DVDVR Message Board

I think it's basically coming down to them trying to kill Elliott because they know that Elliott hacked them or at least they're 99% sure that's what he's going to do. That's going to be somewhat disappointing especially after everything else that's happened this season. The season kicked off with a bunch of huge teases and questions without many answers to that. It looked like the Dark Army/China annexation of the Congo had to do with their power plant and whatever the super collider there was. They made it sound like Elliott's dad was manipulated into starting that project and Elliott was needed to finish it. Why go all that way to drive Angela crazy? How are they one step ahead of Elliott and the rest of the gang in all ways, but not when it came to Elliott redistributing the E-Corp files from one location to another? Presumably, those locations weren't destroyed so you'd think those physical files are still out there. What was the point of even destroying all of those buildings?

There are more questions to ask and it's probably something where some of those answer themselves if you binge watch the show. For some of those other questions though, there are for sure no answers. That's why this feels disappointing if at the end of all of this we're right back to Elliott possibly dying...again. In the background you see teases for the US preparing to cyberattack Iran, something that feels weird to announce in advance, and framing Trenton and Mobley lead to that. Is that all their deaths were for? That's another thing. I now don't get why they had to kill off either of them unless they knew the actress that plays Trenton just wouldn't have the time since she's on Glow and a million other things. But Mobley? What else is he doing?

And I bet at the end of this, it will be White Rose's right hand man guy, the one that set out to frame Trenton and Mobley, that winds up getting killed in a twist.

I'd much rather have time travel than all of that.

My great fear is that the fact that there really does seem to be no big build up to the finale means that the time travel/alternate dimension deal is gonna happen, and the finale sets the stage for that.  How would you set the stage for that in a way that works as a season finale?  Simple: you kill Elliot.  He legit 100% dies (I'm talking like a clear headshot or something) and you have a whole off-season with people going "how can the show work without him?" and such, the first episode or two of next season goes along without him and then he is back via either a shown time/dimension jump, or as a mystery where that is revealed as the answer later on.

So basically the whole Jon Snow deal.

I'm not sure that is what is gonna happen, I don't even think it is likely.  As I said, it's what I fear may come.  

My finale predictions: death of santiago; Irving being involved in or relaying info for whatever twist there will be (season finale .. assume there will be one); Angela revealed as Price daughter; Darlene & Dom both live. Next stage of DA plan discovered .. perhaps by Elliot having access to their network .. and his (Further) disbelief in his part that enabled it ..

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

MR. ROBOT FINALE TONIGHT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

More and more I'm on board with username's idea of Elliott dying, but then he's somehow alive at the start of next season.

You shouldn't have been, I was way off...

It was an odd season finale only in that while I felt it tied up much of what was going on during this season it didn't really set up any real tease for where we go next season.  You have the specter of whatever is going down in the Congo (which I'm not sure will even be addressed as it has been teased forever) and the reemergence of Fernando, but that feels rather small scale after where we've gone since he was last seen.  Undoing the 5/9 hack feels like it might just be a background detail moving forward, more significant for showing the growth of Elliot this season as opposed to shaping things next season but I could be wrong.

Basically it satisfied me as a viewer of this season but didn't really do much to excite me for the coming season.

I really liked the finale. It slowed things way down, but in a good way.

SPOILER HEAVY TALK...

Spoiler

The Dark Army moving past the 5-9 hack and not thinking it matters anymore is a huge fuck up. Yeah, Elliott allowed them to move their resources to the Congo to build whatever super collider that White Rose wants to build and the Dark Army doesn't think restoring the world order or bringing back the status quo is going to matter now, but as was mentioned, it gives more power to Price. Plus, I don't think White Rose realizes that Price is Angela's real dad and that now Angela wants revenge on White Rose and the Dark Army. So does Price.

So now Elliott understands that the Dark Army is the 1% of the 1% and his real target while Angela and Price are on the same revenge mission. Cool.

My only complaint is from the post-credits scene.

Spoiler

I fucking hate Fernando. I didn't like that whole storyline from season 1 and I think he's too goofy of a character for Mr. Robot. Yes, on a show where BD Wong dresses up as White Rose, Fernando is too goofy.

And I feel bad for...

Spoiler

Dom. Poor Dom. I started to think that Darlene was falling for her or maybe she just felt bad too.

Really good season finale.  I'd mentioned earlier that it didn't feel like it was time for a finale, like nothing had been adequately set up for a big ending, so it was really cool how they executed a low-key ending instead. 

