DVDVR Message Board

Is the finale in 2 weeks a series or season finale? I can't imagine a season two.

The show was renewed for season 2 right after the pilot aired.

After something like 10 cancelled TV shows, Slater is finally in a hit. 

I have to say that I didn't care enough about Shayla to care that she died.  She was pretty underwritten and only characterized as the sexy girl who fucks the protagonist and who gets him drugs.  I guess we're supposed to identify strongly enough about Elliott to care about the people he cares about, but it just wasn't there.  You really have to work to establish a relationship before you kill off a character to make us care.  Yes, it was a gut-punch to realize that Elliott led to Shayla hooking up with Vera but it their meet-cute was too little, too late.

I thought this about the Shayla character at first.  However, I thought the writers and the actress(moreso) did a good job of fleshing out her character; starting at the point where Elliot asks her to be his girlfriend and tries to learn more about her.  She was good in that episode where she teams up with Angela for a "GIRLS NIGHTS OUT!" too.  Also, screw the writers for making them an interesting friend pairing and then taking it away by the way. I thought the actress portraying her was good at delivering her lines, and made the character fun.  Right when I was about to declared her my favorite character on the show...well, you know.

I was hoping they wouldn't go too American Psycho with Tyrell.  It might be more Lady MacBeth now.  I've been wary of his current storyline after the balcony scene.  The Angela parts were more interesting to me this episode so that's progress.

I'm willing to wait and see where it goes with the latest reveals.  The Mr. Robot reveal didn't shocked me but I want to see how they are going to explain it.

Edited by _MJ_

Man, that drawing of Shayla's was heartbreaking. If that didn't touch you, I don't know what to say.

As far as the murder, that shit was so hokey and such a trap the show didn't need to fall into. People like Tyrell are loathsome enough without being literal murderers. Paying to beat up the homeless dude was perfect.

• Like 1

I agree that the murder was way overdone but that bit of impulsiveness and the rather unorthodox way his wife gets them out of the police interview reinforces that:

1) Tyrell really isn't the mastermind here.  His wife is.  I agree with the Scottish Play analogy.

2) Scott Knowles is not a throwaway character.  He is a badass.

Gay/Trans Asian hacker is already played out and done better with Hoon Lee as Job from Banshee.  Everybody else is just playing for second.

Job learned at the feet of Razor and Blade from Hackers.

Speaking of which, given the loving barb thrown at the movie, Hackers, in this series it wouldn't surprise me if White Rose wasn't some sort of parody or tribute to characters like Job, Razor, and Blade.

Esmail seems to be randomly taking shots and sending shout outs to the various and sundry hacker subculture icons of reality and fiction. 

We all figured out that the fsociety get up is pretty much a nod to Anonymous and Mr Monopoly (The dark side of Capitalism cut up into easily digestible portions and served to children.), right.

As much as Esmail ribbed on Hackers, this season can't end with anything short of a Hack the Gibson moment albeit without the EDM and video game effects.  it is also uncanny how much Eliot resembles Dade Murphy physically and by mannerism.

Darlene is Acid Burn for a new generation.

That was probably my favorite part of the show so far, when they randomly stumbled into the bit about shows that tell society about Hacker culture. It was the sort of overly self-aware nod that just wouldn't have worked in almost any show, but because of Elliott's general tone, it was a riot.

So anyone who had "Star Wars, Fight Club and The Sixth Sense" on their Plot Twist Bingo Card is a big winner.

At least they're self-aware regarding the stuff they're ripping off paying homage to.  That subtle piano piece at the end of the episode was definitely a cover of The Pixies' "Where is My Mind," which was playing during the closing scene in Fight Club.

• Like 1

Yeah, they've used that piano version of "Where is My Mind" in a commercial or something not long ago too. I almost want to say it was in an Apple commercial.

EDIT: I am guessing that the season finale is going to have to do some world building for season 2. I say that because last night basically has kept most of the threads from this season self-contained, and the only thing that seems to logically build itself past this season is the offer that Colby gives to Angela.

The whole dissociative disorder thing was a tad ham fisted but at least it does play into the basic premise that Eliot is our eyes and ears and he is an extremely unreliable narrator.

Tyrell and Eliot joining forces for all the wrong reasons is an interesting development.   Eliot wants to change the world and Tyrell wants getback for getting shitcanned.   Somewhere along the line there will be a double cross. I am sure.

