DVDVR Message Board

Okay, we're committed now guys.  This is no longer a casual relationship.  There's a decent chance this could blowup in our face in the long term(I still remember you, LOST), but it's working right now.  Mr. Robot has its own thread.

I'm not over Shayla.  Damn you, Obamacare.  Damn you, Elliot.

As for Mr. Robot theories, right now I am of the mind that he's real, but Elliot's interactions with him aren't always legit.  To be honest, I don't really care too much about it.  It's not the most interesting part of the show for me.

I'd never heard of any Tyler Durden-esque theories until the other thread and can't say I'd ever even thought of something like that.  Both he and Elliot interact with multiple other characters, often at the same time, so I don't see why there's a question that there's some alter-ego gimmick going on.

The thing I wonder most about is what Tyrell and his wife's deal is.  I somehow get the impression she's the one calling the shots in that relationship and is just as responsible for whatever their endgame is as he is.

How's this show doing ratings-wise?

Okay, we're committed now guys.  This is no longer a casual relationship.  There's a decent chance this could blowup in our face in the long term(I still remember you, LOST), but it's working right now.  

You shut your mouth!!

The fight club shit was pretty clear to be from episode 2 on, but on one episode I'm full on #teamtylerdurden and on the next one I'll slowly creep towards #teamreal. I think we will only truly know on the last episode (maybe not even on this season's finale?!) but I have a super strong feeling about Darlene playing a HUGE part in that whole thing.

Tyrell and crazy wife are speaking Swedish btw.

EDIT: Also Shayla. Muh gurl 4 ever RIP

• Like 1

There are certain things that indicate to me that Mr. Robot is not real and Eliot is finally admitting it to us (ie. the death speech about Shayla, the surreal bit where Eliot puts on the fsociety mask) but I am still not sure.   

Tyrell and Eliot share interesting parallels even though they are almost mirror opposites.  Tyrell is confident and covets power (mostly political) while Eliot is unsure of himself (at least from a social perspective) and has tremendous power that he barely appreciates via the fact that he has near limitless access to information.

I really enjoy the fact that none of the characters is very stereotypical or stupid, even the minor ones.  Vera is a philosopher gangster, the members of fsociety are just as talented as Eliot when it comes to computers, Ollie is a bit of a douche but has the good taste to try to have some sort of tie to Eliot for Angela's sake. ad nauseum.

RIP Shayla.  I had a bad feeling from the moment they took her away that she was dead and the You Need To Let Her Become A Memory talk did not help.  I like to think of myself as an optimist so the little kick to the groin of Hope hurt more than it should have.  I totally disagree with Mr. Robot.  It is not brave or realistic to accept futility.  It is surrender.  I think that the reason Eliot came up with the right plan for the right time during that ordeal is because of the hope that he could save Shayla.

And then we get a flashback that explains that Shayla would have never even hooked up with Vera if it hadn't been for Elliott wanting suboxone. Damn.

As if the ending of the previous episode wasn't crushing enough.  Eliot's addiction signed Shayla's death warrant.  If he had no philosophical motivation to kick the habit, he does now.

I want to get into this, but I'm wary of doing so. How much like other USA shows is this? I mean, JT usually reminds me of Aziz's nephew Harris when it comes to USA programming, so Mr. Robot could be like everything else, but the ultra high scores it's receiving everywhere else tells me this is pretty unique.

Binged watched it this week after seeing the positive responses in the July TV thread and here are some unorganized thoughts:

I felt like the first episode set such a strong tone that the next few episodes suffered to live up to the hype. They've recovered and found a nice footing. They're pushing some interesting things but the irony of a corporate TV channel making millions off of people's hatred of corporate USA isn't lost on me. I can just picture early discussions on the show. "Hey, who do people hate?" "Us." "Let's make money off of that!" Not a big fan of simplifying problems with capitalism down to one EVYIL company but I guess we've got to start somewhere. I'm scared of where the end game is going because all of this though.

I do like the inclusion of non-traditional characters and ideas (for a television show anyway). Portrayal of a happy same-sex relationship, a Muslim woman (though the fact she didn't speak for a few episodes was annoying), gay sex scenes, protagonist struggling with addiction, a protagonist who isn't caucasian, among other stuff.

The scene where Angela goes back to Colby's place for answers was fucking great. I thought they could have hammed it up but they played it perfectly.

Eilliot Villar as Vera gives me some young John Turturro vibe both in terms of appearance and acting style. That's a good thing.

Ollie is the All-American Douche. Such a great POS character. The best fake sincerity.

