DVDVR Message Board

caley

So I just finished watching Season 2 and want to talk about it and I think it deserves its own thread!

I honestly can't remember the last time a show that's a comedy had so many poignant moments, but not mawkish ones.  Like it seems absolutely ridiculous to say this, in a show with talking animals and a character named Mr. Peanut Butter, but the show really is so much more than an animated comedy. 

And I love the way everything pays off, like the orangutan they show running up the hill in almost every episode past Bojack's house and he finally speaks in the last episode of Season 2 and says this deeply important mantra.

I love this show. I honestly didnt know what to expect when I watched it last year. I certainly wasn't expecting some of the more crippling depressing moments that happened. I thought season two was a little weaker especially with how they rushed a couple of characters out.

The thing about BoJack is he could be any number of washed up 80's and 90's tv actors. I personally think they molded Horsin Around after Charles in Charge so there's a huge comparison to be made between Bojack and Scott Baio. Hell at one point, Scott Baio was banging every hot up and coming actress in Hollywoo. He was the Wilmer Valderrama of his day.

Cant wait to see what they do for season 3. Just prepare yourself for episode 11. The people that run the show love to drop the emotional bombs in that episode.

Only saw the first episode and it was pretty amusing.  Definitely saw the theme of him being in an old show and the aftermath, but stopped watching.  I guess it's due to having a lot to watch and having to choose which shows to stick with.  But going by this thread so far I think I'm going to need to make time for this.  Thanks, guys.

It took a few episodes for this to really click for me, but when it did it grabbed me hard.

I think my favorite episode is the game show. It hits the series' themes a little too on-the-nose, but it's still really powerful when BoJack and Mr. PB finally have their confrontation. It's also hilarious because of the sheer lunacy of the game show itself, and Daniel Radcliffe being awesome.

Only saw the first episode and it was pretty amusing.  Definitely saw the theme of him being in an old show and the aftermath, but stopped watching.  I guess it's due to having a lot to watch and having to choose which shows to stick with.  But going by this thread so far I think I'm going to need to make time for this.  Thanks, guys.

It becomes a very different show.  I watched the first episode about a year back and went "Ah, the alcoholic former TV star who is sarcastic, I think I've seen this premise like 12 times" and wrote it off.  Then went back to it for no reason and it really struck me.  What I love about it is that characters that are basically introduced as joke-y caricatures (Mr. Peanut Butter, the dense but positive counter-point to Bojack; the indie lesbian filmmaker; the careeer-obsessed agent Princess Caroline; Todd, the stoner roomate) later reveal these moments of hidden depths that really hit home emotionally.

I think the scene where Mr. Peanut Butter sees Diane in the restaurant and calls her is one of the saddest and yet sweetest things I've ever seen on TV. Just a perfect moment between two people. I think the show really deserves a lot of credit for never taking the easy route on anything. The show could be funny but lazy, but the writers are constantly striving to really push the characters in new and interesting and profoundly human ways. 

• Like 3

I think the scene where Mr. Peanut Butter sees Diane in the restaurant and calls her is one of the saddest and yet sweetest things I've ever seen on TV. Just a perfect moment between two people. I think the show really deserves a lot of credit for never taking the easy route on anything. The show could be funny but lazy, but the writers are constantly striving to really push the characters in new and interesting and profoundly human ways. 

Loved that scene, never expected it to end up so sweet after their difficulties.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I love the scene where Diane is passed out on Bojack's balcony and Wanda says "Aw she looks so peaceful, I wonder if she's dreaming about overstaying her welcome" and Bojack says "I really thought the other day when she got the wine delivered to the place that it was going to be a thank-you gift and she'd leave, but instead she drank the wine and stayed five more days."

Amy Shumuer should have watched Season 2 of Bojack Horseman to get pointers on how to do a comedy-drama. Nothing in Bojack feels forced and its a good balance. In Trainwreck I felt like Amy was trying to prove that she can be more than just a comedian and because of this fact, she turned her film into a Michael bay-like turn for the worse by adding all of these un-needed 'dramatic' scenes making for a longer (and duller) movie. Bojack nails the formula and is definitely worth a second watch, which I will get around to later this summer.

