DVDVR Message Board

"One-Hit Wonder" Actors/Actors who never made it

ArtVanderlay

Sanaa maybe needs to do what Vivica did:  tape an episode of Unsung Hollywood so she can try to humanize herself and get folks to see past the gossip columns.

I have a bad feeling that it would backfire and people would find out just how much of an asshole Sanaa really is.  The only people they could find to say good things about her would be Michael Ealy or Taye Diggs and that would be out of pure professionalism.

I want to hear what Omar Epps would have to say about her crazy ass.  That shit would be epic.

The thing is people view Unsung and Unsung Hollywood like they use to do with Celebrity Rehab and Celebrity Fit Club in that it's for has-beens. However, I will say Sanaa is a couple crow's feet and one bad career move from being on Hollywood Divas with Elise Neal, Countess Vaughn, and those other women people barely remember.

As far as Aisha Tyler goes, I think there are a bunch of actresses right now who will take her longevity over starring in a few movies and fading away.

• Like 1

I was going to mention Fred Savage as a big child star who never went on to do anything, then remembered he was dead and went to imdb to double check.  Turns out he's still alive and has been working steadily with a lot of tv and voice acting work.  TMYK.

To her credit I have never seen Sanaa slumming it in a Wendy's commercial, hosting a game show, or making a guest star appearance on some daytime soap.. 

At least she has high standards and is smart enough to realize that black centric cinema keeps her light bill paid.

To her credit I have never seen Sanaa slumming it in a Wendy's commercial, hosting a game show, or making a guest star appearance on some daytime soap.. 

At least she has high standards and is smart enough to realize that black centric cinema keeps her light bill paid.

I'm just surprised there isn't a young black filmmaker who wants her to star in an indie project solely based on the fact she was in Love & Basketball fifteen years ago. There probably is one, but she might consider herself above doing crowdfunded stuff.

She's at an integral point where she has to marry a baller soon or start willing to be eighth or ninth on the call sheet like Thandie Newton doing this Westworld show.

Obviously I'm stretching the terms of the discussion, but I'm surprised that Aisha Tyler never got a step higher on the celebrity ladder. Like, at least some slim supporting roles in big screen comedies or something.

What, hosting E3 isn't "a step higher"????

Honestly, I'm surprised about what happened to Nick Stahl.  I remember he was getting a lot of attention for In the Bedroom, and on that he booked Terminator 3.  I think he sort of fits the profile.  

After that he did Yellow Bastard in Sin City, and he kind of fell off the map after that.  He's kind of fallen on hard times as of late.

• Like 1

Obviously I'm stretching the terms of the discussion, but I'm surprised that Aisha Tyler never got a step higher on the celebrity ladder. Like, at least some slim supporting roles in big screen comedies or something.

Hey she's Lana FUCKING Kane. . . . 

I definitely thought that Eric Bana was gonna be, like, Brad Pitt big. A solid A-lister. While THE HULK was definitely a misstep, I thought that MUNICH would put him on that path. Instead he plays a lot of supporting roles, or gets the lead in stuff that looks pretty crap.

• Like 1

YUUUUUUUUP

• Like 1

I think Bana's case is two-fold:  the first is that another tall Australian beat him to the punch to the A-list (Hugh Jackman).  The second is an influx of incredibly talented actors who could play the same roles came along and pushed him out (Bale, Fassbender, Hardy et al).

Plus, Bana didn't seem like he was into playing the Hollywood PR game.

I was skimming this thread and saw "lana fucking kane" and had to stop and see if i had missedsomething.
  • Like 4

I was going to mention Fred Savage as a big child star who never went on to do anything, then remembered he was dead and went to imdb to double check.  Turns out he's still alive and has been working steadily with a lot of tv and voice acting work.  TMYK.

Savage is primarily a TV director now. He's aged less kindly than his brother did.

Tyler showing up as a homicide cop in the Kevin Bacon vigilante flick "Death Sentence" is all kinds of What The Hell Casting Agency.

Savage is primarily a TV director now. He's aged less kindly than his brother did.

TV director or money mark for Eric Bischoff.  Take your pick.

Tyler has 2 regular TV roles (Whose Line Is It Anyway, Archer), a recurring role on Criminal Minds this season, a daily talk show (The Talk), and a podcast (Girl on Guy). She's pretty frickin' busy.

TV director or money mark for Eric Bischoff.  Take your pick.

I meant his actual brother, Ben Savage (Boy/Girl Meets World), rather than Jason Hervey.

Speaking of B/GMW, I expected Danielle Fishel to be a bigger star than she's turned out to be.

Y'all forgot there's another thing holding Eric Bana back: he sucks. TERRIBLE actor. I've never seen him give a performance which didn't look sub-competent for a big movie star. The entire reason he was cast in Munich is because he perfectly fit the non-entity of a character he was playing; they needed someone so bland and forgettable that you'd never believe he was an assassin.

With the ladies mentioned, looking at their IMDB pages, I'm oddly under-familiar with their careers. I've never happened to see a single movie or TV show that Aisha Tyler has been in. And as for Sanaa Lathan, there's only Blade (and I remember basically nothing about her character) and Alien vs Predator (in which she was not even fuckin' trying, Bana-level bad, right down to the end where she hilariously no-sells being burned in the face by acid in a "serious" moment). What's all this talk about her supposedly being so crazy? Us folks who never watch or read the tabloid stalkerazzi "news" never get to hear most of this gossip.

• Like 1

It's not like he's not working, but how the fuck did Aaron Eckhart fail to translate The Dark Knight into a leading man career?

Well, for starters, he's Cuba Gooding Jr. when it comes to picking roles.

Edit: And I just learned that there's a sequel to Olympus Has Fallen coming our way next year.  Really?  Someone asked for that?

It's not like he's not working, but how the fuck did Aaron Eckhart fail to translate The Dark Knight into a leading man career?

Well, for starters, he's Cuba Gooding Jr. when it comes to picking roles.

Edit: And I just learned that there's a sequel to Olympus Has Fallen coming our way next year. Really? Someone asked for that?

Do we also get a White House Down sequel?

Eckhart's kind of bland, isn't he?

Mia Kirshner's was so amazing in the otherwise so-so The Black Dahlia, I'm surprised she didn't end up more famous in movies. She has done a ton of TV work, so it's not like she disappeared or anything, though.