Much of this feels like a reboot, which is to be expected, since the Linux "reboot" command (shutdown -r) was the title of the episode.  We're pretty much back to where we were in season 1.  Eliot and Mr. Robot are back together, the hack has been undone so the world is what it was, and Eliot is targeting a powerful, world-spanning entity.  I don't mind, though.  It's pretty ballsy to see a show do that and I'm looking forward to seeing how things will be different.  In the end, they did do time travel, just not in the way we were expecting ;)  And to belabor the point, the keys were hidden in the photo where Eliot and his dad were dressed as Doc and Marty.

• Like 1

From what I've been able to piece together so far-

White Rose is basically a Bond villain who has a prominent place in the Chinese business and political world and the Dark Army are basically her henchmen.  Her plan to annex the Congo and have her business set up shop there is what seems to be her end game, which will somehow grant her a place high up in the global sociopolitical scheme.  Elliot, Angela, Price, and the others have all been pawns who were given compartmentalized information and supposed goals that the Dark Army were after but were actually just being used to help serve WR's agenda and disposed of as necessary.  However they were not fully aware of Elliot's MPD and underestimated his abilities.  Elliot now realizes he and his friends have been had and that their whole plan was bullshit that didn't turn out as they'd planned and is now trying to fix matters.  Season 4 looks like it's going to be Elliot trying to subvert the Dark Army without getting he or his compatriots killed.

I feel bad for Dom in all this. She was one of my favorite characters and basically the only person on the show who is actually a decent person and now she's getting fucked over royally for trying to do the right thing.

• Like 1

The Congo gives her a large swath of land for a super collider too... ;)

I like HumanChessgame's breakdown. That sounds about right.

There's so many characters I feel awful for, more than most shows, even Breaking Bad. Dom is one I feel the worst for at the moment, but then you think about Trenton, Mobley, Angela, Romero's elderly mom who is now all alone, Trenton's brother, etc. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2017 at 2:38 PM, HumanChessgame said:

White Rose is basically a Bond villain who has a prominent place in the Chinese business and political world and the Dark Army are basically her henchmen.  

I think Whiterose is an interesting foil for Elliot because she is the polar opposite of Elliot.  

Elliot's troubles stem from him doing his best to hide or repress his condition and inside forces push his persona to the surface.  Meanwhile, Whiterose wants to celebrate her condition openly (ie. she is a trans female) in a society that would either imprison or kill her for being who she really is.

She certainly wouldn't hold a top intelligence position as an open transsexual.

The endgame annexation of the Congo plot IMO is more a plan to create a place where Whiterose can finally come out.  She's not doing it for the greater glory of the Chinese government.  I think that's pretty obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Greggulator said:

This final season has been magnificent. 

I've started to catch up in the last week or so and got through Episode 4 last night. Ever since she was introduced, I've been super attracted to Grace Gummer as Dom, but her side story this season hasn't been the best up until this point. Also, judging by episode 4's ending.

Poor one out/RIP for our boy Tyrell Wellick.

Dom's storyline gets really good when you realize how much pressure she's under and how there's no way out for her.

I'll also echo that this season has been fantastic. Sunday very well could have been the series finale too. That's how good this has been.

• Like 1

I'm normally not a fan of endings like that because it's such a tv trope, but Sam Esmail managed to make it worth and let both characters get what they needed in the end.

Awesome cameo/reappearance too.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm normally not a fan of endings like that because it's such a tv trope, but Sam Esmail managed to make it worth and let both characters get what they needed in the end.

Awesome cameo/reappearance too.

I agree.  It looked like it was going to be a sad ending until they showed Dom sleeping and then I was like, "well allright!"

And god damn yes that cameo was a OH HOLY SHIT OH FUCK OH FUCK moment.

Edited by Technico Support

What an absolute amazing season of television. And series. Not everything has always worked. There was too much show-offy stuff at times. Or it became more about twists than anything that advanced a story. But I don't think there has really been a show that has reflected the darkest corners of our current society (Anonymous seems quaint in this day and age of international hacking syndicates) like this. I really loved the economics thought essay after Season 1 -- what exactly would a debt-free world look like? (The answer of "horrible" being correct.) And they have really had a ton of earned moments with the characters, too, like last week with Dom and Darlene. I'm really excited for the home stretch and this show deserves such a huge nod.