DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 TV THREAD!

DEAN

Part of me thinks that Showalter must be on antidepressants or other meds and they have caused him to get a little puffy. This is completely baseless speculation but that was my first thought. 

The whole show is amazing. Everything about it is awesome. It's exactly what the Arrested Development Netflix season should have been. I think she show is equally quotable to the movie, which is an accomplishment.

Really enjoyed WHAS:FDAC (not typing all that shit). I thought it had a noticeably lighter tone than the movie, which I rewatched after I watched the show. The movie gets kinda dark, the show was pretty goofy. The new cast members were good, and the backstory to some the parts of the movie was hilarious. I really hope they go through with the idea of doing a reunion series in 10 years. A++

Mr. Robot.   Never fail at being awesome.  Every subsequent episode kicks my ass more than the previous one.

Poor Gloria.  You wanted the truth from Eliot and now you have it.  Wasn't the lie better?

I'm watching Class of 1999 on Chiller and Joshua John Miller showed up; you might remember him as the kid vampire in Near Dark and the kid brother in River's Edge. I looked him up to find out what he's been up to all these years later and apparently he did some stage work, writing and directing and is writing the USA Network version of Telemundo's La Reina del Sur, entitled Queen of the South: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/usa-network-gives-series-order-to-queen-of-the-south-1201492999/

It really is good to hear of a child actor that didn't end up ODing or being extremely fucked up, though apparently his semi-autobiographical The Mao Story says a little otherwise...

In the evening, after I get offline, The Wife peruses Netflix and Hulu for shows we can watch together. I have little say as to what gets watched. Luckily she has been on an X-Files binge and that has been case "Wow, I forgot [insert actor I like here] was on X-Files (prime example last night was Ryan Reynolds).

Then there are those shows that I never had any intention of watching but I watch with her because I love her or something. One such show is Hindsight, a little drama VH-1 put out about a woman in her 40s traveling back in time in to her the body of hr 20 something self. Needless to say, her life in her 40s isn't ideal so she goes around trying to change things and everything slowly  starts blowing up in her face as the Universe keeps trying to set it self right despite her mucking about.

I ended up watching all of this show with The Wife and... it turns out it isn't half bad for a chick-centric time travel show. If you can get through the first few episodes it certainly picks up as certain things start falling into place. Give it shot and determine if marriage has made me soft and woman like.

James

I am very late to a lot of games. Now that I finished Parks and Recreation, I decided to give Breaking Bad about five years after the fact. I got through the first 10 episodes and it didn't click for me. A lot of it is because I've heard from so many people how amazing it is. Brian Cranston was absolutely fantastic but none of the other characters did a thing for me and/or irritated me (the sister-in-law). Maybe I'll give it another try at some point but I'm not sure.

But I decided to try Party Down, which I somehow also never watched. This show is great and hilarious. My favorite part is how well the conceit allows for non-recurring characters to add to the show without any complexities. Also, Jane Lynch is the best.

Man, I hope I'm not the only watching Comedy Central's "Review" show.  It just came back for a second season and it's still hilarious.  Andy Daly kills it.

Give it a shot, guys.  I wouldn't steer you wrong. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I am very late to a lot of games. Now that I finished Parks and Recreation, I decided to give Breaking Bad about five years after the fact. I got through the first 10 episodes and it didn't click for me. A lot of it is because I've heard from so many people how amazing it is. Brian Cranston was absolutely fantastic but none of the other characters did a thing for me and/or irritated me (the sister-in-law). Maybe I'll give it another try at some point but I'm not sure.

Breaking Bad doesn't really get good until Saul Goodman shows up, which is actually 6-8 episodes into season 2. Jesse Pinkman becomes much more interesting around the same time.

Skylar is always horrible though.

Breaking Bad really switches gears when GUS FRING shows up. If it still hasn't grabbed you by then I would be surprised.

Season 3 seems like the point where they started working with an endgame in mind. Season 3 and 4 is one of the all time great two season runs in TV history.

• Like 1

I finished Breaking Bad a few days ago. It never grabbed me. Gus was definitely a cool character, and I liked Mike as well, but apart from that... Meh. I just don't see the big deal about Breaking Bad. I wouldn't have continued watching it past the second season if I hadn't been told that things would really kick off in the third season, and by that time I just wanted to see the rest of it as well. Too many unlikable and boring characters, and the stories themselves didn't interest me all that much either. I'm deeply disappointed.

Up next: True Detective, followed by The Wire. I try to keep my expectations low.

• Like 1

Part of me thinks that Showalter must be on antidepressants or other meds and they have caused him to get a little puffy. This is completely baseless speculation but that was my first thought.

The whole show is amazing. Everything about it is awesome. It's exactly what the Arrested Development Netflix season should have been. I think she show is equally quotable to the movie, which is an accomplishment.

"By the end of the summer, everyone will feel 15 years younger!"

(***)

I need to re-watch the season then because I just felt like it was too weird, even weirder than the movie that I love. A few parts were funny, but the majority just didn't grab me in the same way the movie did.

So apparently captaining the Cornelia Marie on Deadliest Catch is a curse.

Tony Lara died this weekend while attending the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Lara joined the Cornelia Marie (and Deadliest Catch) replacing Phil Harris after his death in 2010

I have been (very slowly) working my way through Season 1 of The Wire. (Yes, I am in that sad group that has never worked through this series).

I got through episode 8 last night, which featured the iconic Omar "You come at the king..." line.

I don't for every episode, but I have been reading Sepinwall's "Newbie" recaps while watching some of these. They make for good companion pieces.

• Like 4