anyone and you can have 28 days of fostering to see how the dog gets on with us. My Sister has given him a name, Ralfie.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Rayven's ears just take me out every time.

We had this big dingus in the shelter last week and he is the biggest sweetheart in the world.  He'll meow until you pick him up and carry him around while he smooshes that big round face into you.  

Even better I got some friends of mine adopted him so I may continue to visit and get face smooshes

Sf2X9nc.jpg

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that all of these shelter cats (which implies abandoned strays) look like they eat pretty damn well. This guy looks to be between the size of Seven and Jackpot, and I know why they are huge, Seven loves people food, especially Church's Chicken and he'll eat a whole thigh by himself. Jackpot feigns disinterest, but if left alone with a drumstick, the meat mysteriously disappears. Now here's a funny thing, none of our cats (except Jorkens who was born in Seattle) show any interest in seafood. Now I'm no scientist, (where's Naimark when you need him), but logic would indicate that these New Mexico cats going back many generations have never been exposed to seafood, thus it's just not in their DNA to get all excited about shrimp, salmon, cod, turbot, tuna, etc. We used to get the really tiny shrimp as a treat for the gang in Seattle and I'm tellin ya, Capt Nemo and Dr Nikola would rip through a pound of that shit in nothing flat. Only thing that makes sense is that these high desert guys (going back many generations) have just never been exposed to seafood and thus never developed the innate craving for it that our sea-level gang had.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that all of these shelter cats (which implies abandoned strays) look like they eat pretty damn well. This guy looks to be between the size of Seven and Jackpot, and I know why they are huge, Seven loves people food, especially Church's Chicken and he'll eat a whole thigh by himself. Jackpot feigns disinterest, but if left alone with a drumstick, the meat mysteriously disappears. Now here's a funny thing, none of our cats (except Jorkens who was born in Seattle) show any interest in seafood. Now I'm no scientist, (where's Naimark when you need him), but logic would indicate that these New Mexico cats going back many generations have never been exposed to seafood, thus it's just not in their DNA to get all excited about shrimp, salmon, cod, turbot, tuna, etc. We used to get the really tiny shrimp as a treat for the gang in Seattle and I'm tellin ya, Capt Nemo and Dr Nikola would rip through a pound of that shit in nothing flat. Only thing that makes sense is that these high desert guys (going back many generations) have just never been exposed to seafood and thus never developed the innate craving for it that our sea-level gang had.

There are a couple of reasons for that: mainly that my favorite cats are big ol' toms, so that's mostly what I post pictures of.  A fair few of them are also surrenders instead of being on the street.  And the cats that I take care of are almost all transfers from humane societies in rural Wisconsin, so they've all got at least a week of care in them before they get to me.  

If you want the other end of the spectrum Sunshine here is a little under 4 pounds and couldn't get spayed this week because she was too teeny and dehydrated.  So we're on a mission to fatten her up.  However she's a social eater so I have to stand there next to her condo and talk to her to get her to eat.

ZDgRui2.jpg

She's lucky that she's cute because she's a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Caliban has been with us for about a week, but because he showed up with his balls and without FeLV and FIV tests he had to be quarantined in a room.  He finally got snipped and tested Monday and got the all clear so he finally could come out into the center.  And because he's a wild boy all he wants to do is tear ass around the center.  Except his nuts are still sore so he ends up trying to bunny hop with his back legs and then this happens:

And I don't like to brag but he loooooves me

sj5Oet1.jpg

• Like 2

Adorable photo. Great when your pet snuggles up to you like that.

We're still looking after Ralfie, he's put on some much needed weight. Took him to a vets a few weeks back (closest to us with the snow) to find he was microchipped. The vets lost the details for the dog warden so we went to our usual vets yesterday for that. Just a waiting game to see what happens.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Aww, Ralfie is looking so much better already!

Cheers, mate. Such a difference from where Ralfie was on the 14th of January when we took him in to the 1st of February. Went to pick Ralfie up yesterday and he's gained weight which he needed as he was so bony. I hated humanity the first two days we had Ralfie seeing the skeleton state he was in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, mate. Such a difference from where Ralfie was on the 14th of January when we took him in to the 1st of February. Went to pick Ralfie up yesterday and he's gained weight which he needed as he was so bony. I hated humanity the first two days we had Ralfie seeing the skeleton state he was in.

Sounds like he found the right family for him.  How are he and Rayven getting along?

• Like 2