DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 MOVIE THREAD

Rev Ray

I was watching The Net, with Sandra Bullock, the other day and I realized, you know what I miss? Those modestly-budgeted '90s thrillers where some normal, middle-class professional ended up ON THE RUN~! from some big, evil corporate conspiracy because they had stumbled across THE TRUTH~!

• Like 3

I just want more movies with '90s stars claiming they will "GET TO TRUTH~!"  no matter what.

Ideally, with Tommy Lee Jones in a supporting role, but I'm not picky. 

Either way, this shady corporation was up to something. We should find out what, 

I watched the Mechanic, with starring Jason Statham. It was alright - a bit shakycam in the action scenes, but Statham's whole gimmick is of doing action scenes in confined spaces so you can't really complain. It was marketed as an action film rather than a double-cross twist movie, so the twists being a bit obvious wasn't aggravating. It's good. There's a really good fight scene that's basically a one-sided squash, but evolves into a 'can this idiot survive long enough to sneak in a killing blow?' dealie, that works really well. But yeah, it was good.

• Like 2

Did anybody here watch Dragonball Resurrection F in theaters? I loved it, but I can't imagine a scenerio where I don't love new Akira Toriyama written Dragonball.

I saw it too. I loved it as well. Packed theater full of fellow fans watching new Toriyama Z, made for one of the best experiences watching a movie in the theater.

• Like 1

Straight Outta Compton was great.  Acting was surprisingly good.  Some of the dudes didn't quite look the part, but they acted the part well (for example, Snoop).  MC Ren and DJ Yella got a lot of the really funny lines, and Ice Cube Jr. looked EXACTLY like Cube Sr. the more the movie went on.  Also, never hire Paul Giamatti to handle your money. 

I was surprised they largely ignored the East Coast / West Coast thing, and Eminem, considering that was a pretty big deal for Dre. 

So go see Leviathan right now. Fucking harrowing movie, and makes you question ANY moral choice you make in your life. Acting is awesome, the setting and tone is fucking incredibly unsettling...just all in all a movie that by the end made you hate life and wonder what the hell pride even means. Russian and subtitled, but it's just mesmerizing.

The first half of Straight Outta Compton is very well done. So great. The young cast delivered. I liked how they handled the interactions with law enforcement. I loved the dude who played Eazy. Ice Cube's son was really good too.  It was awesome hearing all these songs on the big screen in a packed theater.  Everyone enjoyed themselves.  It was a blast. 

The second half of the film

gets a little rushed and the scenes at Death Row Records were not as good. I realize everything that went on there but it still felt cartoonish to me at times.  I didn't care for the Snoop introduction and there really wasn't a reason to have 2Pac show up at all.  They could have treated him as they treated Bone Thugs where they are mentioned but we don't actually see them.  The timeline didn't really add up. BUT everyone popped hearing "Hail Mary" so I guess it worked for that purpose.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience. It could have been better but it's still good and I definitely recommend it. 

Dear God, was The Man from U.N.C.LE. a piece of shit.  I wanna say Guy Ritchie's worst, but then I didn't see that shipwreck movie he did with Madonna so I can't judge it against that.

For whatever reason, Armie Hammer's performance kept reminding me of Colin Hanks in terms of his line delivery.

When me and my friends got the trailer for No Escape before the new Mission Impossible movie, our reaction was "We never knew until now that we want to see a movie where Owen Wilson throws children off a roof, but THIS isn't it"

Much like I never realized I wanted to see a movie that has Terry Crews and Shaquille O'Neal in it, but Blended isnt it.

Dear God, was The Man from U.N.C.LE. a piece of shit. I wanna say Guy Ritchie's worst, but then I didn't see that shipwreck movie he did with Madonna so I can't judge it against that.

For whatever reason, Armie Hammer's performance kept reminding me of Colin Hanks in terms of his line delivery.

The movie stars a Brit as an American, an American as a Russian, a Swede as a German, and an Australian as an Italian. The only parts I really liked featured Hugh Grant, and he was pretty much phoning it in. Not the worst I've seen this year, but hardly captivating.

• Like 2