As for Mr. Robot theories, right now I am of the mind that he's real, but Elliot's interactions with him aren't always legit.  To be honest, I don't really care too much about it.  It's not the most interesting part of the show for me.

That is what it looks like after the last episode. There is still one odd thing from the first episode. The scene where Darlene calls Elliot a dickhead. I don't remember the exact quote but she basically tells him to stop screwing around when she asks him about giving him access to the root directory. It seemed to me to imply that she already knew him. It is written in a way though that it could be either she does or doesn't which is pretty great attention to detail. The way Elliot just took over leadership though is still shady. Also the way Darlene looked to them both as an authority figure when she still wanted to do their part to attack steel mountain.

I had also considered the possibility that Mr. Robot and Tyrell are the same. I thought last episode tried to present them in a similar way.

Having said all of that I think we are seeing reality. Right now I'm thinking the show could just be called Red Herring. Everyone is going to come together and everything up to this point has been clever manipulation of the audience to make everything more interesting. Everyone is real and their separate interests are all about to collide.

So far though my expectations going to an episode turn out to be wrong though. It is great though because each time there is no disappointment. My guess right now is, and as I've said I've been wrong every time, Mr. Robot, Tyrell, the guy that was involved with Darlene and the hackers in China are working together. The attack on the company will basically be an economic terrorist attack against the United States. We already see two companies that are going to be taken out as a result. Elliot will be ground zero for dealing with the results next season. I think what Tyrell did last episode was premeditated. The emotional reaction to it makes sense either way. I think that will play into what Mr. Robot said about taking down Colby. You don't take down a conglomerate by cutting out its heart. I expect the new CTO, her husband, to go down for the murder. Mr. Robot is completely manipulating Elliot's delusional state and frailty. Intentionally presenting himself as a paternal figure. To get what he wants. Elliot is just a patsy.

Edit - I think Darlene is a patsy as well being used like Elliot.

Edited by Cole Miner

They've definitely played with the idea that Mr. Robot could be an illusion. I hope not, as it would make the show so derivative of Fight Club when there's already a big enough of a similarity. 

I have to say that I didn't care enough about Shayla to care that she died.  She was pretty underwritten and only characterized as the sexy girl who fucks the protagonist and who gets him drugs.  I guess we're supposed to identify strongly enough about Elliott to care about the people he cares about, but it just wasn't there.  You really have to work to establish a relationship before you kill off a character to make us care.  Yes, it was a gut-punch to realize that Elliott led to Shayla hooking up with Vera but it their meet-cute was too little, too late.

I finally watched this past week's episode. I didn't feel it was as strong as the couple episodes that had preceded it,

That rooftop scene makes me feel that it is going to lead to a lot of bad writing in the coming weeks.

Also, I have a feeling that Angela is going to become this show's Kim Bauer (Annoying character does annoying things).

With that said, Christian Slater pulls off being a psychopath pretty well.

Also, I have a feeling that Angela is going to become this show's Kim Bauer (Annoying character does annoying things).

With that said, Christian Slater pulls off being a psychopath pretty well.

Well if whatever is being planned needs Colby in prison I think there is a shot that Slater kills her. I liked the scenes she did with Colby though.

Well, that was kind of a big episode. Three pretty big reveals that organically played off of one another and could make for an interesting dynamic going forward.

I am still processing everything.

• Like 1

Jesus, this fucking show and how it messes with my heart and my brain.  I would love to see it go on but I would hate it if it had a jump the shark moment.  Sam needs to make sure the series finale is aces.

Oof, that was pretty much a jumped the shark moment for me. We'll see how they finish of the season but between the murder and this week's gimmicky reveal, the show is leaning on some bad tropes that could lead it down the shit path. The core concept of the show is something most everybody can relate to in one way or another, it didn't need these stupid plot twists.

Wasn't a surprising direction but it was the one I was hoping they weren't going to take. For a moment there I thought my guess was right when Tyrell tried accessing the rootkit. Knew it was wrong the moment they had Mr. Robot and Tyrell meet.

It isn't completely inconceivable to me that someone would have that kind of break. There use to be a guy in my neighborhood growing up that had full blown hallucinations. He would live out scenes from Saved by the Bell and Beverly Hills 90210 at the basketball court. There is no way he could function in the real world at all though. The side effects of the medication is too strong when on it. Off it his breakdowns weren't internalized at all. Clearly he thought Screech was there. He ended up hospitalized a lot since he would basically do Forrest Gump occasionally in the Summer. He would just sprint and keep sprinting until he needed an ambulance. There was no stopping him. He shouldn't have been on his own.