DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Are the matches the same so would it be Warrior/Quake in a cage? That might have been interesting especially if Warrior could press slam Earthquake. I think a better feud would have been Mr. Perfect vs. Warrior for the title. Why they didn't keep Hennig in the main event picture I don't know. Perfect could do his pinball stuff for Warrior and make every Warrior move look like it was gonna kill him. In retrospect there was probably nothing that could be done for Warrior. Personally when I was a kid back then I loved Warrior and his title run. Maybe do the feud with Savage sooner. That could have been fun too.

Holy shit that is cheap.  Is Jefferson City that big a dump?  Is Knoxville that affordable?  Why am I asking these questions on a wrestling forum?

Right? In Vancouver, $800k would buy you a crappy two story, 3 bedroom house if you're lucky. Even in the suburbs, that ain't buying you much of anything fancy. Seeming as I don't ski, I'm starting to feel like I'm an idiot for not moving to somewhere a helluva lot more affordable.

I remember having a similar reaction when Lana and Rusev's bought that freakin' mansion in Tennessee for a similar price.

Yeah, here in Greensboro, that price would net you a damn mansion.  I think that's common in big, but not really big markets.

Rude and Hogan worked together at least once. It's on tape and I've seen the match and I honestly don't blame Hulk for not wanting to work with Rude again. Rude was pretty damn reckless with a chairshot in that match. It'd be bad with anyone but it's a lot worse when you're wrestling the guy who is paying everyone's bills. It wasn't about Rude being "too small" I believe Hogan said he didn't work to work with Rude because he wrestled like a "Tasmanian devil"

The story about Rude refusing to work with Hogan was when Hogan came into WCW and I'm not sure if the timeline even matches up for that to be true. If it was true it's not like Rude was wrestling much longer after Hogan came in for it be become an issue anyway.

All I know for sure is that this is the first step towards the future from Idiocracy. Once you accept this as truth it's all so much more fun.

Whatever gets "Well, sheeit" as the opener to a speech on the teleprompter.

Rude and Hogan worked together at least once. It's on tape and I've seen the match and I honestly don't blame Hulk for not wanting to work with Rude again. Rude was pretty damn reckless with a chairshot in that match. It'd be bad with anyone but it's a lot worse when you're wrestling the guy who is paying everyone's bills. It wasn't about Rude being "too small" I believe Hogan said he didn't work to work with Rude because he wrestled like a "Tasmanian devil"

The story about Rude refusing to work with Hogan was when Hogan came into WCW and I'm not sure if the timeline even matches up for that to be true. If it was true it's not like Rude was wrestling much longer after Hogan came in for it be become an issue anyway.

Rude had to retire shortly before Slamboree '94, after they started hyping Hogan (and when they tried the blatant "make you think it's Hogan" bait and switch with Windham at that ppv) but the month before Hulk's actual in-ring WCW debut at Bash at the Beach.

Never knew that Hogan and Rude didn't want to work with one another. I learn something new from y'all yet again. Thanks.

In that case, Perfect or Savage are probably the best options. Perfect could have dropped the gold to KVE in the weeks after the show or Sapphire could have turned on Dusty in the weeks before the show to move Dusty on to DiBiase and leave Savage for Warrior. 

Random question with Summerslam coming up.

One of the reasons that I see people often cite regarding the Ultimate Warrior's failed WWF Championship reign is that he really didn't have the heel opponents needed to fuel his run.

Assuming that this perspective has merit, would switching Warrior and Hogan's Summerslam '90 opponents have been enough to save Warrior's reign? Rick Rude takes out Hogan with a weight bar, and Hogan goes out for weeks, possibly having to retire with post-concussion syndrome. Meanwhile, Heenan brings in Earthquake to destroy Warrior and take the gold. Does that give Warrior's reign the juice that it needed? 

On another note, I know Hogan/Rude did house show loops in 1988, but man, would have loved to see them go at it for fifteen on PPV. 