Angela taking a job at Evil is an inevitability.  She's going to do what she has to in order to help her father.  Colby's explanation of the way the world works was epic.  Characters I thought were throwaways are starting to make significant contributions to the story.

Of all the characters in the show, I feel the most sympathy for Gideon because he is the only person trying to live some semblance of a reasonable and normal life and do the right thing, yet the universe is giving him the short end.

The whole dissociative disorder thing was a tad ham fisted but at least it does play into the basic premise that Eliot is our eyes and ears and he is an extremely unreliable narrator.

Tyrell and Eliot joining forces for all the wrong reasons is an interesting development.   Eliot wants to change the world and Tyrell wants getback for getting shitcanned.   Somewhere along the line there will be a double cross. I am sure.

Angela taking a job at Evil is an inevitability.  She's going to do what she has to in order to help her father.  Colby's explanation of the way the world works was epic.  Characters I thought were throwaways are starting to make significant contributions to the story.

Of all the characters in the show, I feel the most sympathy for Gideon because he is the only person trying to live some semblance of a reasonable and normal life and do the right thing, yet the universe is giving him the short end.

If anything, Gideon's story just adds to the overall cynicism of this show about society. It sends the message that "living by the law and always doing the right thing will get you nowhere."

I think this show is a little misguided with its political tones, but I also get that it is targeting a heightened, exaggerated view that exists in the American left these days.

One of the weirdest things to me so far was when Tyrell was talking to Knowles and they mentioned E-Corp, it came out as Evil Corp. I get that happening in scenes that Elliott is in, but it was weird there.

Not really weird.  As observers even we as the audience have our point of view clouded by Eliot's unreliable subjective narrative since collectively we are his imaginary friend.

I am interested to see how the narrative from our point of view changes once Eliot is taking meds for his condition.

Yeaaaah, Tyrell is turning on Elliott by the end of the next episode.

Chaos, what's misguided about the political tone? I think the show tends to oversimplify things but the general idea is fine.

Careful about asking these questions.  I've read people complaining about the existence of:

• One very minor Middle Eastern character
  • One normal gay relationship
  • One quick instance of explicit gay sex

as evidence that the show is pushing a liberal agenda on us.  There are people out there watching TV who see anything outside of their acceptable norm (white male hetero characters) as evidence that Librul Hollywood is trying to indoctrinate us.

I'm always amused that the people complaining about "liberal agendas" generally aren't live and let live types, but instead often are very vocal about pushing a conservative agenda.

As for the show's agenda, meh.   Must not be working.  I haven't had any desire to have gay sex with a Middle Eastern man yet.

• Like 3

I was honestly only referring to the show derailing against capitalism and all forms of it. 

It's misguided in that sense Evil Corp is this giant conglomerate meant to represent that on a whole.

E-Corp/Evil Corp more resembles corporatism/some level of crony capitalism more than it does traditional capitalism.

The show is an entertainment medium that is using broad strokes to represent its world. I only even mentioned it because I tend to notice these things more than the average person.

I was in no way referring to this show's diversity. Given the setting and the industries that it deals with, it's refreshing to see it.

• One very minor Middle Eastern character
  • One normal gay relationship
  • One quick instance of explicit gay sex

1) It is New York.  Muslims are everywhere and that is okay.

2) It is New York.  Gays are everywhere and that is okay.

3) Taken totally out of context since Tyrell did that to advance his agenda and because he is predatory and not a homosexual,,,, and maybe he enjoyed it a little but who am I to judge?

As for the show's agenda, meh.   Must not be working.  I haven't had any desire to have gay sex with a Middle Eastern man yet.

I would totally smash Trenton.  She's kinda cute.  I love demure women. She'd have to keep the hijab on, though.

For fear of being redundant, I think it's refreshing to see a somewhat mainstream show that is set in New York and has such a diverse cast. It's almost the antithesis of what you usually see cast in New York based shows.

New York shows are the hotbed for crime procedural shows. I, personally, watch (and am quite behind on) Person of Interest and Sherlock. I don't think I am heralding either show for its decisions in diverse casting.

Chaos, the fact that they amalgamate all of the world's corporate entities into one giant corporation was one of my earlier complaints before the show damn near jumped the shark.

I'm always amused that the people complaining about "liberal agendas" generally aren't live and let live types, but instead often are very vocal about pushing a conservative agenda.

This made me laugh too hard.