DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 TV THREAD!

DEAN

between Review With Forrest McNeill and Rick & Morty coming back the same week, there really is an awesome two-pack of shows that go to dark places but still have deep heart behind them. Forrest's relentless optimism that he will discover some great experiences that always end in disaster ("there was no way we could edit that to look good"), and the gut-punch ending of last week's Rick & Morty is some real next-level stuff for dark humor.

• Like 1

Me and my roomies unashamedly love and watch Americas Got Talent, and there's been some cool shit so far this season. But holy shit, the "How vapid, stupid, and full of nothing to say Heidi Klum is" game we play has been brought to a new level.

Was anyone watching Under the Dome in the first place?

People were hate watching it last season.

I don't know if I was hate watching it, but I did find it amusingly bad. I checked out this season as my interest has just lied elsewhere in games and other shows.

I know it's walking into fact checking the science behind super powers and I won't admit to knowing how it all works but...if Mike is SO smart and has this ability to memorize stuff at a glance why not have him study for the bar exam and then take said bar? I mean do you have to provide you Law Degree before taking it?

In most states, you do have to have a law degree before you can attempt the exam.  There are several states that don't require a law degree, but do require you to study/apprentice with a licensed attorney.  There are also a couple of states that don't require you to have graduated from law school, but do require you to have been admitted and completed at least the first year or two.

Actually, irrc, New York (where Suits is set) allows you to sit for the bar exam if you've completed the first year of law school.  Of course, on Suits, Mike can't go back to law school or take the bar exam again without exposing his secret.

Suits Really should only be watched for the snappy dialogue which you do not get anywhere else outside of old Cary Grant movies. At least the show was self aware enough to have Jessica mutter how absurd it was that this was happening on his first case.

• Like 1

I really surprised that I've only liked two summer series this year.  Ok, that's not really a surprise.  Every year, I find myself checking out more and more shows I would not make time for if they aired between September and May.  The surprising bit is that the two shows are Mr. Robot and...... Scream?

I'd never watched an MTV drama or comedy until this year.  Haven't really been impressed by what I've seen (I gave up on Teen Wolf after realizing I still couldn't tell people apart aside from the Asian girl, who is not well-drawn as a character; she's just the only Asian in the cast).  But I do enjoy Scream quite a bit.  It's not re-inventing the wheel, and not nearly as good as the best cable dramas.  But the lead is effective, and the writing has been just good enough to flesh out the characters and get you invested in them a bit.

Also, I expect the reveal of the killer(s) to be absurd and make no sense given what's gone before, and that will take some work since, at this point, I think it could be almost anyone.  Actually, I spent most of this week's episode thinking that the ex-boyfriend was in on it and had agreed to be stabbed to throw people off, but he was taken out of the suspect pool in a visceral fashion by episode's end.

Anyone else watching.

People were hate watching it last season.

I still find myself hate watching it and I have no idea why. It's fucking terrible.

They have been piling up on my DVR so the other night my wife and I watched like 3 episodes and I just couldn't do it. Soooo stupid, such bad acting, dumb writing, shitty pacing. We deleted it all.

I caught up on Scream this week. It's weird, because I don't think the cast is bad, and I think the dialogue is actually quite good in parts, and I think all of that adds up to make it really watchable. That being said, it might be the worst paced show I've ever seen. We are what, seven episodes in? Have people gotten one step closer to finding the killer? Ruling people out because they die doesn't actually constitute narrative progress. I laughed when they referenced and make fun of it in a couple episodes, but Pretty Little Liars is a much better show with essentially the same plot. All the characters are seemingly at the whim of the unseen force, and are unable to act in any meaningful way until they are forced to. It's a frustrating thing, because I think the show could be really great if the characters showed any drive to figure out who was killing them at all. 

Show Me A Hero is David Simon's newest work-of-art. It's about a controversial court ruling in the late 80s that forced Yonkers to build affordable (re: housing for minorities) in the white side of town, and the 28-year-old who used the issue to get elected but quickly in over his head. It's really great. It may be too specific with municipal government jargon and court legalese, but the eye to detail is tremendous.

Show Me A Hero is David Simon's newest work-of-art. It's about a controversial court ruling in the late 80s that forced Yonkers to build affordable (re: housing for minorities) in the white side of town, and the 28-year-old who used the issue to get elected but quickly in over his head. It's really great. It may be too specific with municipal government jargon and court legalese, but the eye to detail is tremendous.

I only watched episode one, and it was good, and looks to be better. Its not the Wire, but as time goes on, I'm not even sure the Wire was the Wire. . . .

That'll be on youtube soon, won't it?

And the award for the hardest working motherfuckers in television in 2015 goes to the animators of tonight's Rick and Morty episode. I would have loved to have seen the looks on their faces when told how many new character models they had to create from scratch.

"Steve wasn't real!?"

"He was a real piece of shit!"

:D

• Like 1

Finished watching season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire over the weekend. Loved it. As good as the first season? I dunno. But really good. They do such a terrific job of capturing the time period - the rebel/hacker ethos, the spirit of innovation, all that. It isn't perfect (not crazy about giving Gordon brain damage and having it progress REALLY fast) and some stuff makes no sense (so...Mutiny's userbase all got switched to a different service because their network got changed, even though that wouldn't touch any user records or login information? C'mon.) So ignore that stuff and just enjoy the show. Definitely one of my favorite TV shows going right now and it sure doesn't hurt that Mackenzie Davis and Kerry Bishe are really, really easy on the eyes. 8/10.