I said this on the July TV thread, but it bears repeating:  Vincent is a joke that absolutely should not work for more than one scene, and yet every ep with him made me laugh so hard I thought I'd get hypoxia-induced brain damage.  

It's really a series of incredibly well-told and well-written jokes.  I still like to think Vincent really is a an adult with a kid out of wedlock with a very childlike voice/build.

I said this on the July TV thread, but it bears repeating:  Vincent is a joke that absolutely should not work for more than one scene, and yet every ep with him made me laugh so hard I thought I'd get hypoxia-induced brain damage.  

It's really a series of incredibly well-told and well-written jokes.  I still like to think Vincent really is a an adult with a kid out of wedlock with a very childlike voice/build.

I really hope they address it more next season. But the back and forth in that episode in season 2 (those who have seen it know which scene I'm talking about) had me cracking up so hard.

The thing with Bojack though is he really dives deep into the crippling loneliness that people can have. The guy is set for life off the royalties from his show and hes all alone despite being surrounded by people.

I'm honestly surprised Bojack and Diane didn't have a drunken one night stand during the season

I think the best thing about this show character wise is how decent of a person Mr. Peanutbutter is. That above mentioned scene in the bar was really great. This show deserves way more than best animinated accolades. It's easily one of the best shows on television period.

The second season is one of the best seasons of any television show ever. The first season took a little while to hit their stride, it suffered too much from Adult Swim style "how long can we drag out this gag" humor that's been done to death. But by the last few episodes you could see something special was coming together, and the finale was heartbreakingly beautiful. And then season 2 took that and ran with it into an entirely different level of being completely honest about the sweetest but more often most painful moments of being alive. It's one of the most humanizing shows I've ever seen... and more than half of the characters aren't even humans.

Have only seen season 1, but the imdb ratings for the individual episodes are actually pretty indicative of the season's quality, by which I mean it's kind of an entertaining show, nothing special, until the "D" Story episode, which runs into the Princess Caroline ep and the Herb Kazzaz ep, and it's really then that I realized that this was a show with real characters, who have emotional lives and development, their own goals, and are capable of learning, changing, etc. Can't wait to watch season two. Want to get the wife into it. Dunno if I should just start her off with season two or try to get her to watch the previous season first.

• 11 months later...

Figured I'd bump this since Season 3 is up.

I watched the first 4 episodes last night which is rare since I never binge that quickly. I'm sure there are some diehards who did the whole damn season all ready.

I'm just going to say Episode 4 might be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Spoiler

It's the underwater episode. Essentially under the pacific is like going to Japan. Watch it with the captions on. It builds up to one of the best jokes ever on this show and any show. Also never give a thumbs up to a fish.

Also making my way through season 3.  If I'd seen a one-sentence summary of what episode 6 is about, I would've been like "No fucking way."  But against all odds, it actually worked.  That joke with the "It's A Boy!" balloon, wow.

• Like 1

Yeah I finished the season last night. But that episode 6. You couldn't even pitch that for a network. The balloon was so wrong but also so Mr. Peanutbutter.

Speaking of Mr. Peanutbutter

Spoiler

Episode 10 we meet his brother Captain Peanutbutter. The family name is Peanutbutter. I did not realize that. Captain's pup's calling him UNCLE MISTER had me cracking the hell up. This also makes Diane, Diane Peanutbutter.

The show was really good this season. It really needs to be nominated for an Emmy or two. Especially epsiode 4.

Also, episode 11 as usually be prepared for the roller coaster ride.

As much as I loved the first two seasons, season three was a disappointment. I guess the Rescue Me syndrome set in; watching life kick the shit out of the protagonist eventually just gets too miserable to watch, but if you fix them the show's over.