DVDVR Message Board

The most obscure, random stuff you've found on comps

A pristine version of Jerry Lewis' "The Day the Clown Cried" pops up in the middle of my Last Battle of Atlanta tape.

That's a coincidence.  I was watching Gotch-Hackenschmidt II the other day and what should be at the end but the directors' cut of "The Magnificent Ambersons."

• Like 4

About eight years ago, someone was selling a bunch of VHS tapes in the WO daily update. I bought some random comp tapes with helpful names of "WCW Supermatches 15" for a few bucks. It ended uup being clipped matches from random WCW Saturday Night/Pro episodes Dec 97 to July 98. (Full catalogue: http://mookieghana.livejournal.com/313604.html )

The good stuff was Fit/Regal and CIMA/Ultimo, but the random was just WCWtastic with "Raven/Horace vs Saturn/Van Hammer" and "Public Enemy vs Jim Neidhart/British Bulldog" (75% dead).

Random: I also remember at the end of Ted DiBiase Shoot Tape, he goes off on "trashy storyline-based wrestling" while acknowledging they came to speak to Ted the Wrestler, not Ted the Preacher. Of course, immediately after the interview is the sleaziest promo for "RF VIDEO WOMEN'S CATFIGHTS". Huzzah.

There was a comp I bought once which was basically a collection of weird things that happened in wrestling, that features among other things a tag team midget electrified barbed wire deathmatch which featured no blood and a lot of comedy, and I think it was in one of the Joshi companies for some reason. I'm 99% sure it also had the Psychosis match mentioned above with the flaming bat, and the early ECW match where Mike Awesome almost killed JT Smith on a suicide dive by almost snapping him in half on the guardrail. That was one sleazy comp. Man, the things I bought with money when I was 16.

I think this is the tape that was widely circulated as "The Most Horrific Moments In Wrestling" - I used to have it. Just a mix of earlier ECW stuff and Japanese stuff - I think it also had Pogo vs. Funk, the match with Kanemura catching fire, a "Cobra" death match, etc . It was sort of the equivalent of the Faces of Death videos back then. I remember getting word of it and asking my Mom to use her credit card to order it. 

A friend of mine traded with some dude in I think Arizona.  He included some comp tape that had random outtakes or bloopers on it including something like "guys' ball falls out during a sunset flip".  Anyway there was Arizona indy wrestilng on there, and we are talking like mid-late 90s.  There was some guy doing a time traveler gimmick or something that cut rambling horrible promos & there was a match with him from I think a baseball field that I seem to remember was a tag match with one guy in it that was a former name (forget who).  It was soooo horribly bad that my friend wrote him back & said if you ever send me any of this again, don't include any of the Time Traveler stuff.  Turns out that was him.  Good times!

There was a comp I bought once which was basically a collection of weird things that happened in wrestling, that features among other things a tag team midget electrified barbed wire deathmatch which featured no blood and a lot of comedy, and I think it was in one of the Joshi companies for some reason. I'm 99% sure it also had the Psychosis match mentioned above with the flaming bat, and the early ECW match where Mike Awesome almost killed JT Smith on a suicide dive by almost snapping him in half on the guardrail. That was one sleazy comp. Man, the things I bought with money when I was 16.

I think this is the tape that was widely circulated as "The Most Horrific Moments In Wrestling" - I used to have it. Just a mix of earlier ECW stuff and Japanese stuff - I think it also had Pogo vs. Funk, the match with Kanemura catching fire, a "Cobra" death match, etc . It was sort of the equivalent of the Faces of Death videos back then. I remember getting word of it and asking my Mom to use her credit card to order it. 

Probably also had that Invader match in Puerto Rico where he takes the top rope knee drop and spits up a fucking geyser of blood.

Oh lord, the horrific moments of wrestling tape. It was so exciting back in the day, exactly like that Faces of Death shit. I had this 4th or 5th generation tape that was so crappy it almost seemed like those old encoded TV stations, but I have really clear memories of doing frame-by-frame of that Invader shit, or Mass fucking Transit.

The highlight of my entire wrestling collection is that Antichristo promo on a Schneider comp. I'm just saying.

Also I have weird shit in my video cabinet like an entire SAT comp. That is way too much Maximo for a single tape.

Brian XL.

I have a Maximo comp too, the Best of The Amazing Red and the SAT which may be worse depending on how you feel about Red.

I actually have a few different Red comps.

Yeah, that might be the one. Lots of JAPW stuff. Actually I used to love the shit out of that tape, especially Red. Looking back ten years later, though, a lot of stuff in my video cabinet is kind of like those old shows I used to love as a kid but can't sit through now, like McGyver. Why do I have Tough Enough season 1? :P

I would dig a DVDVR Community Comp.  Who would/could hook that up?

What exactly do you mean?  Like, wacky stuff only us DVDVR folk would appreciate?

I'm not sure what he meant either but I bought/traded for a comp tape off this site a long long time ago (it was back around the time Lance Storm was upset over the DVD500) and after the comp, the last two hours were filled with a public access wrestling talk show. It was three guys taking phone calls and discussing internet rumors; one wore a lucha mask, one was an extremely sarcastic buff dude and a nondescript third man.

I come to find out, the dude wearing a lucha mask was Dean and I think one of the others (the buff dude?) was Rippa.

So maybe that's what he's talking about...

Sorry, lost track of this tread for some reason.

It's a "perfect world" scenario, we'd all dig in the comps we own, find that one random thing that's just awesome/ hilarious/ bizarre, be it a lost classic four star match, crazy lucha sketch, JCP Road Warriors murder promo, botchamania type stuff etc. We'd all send that one thing in to a comp DVD maker, it gets compiled, bam, two discs, $15.