DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 73: Teixeira vs. St. Preux (8/8/2015) - Nashville, TN (Bridgestone Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

13f9dc7fd3dfbd96d3c61dcae9a6fbae.jpg

UFC Fight Night 73: Teixeira vs. St. Preux

August 8, 2015

Nashville, TN (Bridgestone Arena)

Glover Teixeira (205.5) vs. Ovince St. Preux (206) - Teixeira, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:10)

Michael Johnson (155.5) vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Dariush, DEC (split)

Derek Brunson (186) vs. Sam Alvey (186) - Brunson, TKO (punches), R1 (2:19)

Jared Rosholt (237) vs. Timothy Johnson (265) - Rosholt, DEC (unanimous)

Sara McMann (136)** vs. Amanda Nunes (136) - Nunes, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:53)

Ray Borg (126.75)* vs. Geane Herrera (126) - Borg, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:

Uriah Hall (185.5) vs. Oluwale Bamgbose (184.5) - Hall, TKO (punches), R1 (2:32)

Chris Camozzi (185.5) vs. Tom Watson (185) - Camozzi, DEC (unanimous)

Dustin Ortiz (125.5) vs. Willie Gates (126) - Ortiz, TKO (elbows and punches), R3 (2:58)

Frankie Saenz (136) vs. Sirwan Kakai (136) - Saenz, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Chris Dempsey (204.5) vs. Jonathan Wilson (205) - Wilson, KO (punch), R1 (0:50)

Marlon Vera (135.5) vs. Roman Salazar (135) - Vera, SUB (triangle armbar), R2 (2:15)

Anthony Christodoulou (156) vs. Scott Holtzman (155.5) - Holtzman, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:40)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

**Reweighed after weighing 136.5 on first attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Marlon Vera

Performance of the Night: Amanda Nunes

Fight of the Night: Glover Teixeira vs. Ovince St. Preux

Attendance: 7,539

Gate: $454,551

Rating: 1.159 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Matt Van Buren vs. Jonathan Wilson - Injury to Van Buren

Joe Riggs vs. Uriah Hall - Riggs Withdrew

Jared Cannonier vs. Jonathan Wilson - Injury to Cannonier (Broken Rib)

Ian McCall vs. Dustin Ortiz - Injury to McCall

Is Glove Teixeira actually any good? I really don't get that guy.

Looking forward to the Johnson/Dariush fight but other than that, this card isn't too appealing. First time in a while I find myself saying that.

Looking forward to the Johnson/Dariush fight but other than that, this card isn't too appealing. First time in a while I find myself saying that.

Very surprised they put Rosholt on the main card over Ortiz vs. WHOOP ASS WILLIE (!) and McMann vs. Nunes. Camozzi vs. Watson is whatever but I can kinda see that devolving into a "lets bang, bro" fight that's semi decent.

Borg getting some main card shine is good with me.

Uriah Hall is fighting a Northeast guy who is 5-0 with nothing but 1st round knockout finishes. Better yet, his nickname is HOLY WAR ANGEL. Hall will either get a finish or find a way to lose.

The Saenz fight could be better than decent.

Johnson vs. Dariush should be very good.

The entire FP portion is skippable. I really don't know how Anthony Christodoulou is in the UFC. He is horrific.

The main event is okay. I think Teixeira is hot or cold fighter just because he is an older fighter now and stuck in one particular style. I'm still shocked people thought he was gonna beat Phil Davis. That's amazing. Rumble beat Davis so bad that people thought Glover was good enough to beat him. Now that's a beatdown.

I think if he doesn't get OSP down consistently, I think Glover runs the risk of getting touched and stopped via strikes. Even though Glover has a better chin than Cummins, I don't think it would be smart going at it with St. Preux. His best option would be to get him down and tap him because OSP is still pretty rudimentary on his back.

He seemed good until he got beat by Davis.  He got beat at his own game by Jon Jones, but so did everyone, including Daniel Cormier.  I like this match-up more as a litmus test for OSP than anything.

I was going to ask how Christodoulou is still in the UFC after his last fight.

I too marked out for HOLY WAR ANGEL. Uriah Hall is whatever at this point but that has potential to be entertaining, you're right.

I just watched the OSP/Cummins fight and OSP was gassing hard by the end of round 1 but he did have Cummins grappling with him for the majority of the round. That fight could get really ugly. OSP did manage to ward off a lot of takedowns and get up immediately from the first completed Cummins takedown. I don't know if Glover will be able to keep him down until OSP gasses.

I don't know if this is actually a litmus test for OSP.  While Glover does present potential problems for OSP (he can actually grapple), it's not all the problems we would typically associate with St. Preux having. Mousasi outgrappled him and then Bader just wrestled him to death. Right now, he is a feast or famine fighter. I think he did better in the Cummins fight, but I need to see him be consistent.

He is still trying convert raw athleticism into being a top light heavyweight. Some of his technique is good, but a good portion of the time awkward and ugly. I would love to see him at a bigger camp like a Kings MMA or a Blackzilians where he can actually hone his skills. Right now, we're watching the slightly improved and slightly older version of him. That's not the ideal place for a 32 year old who is past the prospect stage. I don't want this guy to start figuring it out at like 35 or 36 when it's kinda too late to start a run.

Why would that be bumped up? It's just on the poster so people watch the prelims.

Nope, he's right. On UFC.com, they switched out Camozzi/Watson with McMann/Nunes. They probably announced it last night when they were going over the card on UFC Tonight. I just hadn't changed it yet.

I think it may been a screw up on UFC.com's part. Wikipedia uses the website's lineup. They normally don't put fights on posters that aren't on the main card unless it's like TUF finales where they just put the whole cast on there since you can't spoil the finals.

Very happy I'll get to see it since I don't get fox sports 2. Plus it could set up the next title fight if Cyborg can't make 135. Maybe McCann vs. Nunez winner faces Pena vs. Eye winner to set up the backup plan. Of course zingano and Davis could be part of that equation as well.

Why would that be bumped up? It's just on the poster so people watch the prelims.

Nope, he's right. On UFC.com, they switched out Camozzi/Watson with McMann/Nunes. They probably announced it last night when they were going over the card on UFC Tonight. I just hadn't changed it yet.

Glad that fight is on the main card. Should have from the start.

DC and Evans blamed the scale for Mcmann missing weight since the look on her face was of shock. They did mention if she stripped down she would have made it then they wonder if any women ever stripped down until Karyn mention Gina Carano back in the day.

So they never saw an Invicta weigh-in where they have a big curtain for that.

I knew it had happened recently, but I mixed up Invicta with a UFC event from the past two years.