On one of KrisZ Between the Sheets Podcast I Listened too he and Bix said Warrior and Rude drew a few big house before SS'90 eve though I do like the Idea of switching cards.

Speaking of Perfect and Savage, did they ever work eachother in the WWF?  I know they were on the same side of the rulebook and teamed together against Flair/Hall for a bit, but I'm wondering if they ever wrestled eachother before that.  There's a brief match between the two on some random Nitro but that's all I can find.

This far out, the polling numbers don't mean a whole lot.

I agree there..  Dr. Ben Carson has been looking good lately but does anyone really believe he'll be around when this shit kicks into high gear. I don't. 

Back to Trump,  maybe it's me but I actually do believe that these supporters of his are very real.

Wow, the WWF back then could always be counted on some random as hell booking.

I saw this posted on Reddit. Recap of Greg Valentine on some podcast. He doesn't like womens rasslin.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine took part in a live podcast this weekend for the View from Filsinger Games Headquarters. During the Q&A portion, he randomly brought up his views on women's wrestling ... saying, “As far as girl wrestling, I would send them all out to the strip bar and fire ’em.”

Some other quotes: “I’d fire every girl wrestler I ever saw. They don’t draw any money, they have horrible matches. Uh … they’re terrible. That’s the way I feel.” “They take away jobs from men that need to support their families. They should be home washing dishes and cooking and pregnant and barefoot.”

“I love women … but they gotta realize their place. They’re not supposed to be wrestlers. They’re not supposed to be MMA fighters or boxers. It’s bullshit.”

That part of the interview starts a little after the 40 minute mark:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/e/d/3edc9c896f9c8ba7/TheViewAtWGF.mp3?c_id=9650865&expiration=1440197515&hwt=7814e0c19531160ac08ba277afa070e9

Personally, I think the WWE is missing the boat with this "revolution" by not having an Andy Kaufman he-man woman hater as a mouth piece for some of the other Divas. In Greg's defense, he probably had to deal with Moolah so that would make anyone hate women wrestlers.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding that this sort of sexist drivel is dumb no matter who says it, Greg Valentine saying this is extra funny because I always thought him to be a waste of space every time he was on screen. I know most folks like his work, but to me, this dude has no room to talk about other wrestlers not being watchable.

• Like 1

Did anyone ever do a Stevie Ray Von Erich gimmick where they came out to Scuttlebuttin' and when they did the claw they did like a guitar solo on the other dudes face and made an expression like they just snorted a bumblebee?

• Like 4

I saw this posted on Reddit. Recap of Greg Valentine on some podcast. He doesn't like womens rasslin.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine took part in a live podcast this weekend for the View from Filsinger Games Headquarters. During the Q&A portion, he randomly brought up his views on women's wrestling ... saying, “As far as girl wrestling, I would send them all out to the strip bar and fire ’em.”

Some other quotes: “I’d fire every girl wrestler I ever saw. They don’t draw any money, they have horrible matches. Uh … they’re terrible. That’s the way I feel.” “They take away jobs from men that need to support their families. They should be home washing dishes and cooking and pregnant and barefoot.”

“I love women … but they gotta realize their place. They’re not supposed to be wrestlers. They’re not supposed to be MMA fighters or boxers. It’s bullshit.”

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/e/d/3edc9c896f9c8ba7/TheViewAtWGF.mp3?c_id=9650865&expiration=1440197515&hwt=7814e0c19531160ac08ba277afa070e9

Personally, I think the WWE is missing the boat with this "revolution" by not having an Andy Kaufman he-man woman hater as a mouth piece for some of the other Divas. In Greg's defense, he probably had to deal with Moolah so that would make anyone hate women wrestlers.

Sandow. Yesterday. 

My brother's least favourite wrestler in the world is Greg Valentine because when he was 13/14, he was at a local show with Valentine on the card and asked him for an autograph and Valentine kinda mumbled/barked "HAFTA buy a PICTURE!" so he's always made a joke about how Valentine is his mortal nemesis.  Nice to see my brother will be vindicated in his lifelong feud and come out on top.

• Like 1