DVDVR Message Board

caley

I think Season Three really did a great job having some neat experimentation, from the use of alternate narrative tools in episodes 4 and 11 to going into difficult topics in 6 and just straight up dropping a flashback episode in the 2nd episode. There were some really bold narrative choices made both in terms of format and delivery.

I love that Diane getting an abortion isn't a source of drama and is never questioned as being anything other than her choice and a valid one. I love that Todd comes out as Asexual and at least initially that's fine because it's just defining who Todd already was. Stuff like this is usually milked for cheap drama and it wasn't here which I appreciate.

Flipping the abortion issue to be about the insane media circus surrounding it made total sense and I dug it. 'Get dat fetus, kill dat fetus' made me fall over laughing. In general this was one of the funnier seasons of Bojack.

The episode framing Princess Carolyn's firm as the bad guys was so great. Bojack gets a chance to do what he wants *and* make amends and this time when it all goes to shit it genuinely isn't his fault. After so many failures of his own, seeing it pulled out from under him like that hurt. Especially since you can point to that as the moment he's screwed. If he was working on the film, maybe the Oscar nom wouldn't have been such a big deal. But that ended up being all he had because of Princess Carolyn's mistake. The bottle episode where they talk it out is rough but excellent too.

Then you get the two big twists. The whole season feels like it's building to Bojack getting the win or at least the nom and nothing really changing. But in the end he comes up short of even that first step and the whole thing goes sideways. It's such a clever bait and switch. It feels like it should have been obvious but I just didn't expect them to upend the narrative that way. Then they make you think you're seeing Sarah Lynn's tragic overdose death. They do the big moment of realization and...nope, just bored. I guess it's not that story. Unless it is and they're just going to make you feel that gut churning dread twice.

God this season was good. The ending was soft-ish but this show always peaks at 11 and uses 12 as the come down so it's no big shock at this point.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Hide contents

Then they make you think you're seeing Sarah Lynn's tragic overdose death. They do the big moment of realization and...nope, just bored. I guess it's not that story. Unless it is and they're just going to make you feel that gut churning dread twice.

That tease worked on a different level for me.

Spoiler

I came away a little unsatisfied because the end of S3 didn't have the impact that the end of S2 did for me, specifically (of course) S2E11, where I was watching with my hands over my mouth.  A character's death should have more of an impact than what happened in S2E11, but it didn't.  But reflecting on it, I think that may have been exactly the point.  It's sad that it didn't have more of an impact.  Bojack's speech in episode 12 about how everyone expected this to happen is pretty much making that point.

And so I think that the purpose of teasing her death was to deaden the eventual impact for the viewer just a little, to put the idea in our heads that it could happen, and to make us part of that group of people that all saw it coming.

• 1 year later...

I liked a lot of season two, unfortunately some of the writing felt like a cheat.  Bojack's breakdown at the end felt unearned. It seemed like the writers wanted Bojack in a certain place and was going to force him there. It also felt like they retconned the bit in season 2 with the deer girl whose name I am blanking on. Season 2 was more vague on what was happening. In season 3 he was treated like a sexual predator.

That said comedy wise, it is top shelf. 

On 7/30/2016 at 4:02 PM, TheVileOne said:

Does Vincent Adultman make a return in season 3?

I just started binge watching the show due to my son somehow thinking that 4am is now wake-up time. In any case, Vincent Adultman is my fucking favorite. Doing a business.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2015 at 3:54 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I said this on the July TV thread, but it bears repeating:  Vincent is a joke that absolutely should not work for more than one scene, and yet every ep with him made me laugh so hard I thought I'd get hypoxia-induced brain damage.  

In the hands of worse writers, Vincent Adultman would be terrible. I think the Family Guy writers would beat the joke into the ground. In the world of Bojack, Vincent Adultman showing up randomly every few episodes and going to the stock market and doing a business is fucking gold.

I ended up binging the whole season last night without realizing it.  Episodes 2, 6, and 11 were really standouts.

Episode 2

You find out that Bojack's grandmother went "hysterical" from Crackerjack being killed in WW2 and his grandfather had her lobotomized. And in a moment of clarity, she tells his mom never to love anyone and that's why she was always so damn cold to Bojack. That was some heavy damn stuff just for the second episode

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Putting aside all the usual pathos and experimentation and heart put into the show, there are two bits that got me to laugh harder than any person should.

Spoiler

1) The farce that ended with the father begging Todd to stick his dick inside the barrel of lube. You've see that bit a million times, but never like that.

2) Move over, Vincent Adultman. Henry Fondle is here and I found it impossible not to laugh at him. Even though it was mostly the same joke over and over again, but gradually heightened. 

I am a child.